May 25, 2020, 09:15:21 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlantic Rock Crabs (peekytoe)  (Read 11353 times)
neiko333

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 01:43:31 PM »

Thank you! Didn't even know where it was and had to look it up on the net; found it around the lower end of New Jersey? <sigh> Unfortunately, that's one heck of a drive for me. Wish these tasty critters would swim a bit further north.

The term "Peekytoe" is the Maine name for them. I know Maine might be a bit of a drive for you too, but like you I am between Maine and New Jersey and these are the crabs I always get. I am north of Cape Cod in the cold waters of Massachusetts Bay. If you are in NY they must be near you too.

My method of hunting was always drifting over seaweed beds while freediving at low tide. I know they are under rocks too but freediving is done one breath at a time and moving rocks burned too much oxygen.

Any place I was seeing lobsters, was good rock crab hunting. I am new to blue crabbing, truthfully never caught one yet, but I would try jetties and rocky areas for Peekytoe.

On a side note, I used to freedive spearfish in RI waters. I don't remember seeing alot of rock crab, but I was chasing stripers so I wasn't looking. The warmer waters down your may need a different strategy, but they are out there....in the millions

Now I want to go peekytoing..... think my wife would notice if I was absent for a few hours on mothers day at dawn?Huh
Dale4life

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 11:18:47 AM »

Hey guys, glad I came across this topic. I was just asked by a friend of mine who lives in south jersey about rock crabs. Reading through this I saw that you guys do in fact catch them around the barnegat area. I was wondering how do you go about crabbing for them and when is the right time to go and also the bait of choice? I am kinda getting the winter blues and was looking for something new to try this winter. It would have to be land based as I already put the boat to bed for the winter. Thanks for any help/info!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home