November 15, 2018, 08:36:33 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Imported Crab Meat Flooding Baltimore Harbor  (Read 6341 times)
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« on: December 22, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/sun-investigates/bs-md-sun-investigates-crabs-20141213-story.html

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 05:35:51 AM »

A lot of crabs and crab meat is mislabeled as Maryland's. Look for the 2015 legislature to require label of origin on both whole crab and meat.
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 07:19:47 AM »

These guys should be in charge of Patrolling the southern border............... Wink
I just think it's funny that the guy thats in charge of labeling Maryland Seafood (True Blue)is a former Seafood Importer...
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 07:31:53 AM »

Gene that's great because he knows what to look for when dealing with imposter imports and gets paid to do it.
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:29:56 PM »

Wink
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:32:44 PM by genecrabman » Logged

genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »

Gene that's great because he knows what to look for when dealing with imposter imports and gets paid to do it.

Maybe so..............I guess it created jobs under O'Malley... Wink  You have more Faith in Mr. Vilnit than I do......... Roll Eyes
 I choose not to eat imported seafood too, but I don't want DNR and other groups to be able to RAID, a Restaurant (Maybe with Guns Out) while me and my family may be eatting there......Did you know the "True Blue" Program gave DNR that "Right"??
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:34:00 PM by genecrabman » Logged
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »

Maybe so..............I guess it created jobs under O'Malley... Wink  You have more Faith in Mr. Vilnit than I do......... Roll Eyes
 I choose not to eat imported seafood too, but I don't want DNR and other groups to be able to RAID, a Restaurant (Maybe with Guns Out) while me and my family may be eatting there......Did you know the "True Blue" Program gave DNR that "Right"??

True Blue authorized no such thing.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 01:23:46 PM »

True Blue authorized no such thing.

No Pissing match Rich.............But all Restaurants that signed up for the True Blue Program can be CHECKED by DNR,  Have their cooler randsacked and  have their Seafood Removed/Impounded.. .....Probably both their local and imported seafood.........If you don't think so....You better check into it............... Wink
Have you ever heard the way DNR makes a bust/ Raid ?  I've heard of several occasions where they even have gun drawn......Just saying, be careful for what you want to represent.....
I don't have a problem with the labeling of the seafood...It's the way they might enforce it that sucks...JMO
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »

I never claimed to have faith in anyone Gene esp. DNR and NRP but i do have to deal with them so i will do so with the same respect they give me, if you catchmy drift.
JIMMYCRAB

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »

Do any of you really think that restaurants use even fresh crabmeat , much less Maryland crabmeat? Maybe, just maybe, one out of fifty. More like one out of a hundred. I get price lists weekly from my seafood wholesalers.  9 times out of  10  Maryland meat .....N/A.  Where is it going?  New York and Japan where they will pay more $ for it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:12:12 PM by JIMMYCRAB » Logged

Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon .....when you don't have any smoked salmon.

genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »

Do any of you really think that restaurants use even fresh crabmeat , much less Maryland crabmeat? Maybe, just maybe, one out of fifty. More like one out of a hundred. I get price lists weekly from my seafood wholesalers.  9 times out of  10  Maryland meat .....N/A.  Where is it going?  New York and Japan where they will pay more $ for it.

I even recall seeing a post where "True Blue" even "SET" the price of the True Blue Crabs,,,,But it's not about Control.... Roll Eyes
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 03:36:33 PM »

I doubt there is much MD meat even being picked.

Bushel market is too lucrative.
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »

No Pissing match Rich.............But all Restaurants that signed up for the True Blue Program can be CHECKED by DNR,  Have their cooler randsacked and  have their Seafood Removed/Impounded.. .....Probably both their local and imported seafood.........If you don't think so....You better check into it............... Wink
Have you ever heard the way DNR makes a bust/ Raid ?  I've heard of several occasions where they even have gun drawn......Just saying, be careful for what you want to represent.....
I don't have a problem with the labeling of the seafood...It's the way they might enforce it that sucks...JMO

LOL, that's not even close to true.  True Blue is a program run by the seafood marketing department, which has no enforcement authority to seize anything.  Participation in the program is now 100% voluntary. All they can do is check receipts to verify that an establishment uses 75% Maryland crab product, and if they don't, remove them from the program.  http://seafood.maryland.gov/true-blue-maryland-crab-meat/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:55:50 PM by Mr. Breeze » Logged

genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »

LOL, that's not even close to true

The part about DNR searching the Restaurants that signed up for the "True Blue" or what other part?
I forgot to mention that DNR can request to check all their Invoices too... Wink Or just Take them by force if they don't comply.............. Roll Eyes

Better check with Steve Vilnit... Wink
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:59:52 PM by genecrabman » Logged
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 04:02:16 PM »

LOL, that's not even close to true.  True Blue is a program run by the seafood marketing department, which has no enforcement authority to seize anything.  Participation in the program is now 100% voluntary. All they can do is check receipts to verify that an establishment uses 75% Maryland crab product, and if they don't, remove them from the program.  http://seafood.maryland.gov/true-blue-maryland-crab-meat/

I never said True Blue would confiscate or enforce it..........True Blue "CONTACTS" DNR and they will do the dirty work...

CORRECT??

Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »

I never said True Blue would confiscate or enforce it..........True Blue "CONTACTS" DNR and they will do the dirty work...

CORRECT??

No, not correct.  the only enforcement is removal from the program.  It's likely to be an obsolete program by next year anyway.  Believe what you want but please don't slander a program that is good for the Maryland commercial crabbers.  As I don't want or need the aggravation, this is the last reply I'll type on this subject.

fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 05:40:55 PM »

The imported crab meat that actually started all of the imports is actually not that bad.  Phillips taught locals who caught, cooked, picked, canned and shipped crab meat from the Philippines.  It worked great for restaurants with a 1 year refrigerated shelf life.  At the time this crab meat started showing up here, Maryland local crab meat was far from all great.  Backfin would be on the top layer then under it was all special.  Then they started with lump and jumbo lump and super lump and 20 other different names for the same [shiz].  You could only get it 4 or 5 months out of the year.  Frozen it just doesn't hold up.  Indonesia and Chinese sucks but I'd buy a crab cake made with filipino meat.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:43:22 PM by fishingtom » Logged
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 08:22:05 PM »

No, not correct.  the only enforcement is removal from the program.  It's likely to be an obsolete program by next year anyway.  Believe what you want but please don't slander a program that is good for the Maryland commercial crabbers.  As I don't want or need the aggravation, this is the last reply I'll type on this subject.

When I questioned Mr Vilnit he told me that DNR would step in..................Maybe you should ask him...Never BITE the hand that feeds you.......... Wink
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »

The imported crab meat that actually started all of the imports is actually not that bad.  Phillips taught locals who caught, cooked, picked, canned and shipped crab meat from the Philippines.  It worked great for restaurants with a 1 year refrigerated shelf life.  At the time this crab meat started showing up here, Maryland local crab meat was far from all great.  Backfin would be on the top layer then under it was all special.  Then they started with lump and jumbo lump and super lump and 20 other different names for the same [shiz].  You could only get it 4 or 5 months out of the year.  Frozen it just doesn't hold up.  Indonesia and Chinese sucks but I'd buy a crab cake made with filipino meat.

Phillips donates tons of money into the Maryland seafood programs,even the MWA...........I'm sure they'll get what ever they need to continue to import millions of pounds of meat........Maryland can not catch enough crabs to feed the demand...Thats the problem with this "True Blue" program working at a 100% honest program.............
JIMMYCRAB

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 01:10:40 AM »

Indonesia and Chinese sucks but I'd buy a crab cake made with filipino meat.
    The Philippine meat and the Indonesian meat are the same. Portunis pelagicus. The Chinese meat,  Portunis Hanni is the garbage. The problem is that the crabs are caught so deep that they die on the way up and are processed dead making the meat  soft and chalky. Some Hanni processes are now cooking their catch on board yielding a better textured product and demanding a higher price. Not as high as the Pelagicus  but close. Most restaurant operators are only concerned with price and buy the cheapest meat they can find. There's an old saying in the restaurant business. There's meat you eat and meat you sell. Buyer beware!!!

Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon .....when you don't have any smoked salmon.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home