August 17, 2018, 12:53:17 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad Day for Maryland  (Read 18465 times)
redhanded

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 08:26:51 PM »

You guys want to worry about the Md farms you should be worrying about the Pa and NY farms.  There is more acreage in those two states that wash into the bay then what's in the md, and those guys up north could give a rats azz.  Just take a ride through Lancaster, and eastern York counties and count the open tilled Amish farms.  Plus the you have the 3 lower dams on the Susquehanna river that are over holding capacity with the sediment build up.   Then you got the sweet heart deal the city of Baltimore  got from the EPA to dump sewage into the bay watershed without being pentilized, as long as they PLAN to fix the problem in the future.
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »

Evidently the high ups in the CBF were OweMalley-Brown people and thought the gravy train would continue.

MikeInMathews

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 11:44:34 AM »

As Jack noted, this was just published and hasn't even gone into effect (planned for Feb 2). 
big red

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 08:50:08 PM »

if everybody thinks eastern shore chickens are ruining the bay
then why does lower bay have more crabs more oysters more grass then upper bay, cause we all know sh!^ rolls down hill so all the waste from chicken farming should just go south and flow into the ocean. what say you

and if you don't like the smell of farming just move and you wont be offended

farming has been here longer than we have why should a farmer have to change their practices because someone bought a piece of property near his fields and doesn't like it

redhanded

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 10:14:01 PM »

Any body else ever  wonder what these "Deicing chemicals" that are used now a days, does to the Bay ecosystem?

double E

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 10:28:43 AM »

It just comes down to money and politics as always. It was way cheaper to throw regulations at the farm industry than it is to adress what i feel is the real problem and thats sediment control. If i got my science right no sediment/run off = more grasses, more grasses = using and depliting the nitrogen in the bay. But then again that sounds to easy so I must be wrong.
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »

It just comes down to money and politics as always. It was way cheaper to throw regulations at the farm industry than it is to adress what i feel is the real problem and thats sediment control. If i got my science right no sediment/run off = more grasses, more grasses = using and depliting the nitrogen in the bay. But then again that sounds to easy so I must be wrong.

we have the same ''pollution'' discussion going on down here (Fl.) .  I often state that our Indian River problem resembles the Bay's problem as to 99% of the people,politicians,agencies,and the media all pointing to the farmers...It's the easy thing to do..  with modern testing procedures that are available today, there is no reason why the so called pollution can not be identified, measured and traced back to it's source... septic tanks,road run off, suburban lawn fertilizers,herbicides,pesticides all show up as the main problem down here, but,  IT"S THE FARMERS that get the blame
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:57:57 PM by saltysenior » Logged
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 06:04:36 PM »

I read a report, years ago, from the "Tributary Teams"  http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/waters/tribstrat/  that stated that one of the top pollution sources were hobby farms.  Folks that have a few acres so that they can have a horse or two.  Most all hobby farms have a stream.  And each hobby farm has a manure pile.  Hobby farmers have no idea what to do with the manure and it just piles up.  Leaching into the stream that runs across the property.  Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
micker

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 09:23:20 AM »

I live near the Susquehanna and I have to agree with redhanded,wells where I live are polluted with nitrates. my latest test showed 27ppm. yet I look out my window 22 degrees outside and watch the farmer constantly spraying. Cry. smaller streams that feed the susky once held trout are now lifeless.we have been trying to stop this for years and are getting nowhere fast. what were once small family farms are now huge factory farms or terrorists on tractors as I call them. as far as crop rotation goes, It just doesn't exist here anymore.corn and soybeans every year now for the past few years. also the cancer rate is thru the roof. no one here dies of old age anymore. I live in a small town and we have cancer in just about every house including children dying from cancer.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »

So Now Gov. Hogan has had the new regs reviewed and changed a few things it looks like the run off plan will go into effect so where is CBF support?Huh?? Still seems complicated but won't be as bad for farmers from what i can understand of all this.

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 12:56:19 PM »

Sounds like y'all are talking about Lake Pontchartrain.  Here we have small farms on the North side of lake Pontchartrain which their runoff goes into the Lake.  But out biggest concern is the Mississippi river.  You guys just have to worry about a small/big problem between states.  Here in Louisiana the Mississippi drains the entire middle of the country (farm belt) and industrial (chemical) plants.  Whenever the river comes to 13' here in New Orleans the Bonnet Carre' spillway floods into Lake Pontchartrain.  You can bet come late spring and summer that there will be an algae bloom in the lake killing everything in its path.

Same thing in the Gulf of Mexico except it is called RED TIDE.  Again Mississippi River is the culprit.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
camocrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 08:27:19 PM »

I understand the concern with the farming run off. Food for thought: With all the houses built in the last twenty years or so how many homeowners contract a lawn service to spray their lawn with chemicals to kill dandelions? Everyone wants a lawn that is perfectly green with no yellow. Also with that being said there has been an issue with bees. I know I lost two hives last year. Something to think about before the farmer gets all the blame.

Bill

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home