August 19, 2018, 03:53:44 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Crawfish Expedition of 2015  (Read 16119 times)
BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 01:14:05 PM »

I am sure there are crawfish in Florida.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 07:58:11 PM »

For the first time today I treated my two sons to some tasty crawfish and now they want more. These were pre-cooked, so I just reheated them and they were pretty good but I would imagine not as good as Capt Ron and BJ1fish would steam them.  Grin Grin, I wish I could have some fresh from the gulf coast waters but this is all I could get here in Delaware.

But my question is, how do you get all of that meat out of the claws?? I kept using my blue claw crab mallet and banged those claws to pieces and got mush.  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh :laugh. Just kidding. But seriously, I guess with crawfish it's just the tail that you get all of your meat and then suck out the juices from the head part of the body, is that right?
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 08:05:19 PM »

But my question is, how do you get all of that meat out of the claws?? I kept using my blue claw crab mallet and banged those claws to pieces and got mush.  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh :laugh. Just kidding. But seriously, I guess with crawfish it's just the tail that you get all of your meat and then suck out the juices from the head part of the body, is that right?

Actually, on the larger crawfish you can get meat out of the claw.  You just pull down on the bottom pincher of the claw and pull the meat out.  Not much meat, but it is good.

With the little ones we got the other day you were lucky to get meat out of the tail.  My wife got some yesterday and they were much bigger.  I opted for soft-shelled crabs instead. (I did have to sample some of her's, though.)

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 09:11:52 PM »

For the first time today I treated my two sons to some tasty crawfish and now they want more. These were pre-cooked, so I just reheated them and they were pretty good but I would imagine not as good as Capt Ron and BJ1fish would steam them.  Grin Grin, I wish I could have some fresh from the gulf coast waters but this is all I could get here in Delaware.

But my question is, how do you get all of that meat out of the claws?? I kept using my blue claw crab mallet and banged those claws to pieces and got mush.  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh :laugh. Just kidding. But seriously, I guess with crawfish it's just the tail that you get all of your meat and then suck out the juices from the head part of the body, is that right?

Steam them?  I know you guys steam your crabs up there and I have even steamed crabs a couple of times but crawfish defiantly need to be boiled. The tail meat and sucking the heads is pretty much it. I also like the yellow fat or mustard. Like Craig said you can get a little meat from larger claws. Your claw meat was mushy because they were frozen. How much do the frozen ones cost up there? I see them in the grocery store here but have never bought any. It is like buying frozen boiled crabs.  However if I could not get live ones here I am sure I would have tried some by now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:13:24 PM by BJ1fish » Logged
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »

I bought these from a grocery store and they were chilled on ice. They were already cooked so not sure how they cooked them, when I go back for more I will ask them. They were $4.99 a pound. The tail meat was nice and firm like lobster is and was tasty so they did a good job however they cooked them.

Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 11:42:40 AM »

I have had them both ways. The frozen ones I reheated and dipped the tail meat in hot butter.
The fresh boiled ones I pinched the tails, sucked the heads, and repeated till nothing left but shells.
Obviously, the fresh boiled are best, don't forget to add a little olive oil in the boil pot, it adds a little something extra. Lagniappe.

Say brother....can you spare a crab...
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »

SWEET

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print