October 20, 2018, 01:01:20 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time restrictions for rec. crabbers  (Read 6068 times)
Toothman

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »

Hi Folks,
  My first post on the forum. Today I was told by the Virginia Marine Resources Commission that recreational crabbing in Va. starts June 1st. It looks like on their website though you can stat rec. crabbing on March 17th. If I'm just hand-lining and using crab net rings, can I start March 17th? I think the guys at the VMRC might have been referring to the Rec.Gear Lisc. of up to 5 pots being from June 1 to Sept. 15.
   Also, are there any time restraints (as in no crabbing at night) if I'm hand-lining and using crab net rings? Thank you
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 04:15:35 PM »

You can crab 24/7/365 with hand lines or traps.  Pots can be set March 17th thru Nov 31.  You can use 2 pots per person or buy a 5 pot gear license.  The season for the 5 pot license is as you stated above....  It was shorten a couple of years ago when pot reduction rules were put against the commercial crabbers.  Then shortened again with this crab shortage. Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Toothman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »

Thanks Jack,
  Just to be clear, I can hand-line and use crab ring traps any day of the year in Va.?
tbishop

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 05:22:32 PM »

You can try hand line crabbing today, lots of luck (crabs are in the mud in bay), if you trotline you need a license [cheap good for the year]. Hand line rec crabbers can crab anytime of year in Va, would not be prudent til May water warms up, June/July for any weight... Un written rule throw back female, all crabs must be 5 inches written rule, and Jack says there is no crabs in Va at least not now!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 05:31:30 PM »

Thanks Jack,
  Just to be clear, I can hand-line and use crab ring traps any day of the year in Va.?
yes... 

tbishop

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »

Have had lots of success crabbing at night, hand lines off a dock. Best time early morning or late afternoon, but w/ flashlight night crabbing can be fun and w/ full moon walking around reeds in 2/3 feet of water you can find soft shells, also look for mating crabs around pier pilings nite or day in the summer... Hopes this helps w/ questions.
tj3633

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 01:18:00 AM »

Seems like the vmrc is confused by their own rules.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 08:42:34 AM »

At the time, my information came from Jack Travelstead. He was the Commissioner of the VMRC (retired now).  Jack was not confused at all.  Grin

VAC 20-270-40. Season limits.

A. In 2014 and 2015, the lawful seasons for the commercial harvest of crabs by crab pot shall be March 17 through November 30. For all other lawful commercial gear used to harvest crabs, as described in 4 VAC 20-1040, the lawful seasons for the harvest of crabs shall be March 17 through September 15 in 2014 and May 1 through November 30 in 2015.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to harvest crabs or to possess crabs on board a vessel, except during the lawful season, as described in subsection A of this section.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home