August 17, 2018, 03:04:14 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate change causing Blue Crabs to migrate further north?  (Read 5357 times)
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« on: March 10, 2015, 09:36:32 AM »

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/23116/20150309/tasty-blue-crab-creeping-north-climate-change.htm

9th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 22-23, 2018
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:41:26 AM »

2 words..........   Hurricane Sandy.  Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:54:33 AM »

2 words..........   Hurricane Sandy.  Cool

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Dirichlet

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »

I wouldn't go so far as to call "climate change" responsible.  H*ll, even the article says that blue crabs were up there for a bit in the 50s.  80 miles north of where they're typically seen is nothing when it comes to distances in oceans...  They start infesting the St. Lawrence I'll start believing something is odd.
wildturkey101
Lifetime Member

My Crabbing Buddies

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:41:51 PM »

I didn't see any mention of salinity being checked, slight changes in the salt levels can change where you'll find the crabs, although ocean salt levels are probably very tough to change without some significant weather events.

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »

Betcha water temp has more to do with it then salinity.

In 2010 crabs were in big numbers further up in the Susky then I've ever seen before or since.  Salinity recorded on the yellow NOAA buoy at the mouth of the river at Perry Point never exceeded .02ppt. in 2010, which is normal in that area. Crabs will go in fresh water with no problem as long as its warm enough and there's enough oxygen.  I agree that the hurricane sent em way further north, but probably due more to water temp then salinity.

Here's a crab with I-95 in background where the highway crosses the Susq.
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 07:08:13 AM »

I saw NJ ocean temps @ 27.5 deg F. at the end of February. Is that "warming"? What is the limiting factor: min temp in Winter; max in Summer; average temp during non-hiberating season? If min Winter temp controls, how far will blue crabs migrate after emerging from the mud? For the premise to be substantiated, all of those questions (and more) would need to be answered. If the answer was "yes", how long would it be before we NJ crabbers get to regularly pull up world class mumbos (the most important question of all:)?

-Samiam (I'm a warming cynic, not a skeptic)
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 06:40:11 AM »

After this cold winter I think we will have a pretty good idea of what the truth is. Like I said in another topic, the water temp up here is 3-3.5 colder than last year ,and 5-6 degrees colder than 2013.
masspi

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 09:14:36 AM »

I think it is wishful thinking to expect harvestable amounts of blue crab north of the upper limits of the range, (Southcoast Massachusetts).  There have always been reports of blue crab as far north as Friendship, ME.  The occasional crab does not indicate a change in the range.  The winters in Massachusetts have been quite harsh the past few years, (it is never nice).  Most years the snow cover and ice cover have been minimal.  This has had a marked increase on the volume of winter kill.  This year everything changes.  Heavy snow (broke all time records) and persistent ice coverage.  I am just starting to see some open water close to bridges.  The salinity levels have been pretty consistent over the years as well.  I expect some of that to change as the terrific snow pack is melting very fast and it all winds up in Buzzards Bay.  The huge influx of fresh water will have a temporary effect on salinity. 

We just can't make firm decisions on the effect of warming.  The database is too insufficient.  I am no scientist, but a keen observer for well over 60 years and am not ready to buy into the rapid change school just yet. 
queue3

I Hate Crabs! I sell Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 02:23:24 PM »

Great news if true.  You guys up in the Chesapeake might start getting our delicious and plentiful NC crabs in your waters. And maybe we will start getting some of those giant 12" Louisiana crabs.

Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 11:29:44 PM »

Great news if true.  You guys up in the Chesapeake might start getting our delicious and plentiful NC crabs in your waters. And maybe we will start getting some of those giant 12" Louisiana crabs.

Smiley  laugh

as I wait for any sign of warming

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home