December 14, 2019, 03:32:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE NAVESINK?  (Read 5410 times)
lmk52

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »

I normally crab in the Navesink at Redbank. Since Sandy crabbing has not been so good there
for me. How have others made out there? Any thoughts on Why? And whats the outlook for this year? (2015)
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »

Every year is different , hope for the best in 2015

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
CLIFF
In Memoriam (6/2019)

CLIFF 526

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:28:13 AM »

Red bank has been dead for 3 years now dont waste your time, unless a miracle happens,however east has been excellent the last few years.Give it a try.

TRUTH BE TOLD IS NOT ONLY MY CATCH PHRASE
IT IS MY WORD GOOD OR BAD
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »

Yea like Cliff said.   Red Bank totally died after Hurricane Irene August 2011.  That was a real crabbers' honey hole for years before it.  And even the week before Irene was hot.   Hurricane Sandy could not kill a place already dead for two seasons.  In fact I was hoping Sandy would jump start Red Bank in 2013 and 2014.  It did NOT.  

Red bank has been dead for 3 years now dont waste your time, unless a miracle happens,however east has been excellent the last few years.Give it a try.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:06:06 AM by Capt. Frank » Logged

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
jc81

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »

East of the Oceanic Bridge and south into Shrewsbury?
Trying to decide where to rent out of the earliest it warms up.
Oceanport has a new rental marina this year.
Thanks guys
jc
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:34:26 AM by jc81 » Logged

Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:01:33 PM »

That's good to have a Shrewsbury rental.  Was only Oceanic, Irwins and the Red Bank guys on the Navesink.

Thanks guys
jc

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 03:40:48 PM »

Thanks guys
jc
Is that Oceanport landing??

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..
jc81

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 06:55:27 AM »

No this is another marina at oceanport ave and riverside ave.
According to the Red Bank Marina website this is their second new location.
They just opened at the end of the season last year.
jason22
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 06:43:21 PM »

I don't agree with the hurricane causing it.  Fact of the matter is the last couple winters were brutal.  Probably had a lot of die off.  Even after Irene, the 2012 the season was unbelievable.  As for this year, I expect the same.  A lot of cold stints with a few warm like the the last 2 years.  Can't beat nature.  Grin

"It is what it is"
crankycraber

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 08:27:13 AM »

is this a free ramp or can you buy a season permit pass thanks crankycraber

riverpop

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 09:58:13 AM »

Don't listen to any of the comments by these rookies,LOL(All but 1 has been on my boat), there were crabs in red bank when there was no rain for a 7 day period. The amount of runoff over the last 3 years has caused the already brackish water to have an extremely low salinity level. the closer you get to the shrews on the navi(east) the salinity level rises and your catch will increase. The new rental place is at the corner of Oceanport ave. and Port -a- peck rd. in Oceanport. NO SALT NO CRABS. period. There is just too much fresh water draining into the end of the Navi.... look at your maps. you just have to pick a time after no rain.... personally i wouldn't waste my time there anyway, look at the N.J. reports from everyone in oct-nov. last 2 years.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:59:44 AM by riverpop » Logged

riverpop (gary B.)
Coffeeguy

Crootr@yahoo.com

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »

Good info Gary...
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 10:22:05 AM »

I was there the Monday (8/29/2011 )right after that Hurricane Irene ( Sat-Sunday)report to Cliff/Kathy via website.     And try every year after year since... dead dead dead.  Everything west of Rte 35 bridge.. blighted.

The water had changed colors that post Irene Monday. No snappers there anymore and the water was loaded with fresh water flotsam- twigs, leaves, etc. .  There were only me and NJ Transitt boats checking the bridges there that day.  RB  Was red hot the week before and NEVER recovered.   Two weeks after Irene(9/9/11) tried again DEAD!!  And again 9/29/12 DEADIt's nice with a 25 knot boat you can try RB to Shrewsbury in the same tide.

6/15/12 RB _ DEAD west of Hi Voltage lines(Oyster Point) 1 crab of 14 caught .       6/26/12  RB DEAD west of high voltage lines (0 crabs in RB).       7/5/2012  RB DEAD & Met Cliff 1st time in person (0 crabs RB & 25 crabs east of power lines after quitting RB)      7/11/12 RB dead west of Hi voltage lines (0 crabs in RB, 55 crabs east of Oyster Point).

Been there in 2013 and 2014.    

The season sucked back there in RB west of Rte 35 Bridge post Irene .  Check your log book- you will see Jason.   Never recovered 2012,13 or 14. Hope 2015 is a change year.  Was a great honey hole straddling the RR Bridge.  The past three seasons crabbing back there was just a waste of gas.  Of course will shoot back there for 2015 too.  

We hope it recovers.

I don't agree with the hurricane causing it.  Fact of the matter is the last couple winters were brutal.  Probably had a lot of die off.  Even after Irene, the 2012 the season was unbelievable.  As for this year, I expect the same.  A lot of cold stints with a few warm like the the last 2 years.  Can't beat nature.  Grin

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 02:36:13 PM »

Hmm - i guess it's all perspective.  I went to the sink west of oceanic and did very well with just hand lines.  i registered on to this site in Aug of 2012 - and we busheled out in 2 hrs before lunchtime on a saturday.  As i recall red bank marina was swamped and sold out (labor day weekend) and everyone was catching.

Went again with just my brother later that year and we were right by that railway bridge and did just fine with handlines.  Didn't bushel  but this was my second time doing this...lol.

so maybe it just got better later in 2012?  like gary said as the weather warmed and maybe dried - the salinity increased.  Makes sense to me.  

for the record i have no idea where oyster point or high voltage lines are...so maybe i'm posting about places east of that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:24:53 PM by Hawkeye » Logged
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:26 AM »

The triple bridges in RB... th east most bridge is Rte 35.  The other side of Rte 35 Bridge is a set 120' electrical transmission towers.  You can see that from the east side of the RR bridges.   Oyster Point is a huge 8-10 story hotel/meeting spot right there on the south side corner where the river widens and the channel bends due south .   The building on the corner has a sign at the top saying "OYSTER POINT"

You dont get out much? LOL  There the main channel bends south towards Molly Pitcher Inn, Irwins, etc.   If you go straight it's a huge sandy bottom flats for the next 0.5-0.75 miles to where the Osprey nest is and the main channel resumes runnung east-west-east towards Oceanic Bridge.

The spots back there in the triple bridge area I loved for years when hot.  Used to run even further west up that creek but way too fresh water for crabs.   

Sadly I can't say the triple bridge area was anywhere near Oceanic area for production in 2012,13, or 14.   But I will hit again this year.  I ran from Rumson Ramp to the triple bridges in RB for years.  I'd be happy to do that again if the area swings back.

WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU ( but should)  IS:  Oceanic is more of a jugging area than handlining from an anchored boat.   Few anchor and crab aside from rental boat crabbers near Oceanic or Shrewsbury.  Guys like Gary Cliff and few others are running is wildly crazy numbers (20-40) of jugged traps, not hand lines.

Hmm - i guess it's all perspective.  I went to the sink west of oceanic and did very well with just hand lines.  i registered on to this site in Aug of 2012 - and we busheled out in 2 hrs before lunchtime on a saturday.  As i recall red bank marina was swamped and sold out (labor day weekend) and everyone was catching.

Went again with just my brother later that year and we were right by that railway bridge and did just fine with handlines.  Didn't bushel  but this was my second time doing this...lol.

so maybe it just got better later in 2012?  like gary said as the weather warmed and maybe dried - the salinity increased.  Makes sense to me.  

for the record i have no idea where oyster point or high voltage lines are...so maybe i'm posting about places east of that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:23:00 AM by Capt. Frank » Logged

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com

Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 01:14:52 PM »

LOl thanks Frank- i figured most people are not using hand lines.  I have a few traps but not enough to do the volume most here do.

I did very well with just handlines the day before hurricane sandy hit that area.  I posted in the honey holes the 3/4 bushel i had...it might have been more since i was using a big blue plastic bushel baskets.  I was actually tired from all the pulling and netting.  That's a very good day lol.

Since then not nearly as much luck.

Anyways thanks for the geography tips - appreciated!   Grin
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 01:41:52 PM »

I hope 2015 swings it back.   Was a nice protected area too on windy days back in RB

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
Crabbadabbado

My Little Crabbers! FBook: Lawrence Krewer Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »

okay, okay.... all this being stated, said, opinionated....... because i live up north.... and have to drive a ways down south... i have always gone to the Nav...... the last couple of years i have struck out.... so.... where is the next closest place North that you can rent a boat, and expect a nice number of the little pinchers?   this of course instead of a nice number of dollars being wasted.

Facebook: Lawrence Krewer Jr.
If you see a guy with a mohawk while crabbing... it is most likely me  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home