July 20, 2019, 01:05:23 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rec Crabber Beware II  (Read 14874 times)
Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 04:04:09 PM »

The only thing constant is change itself...

You've got to expect with increased population and price for commercially caught crabs there will be increased rec crabbers.

Similar story for hunting and hunting property...the difference is that new hunters' housing is built on old hunting grounds, but luckily new crabbers can't do the same to the rivers.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 04:05:44 PM »

Your focus has to be finding ways to work with both rec and commercial operations, and make deals that will benefit both sides, NOT just one.  Give and take.  The focus can't be on shutting down commercial fishermen, but rather trying to find a middle ground (if there is one)

A very tough task, indeed, and so far that middle ground has been hard to find.

Git 'r dun!
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 04:10:10 PM »

Greg, the way I read that is...  Between commercially licensed crabbers Huh

Correct. But like I said above, it would not have been hard to change the wording.

Seaweed, we will find a middle ground. In the mean time, we will get rolled over if we don't push back the line. The rec's didn't start this...
Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 04:11:05 PM »

Just in case there are doubters about the 1/2 mile trotline [curd], check it out. Sure, it was for distance between comm to comm trotline, but how hard would it have been to change "comm" to "any"? Just like the 'big' mistake with the PFD law that almost went thru... Angry

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/recreational/sfacmarch1703.html

Yeah, and how often is the 100' adhered to (on the rec side)!!!  Many times guys have come alone and set their traps where I could pull them on the port side and dip my trot on the stbd side...lets see, 8' beam so yeah about 9.5' from my line! 

Whatever, it's still better than the aggravation at work.
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 04:15:28 PM »

Yeah, and how often is the 100' adhered to (on the rec side)!!!  Many times guys have come alone and set their traps where I could pull them on the port side and dip my trot on the stbd side...lets see, 8' beam so yeah about 9.5' from my line! 

Whatever, it's still better than the aggravation at work.

That's an enforcement issue. Take a camera, snap their pic and show them your cell phone. Ask them if they know the DNR's 800 number.

Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 04:16:31 PM »

Correct. But like I said above, it would not have been hard to change the wording.

Seaweed, we will find a middle ground. In the mean time, we will get rolled over if we don't push back the line. The rec's didn't start this...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...who thinks it's broke?  Crab population OK?
Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 04:21:22 PM »

That's an enforcement issue. Take a camera, snap their pic and show them your cell phone. Ask them if they know the DNR's 800 number.

I just laugh if off...they're not hurtin' me.  Good idea though, that would be a riot.

besides "if you're crabby, you might get caught and steamed"

Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 04:22:51 PM »

Remind them that if it wasn't for you guys.  Chuck Schnaitmans business wouldn't have increased.  How else do you think he was able to get those new Carolina Skiffs?  Economic impact to the locals.

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 04:23:29 PM »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...who thinks it's broke?  Crab population OK?

The comm's think it's broke. Did you read 'Rec Crabber Beware'? They are pushing for some new regulations to limit the numbers and/or gear of the rec crabbers.
Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »

That is impossible, everyone is just about everyone is close to breaking the law in the summer.  Especially on the wye.  Thing is..  it is ok if someone asks, I only have a problem when someone puts on me and their is room everywhere and they don't ask.  I always ask everyone which way they are going to set up and keep out of their way rec or comm.   Most people are great. 

You're right about that S-TOP...a little communication DOES go along way. 

If you're new to the scene or if you're just typically oblivious, take a few minutes to size up everyone's runs, traps, trot etc. and run up and talk to them to ask where their trot line is and if you'll mess them up if you lay out in this direction etc.  That little bit of consideration will probably avoid any conflict.   They may even give you some tips...sometimes guys are getting ready to pick up and you can set out in their spot.

Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2006, 04:54:25 PM »

The comm's think it's broke. Did you read 'Rec Crabber Beware'? They are pushing for some new regulations to limit the numbers and/or gear of the rec crabbers.

Oh, ok.  I'll read it.  That's a touchy subject now isn't it.  I have several friends that are commercial crabbers, I respect the work they do quite a bit, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they have "first right" to the crabs. 

Philosophically, crab rights are not owned by recs or comms.  Provided adequate crab population, they are a natural resource the public should be able to leverage.  Either by 1) catching them ourselves or 2) buying them through a commercial crabber.  To overly restrict option 1 puts a monopoly on option 2.

I may get blasted by the commercial guys...that's fine, but when it comes down to it, their customers are ultimately folks who choose not to catch their own crabs.  I guess put it this way...a crab in the water is anyone's crab until it's in a boat or pot.
redneckshoreboy

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2006, 06:10:04 PM »

All the BS we have to deal with! I am speaking for both the CC and the REC!

Its a shame!You just have to fight for every dam thing you got, or ever gonna have !

Worst part of it is, when it comes right down to it, we will have some dum sob, who doesn't know the first thing about a crab, make the call !

I think first thing that needs to happen, is like someone allready mentioned,
MORE DNR LAW INFORCEMENT!
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2006, 07:12:50 PM »

I will have to agree with shoreboy on this one. It is just like any other legal system be it criminal or civil. I truly believe before they start passing out new laws maby just maby enforce the god [dang] laws they have now.

I am so tired of everyones whining about this everyone here bitching about this meeting and who went.....not one person. So please lets put this to rest  No one is going to do a dam thing about it so let the cards lay and live with it. Think about it instead of complaining about the new laws and the lack of DNR officers why don't you do your part and help them out, give a tip, tell on someone or do nothing except complain.

I now have a list.
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2006, 07:45:56 PM »

JMO Wink Rules are in place.. Regs to be followed rec and comm. Courtesy to be shown, rec and comm. It's all here already. If I see you taking food off a comms plate, I'm gonna dime you out. If I see you cut a recs traps, I'm Dime'n you out. It's already in place, but needs to be enforced. If not enough DNR's , make a call. Help them out. Help out your brother crabber. This is little more than a family disagreement. (at this point) No need for family feud. We are our own answer....or not! Lips Sealed

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2006, 09:16:19 PM »

I will have to agree with shoreboy on this one. It is just like any other legal system be it criminal or civil. I truly believe before they start passing out new laws maby just maby enforce the god [dang] laws they have now.

I am so tired of everyones whining about this everyone here bitching about this meeting and who went.....not one person. So please lets put this to rest  No one is going to do a dam thing about it so let the cards lay and live with it. Think about it instead of complaining about the new laws and the lack of DNR officers why don't you do your part and help them out, give a tip, tell on someone or do nothing except complain.

I could be wrong, but I belive this meeting was a closed meeting with just the advisory board and DNR.  They are required by law to hold 4 meetings a year.  When a proposed change is to take place then they invite the public to give there input. 

As far as the @itching goes... everyone has a right to do so.  Just like they have to hear us complain about recs getting in our way.  No one is forcing anyone to visit this site.

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2006, 09:44:02 PM »

I could be wrong, but I belive this meeting was a closed meeting with just the advisory board and DNR.  They are required by law to hold 4 meetings a year.  When a proposed change is to take place then they invite the public to give there input. 

As far as the @itching goes... everyone has a right to do so.  Just like they have to hear us complain about recs getting in our way.  No one is forcing anyone to visit this site.
I couldn't agree with you more Crabslayer, and there is nothing wrong with a good heated argument every now and then, lets just don't make it personal, that's when feathers get ruffled and people get defensive, lets just keep it general and agree to disagree with out all the name calling and cussing

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
catchincrabs

Catch me if you can!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2006, 10:00:54 PM »

Ok. Time for my 2 cents. Roll Eyes I am a comm. I run pots and also run a trotline when the crabs are bunched up in the rivers. The one and only problem I have is inconsiderate PEOPLE. The dnr gave the commercial guy 1 hr headstart to lay their gear ( I for one thought this was fair even before I did this for a living) That is for another topic. When we are given a headstart to get our trotlines in the water and start our day there is nothing more irritating than running down your line and finding another trotline crossing yours. (things get intersting real quick) Not to mention if you run an auto dipper like I do, a huge mess really quick. 1) I will not run a rec. crabber out of any where. 2) I will not run my gear across theirs. The thing here is Courtesy and Common Sense. Commercial guys are laying their stuff out when it is dark they use spot lights that can be seen for miles away. If you see this and still wish to crab in the vicinity please just ask where our gear is. I for one will tell you and Tell you to drop off of either side of me or off of either end of me. If you crab on the weekend stop and see me if I know your coming I will Bolster you a spot and we will both be happy. In short just take the time to talk to us you never know you might make a friend. Grin  CC

Take a kid crabbing you wont regret it!!!
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2006, 10:38:41 PM »

OK I will give you that if it was closed door MY BAD, as far as bitching goes, anyway the laws are in place and we all need to follow them plain and simple, so when(if) you see someone breaking them and do nothing you are just as guilty as they are. I have seen many many many...hundreds even start before the start time(recs) trotlining on wed running crabs back to the dock and going back out trying to sell crabs to the same people I do while I am there. I will drop the 50cents (dime is so 10 years ago) each and every time what happens 99% of the time not a [dang] thing. and that people pisses me off to no end. this is me bitching. There are by far many more recs that break the laws than commercials. Why because they can with no repercussions. Yes I do firmly believe that there are many of you that do abide by the laws but are still as guilty as the ones that don't because you do NOTHING. Yes I have on dozens of occasions helped a rec guy out. Will I do it again? I am sure I will. Who do I believe is the cause of the majority of the crab controversy? I say we are because there is no medium. It is limited commercial why should it not be limited rec. Limit everything and everyone. Make the recs keep catch logs. Make them just as accountable as we are for anything. leak oil. mix to rich fine them also. The way I see it is if you the recs want to be treated as equals in the industry let them be equal in all ways. not just the ones that suit their wants. But like I said I am sure I would help out a rec guy if it came down to it. We do need to just co-exist and peacefully.

I now have a list.
catchincrabs

Catch me if you can!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2006, 11:12:40 PM »

Good point Geckert. If we screw up and get caught we get points on our licenses. To many points bye bye license. If a rec gets caught they pay a fine. Get caught again pay a fine and so on. If its fair for the comm. It should be the same for the recs. CC

Take a kid crabbing you wont regret it!!!
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2006, 11:21:23 PM »

....How do you screw up crabbing?

Geckert, catch logs aren't even recorded accurately amungst Commercial crabbers, what makes you think a rec crabber will do the same? As commercial crabbers, you have the ability to make money off of your catch and that speaks volumes for some of the inconviences that come with it. I don't think the "rec" crabber wants anything more, but don't want to lose any more than have already. JMO

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home