May 26, 2020, 05:11:51 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rec Crabber Beware II  (Read 15815 times)
RYASON

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2006, 09:12:03 AM »

Mr. Geckert

In response to your reply, I drive that far because the work here is slow in the winter months.  I'm like you, I dont work, I dont get paid.  So rather than sitting around I must travel to where there is work is.  For the men that take our work for lower wages, their quality may or not be as good but they are doing what they have to do as well.  I am self employed and have had to change jobs three times in 8 years.  I know what it is like to feel the pressure, serious pressure.  My job is my way of life.  You make no sense saying that it isn't.  Thank you to Mr. Crabslayer for his calm and sensable approach.  We should all take his wisdom to heart.  I am not here to insult anyone, but to let you know that watermen are not the first or the only ones who has ever had to change their way of living.  We all have.  We rec guys take offense when blame is placed on us for something that is not our fault.  As for the guys that do take 2-3 bushels a week,  in my opinion, its not good for anyone, but they are entitled to under the law.  Cracking down on the rec side still doesn't solve anything weather the laws change or not, the picture is much bigger than that, and I know you know it.  Maybe its time to cool down and think straight.  I know I need too.
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 02:16:27 PM »

Look I have said this several times I do no blame the rec guy by any means I do in fact place blame where it should be,on the STATE. There are all these laws in place to "protect us" that they enforce above and beyond, the seat belt law for one. I just can not understand how a state with as many law officers has the few DNR officers it has. Why could they not do as they do in NJ and have the state police moniter that also with their marine division. No arguement no debate thats all I have to say on this sorry about the police not being able to stop the hijacking of crabslayers old other thread..

I now have a list.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 10:24:23 AM »

Did anyone attend the hearing the other night, and if so, what was the outcome?

Git 'r dun!
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 11:02:25 AM »

Can not say that I did.sorry.

I now have a list.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 11:35:01 AM »

Did anyone attend the hearing the other night, and if so, what was the outcome?

BI??

Git 'r dun!

Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:41:10 AM »

BI??

I didn't attend. I'm trying to get a copy of the meeting minutes.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 11:44:40 AM »

I didn't attend. I'm trying to get a copy of the meeting minutes.

Brian said he thought it may have been a close-door session between DNR and the Advisory Commission?

Git 'r dun!
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 11:52:31 AM »

Brian said he thought it may have been a close-door session between DNR and the Advisory Commission?

I haven't gotten an answer yet...I don't know.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 07:56:36 AM »

That is one advantage that we have in Fla. Goverment in sunshine laws, almost impossible for them to have a closed door meeting like that. This way we have plenty of warning before they stick it to us. bigcry

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 02:13:55 PM »

Ok, here's what I have found out to date. The actual TFAC meeting minutes should be ready by late next week and posted on the DNR website.

The rec crabbing license issue was discussed. The DNR told the TFAC that while they had the authority to limit entry for that license, functionally it wouldn't be possible due to current limitations of the COIN (Customer Oriented Information Network) database. The Commission did discuss raising the non-resident sport crabber license fee as well.

So the discussions will likely continue until the comm's get some kind of tightened controls on the rec's. It will not be very pleasant. If we let them do that to us, it will be our own fault. We need organize ourselves and start attending these meetings so we get our side of the story heard too. Right now, it's all one-sided and we are not represented at all. We need someone to keep an eye on this, let us know when these meetings will be taking place, get our concerns down in writing and distributed to those at the TFAC, let them know we are coming, that we want a chance to be heard before any new regulations are passed and we will also be bringing our own ideas to the table.

We need someone to organize us and delegate these responsibilities. When things get tougher, then we all need to "pack the house". It worked quite well with the YP issue and the rec's got their way. If we sit back and watch, we will take it in the shorts...again.

What say Ye Brothers and Sisters?

Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 03:29:18 PM »

The rec crabbing license issue was discussed. The DNR told the TFAC that while they had the authority to limit entry for that license, functionally it wouldn't be possible due to current limitations of the COIN (Customer Oriented Information Network) database. The Commission did discuss raising the non-resident sport crabber license fee as well.

This is what concerns me.  Here is a response by Mr. Gary to a member from Tidalfish.com

"Patrick,

The topic was raised by the Tidal Fish Commission as an inquiry on how to address gear conflict (commercial operations and recreational) in the wake of increasing numbers of recreational crabbers competing for space and time to crab (rec crab licenses were up sharply in 2005). This is simply a discussion. Not an indication that any action would be taken. Implementation of limited entry for recreational crabbing would require legislation. Highly unlikely to happen. As part of this discussion, the TFAC members also discussed the possibility of raising the fee for non resident rec crabbers. I hope this helps.

Marty"

So if they already have the authority to limit the number of recs then what I am understanding is that they would not need legislation.  With that being said... do they or do they not need legislation.

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 03:32:59 PM »

.....TFAC is not unlike Maryland's WAC commitee. They can recommend and aplly or often sway legislatures and the MDDNR, but something like that would have to be put forth into a bill and signed into law, I would think anyway.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 03:35:34 PM »

So if they already have the authority to limit the number of recs then what I am understanding is that they would not need legislation.  With that being said... do they or do they not need legislation.

Marty thought they did. Apparently not. Lucky for us, the current computerized licensing system could not easily handle the sales limit the comm's wanted. Otherwise, that may have passed right on thru.... Angry
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 03:38:10 PM »

...Marty shouldn't "THINK" anything, he should know!!!

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 03:40:54 PM »

Raising the fee for non-residents isn't going to do [dang] thing either.  Just as many people will come to crab, they'll just be more pissed off about the increase in fee.

If legislation exists governing commercial rules, then I would think that if rec limits and rules are put in place and enforced, they also would require legislation.

Just what we need, more legislation and a side of red tape.

Git 'r dun!

Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 03:42:49 PM »

...Marty shouldn't "THINK" anything, he should know!!!

Exactly. We need to educate ourselves in order to protect our rights...hopefully before something happens.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 03:44:18 PM »

Exactly. We need to educate ourselves in order to protect our rights...hopefully before something happens.

The idea that Chris had a while back... organizing a MD Rec Crabber association... Greg, you are now running for president!  Put it together.  The MSSA did, and they have some clout.

Git 'r dun!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 03:45:23 PM »

I hear ya.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 03:57:05 PM »

The idea that Chris had a while back... organizing ... Greg, you are now running for president!  Put it together.  The MSSA did, and they have some clout.

That's what we need...a MD Rec Crabber Association. We can make the laws go our way, instead of the other way around. We sure have the numbers to do it. I will be there for the fight. I will help in any way possible.

Thanks Jeff, I would run the whole [dang] thing if I could. What I don't have is enough spare time. And I am going to be a whole lot busier at work in another month or two. But I'm willing to give whatever I can. Once this thing gets off the ground and we get it organized and split up the duties, it will go pretty smoothly. We need some eyes, some ears and some mouths so we know what's going on before it hits us between the eyes.

Does anyone here on the rec side know that they tried to push for a 1/2 mile clearance around trotlines two years ago? Angry Angry Angry I didn't! We can't let this kind of [curd] slip under our radar!
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 04:01:44 PM »

Just in case there are doubters about the 1/2 mile trotline [curd], check it out. Sure, it was for distance between comm to comm trotline, but how hard would it have been to change "comm" to "any"? Just like the 'big' mistake with the PFD law that almost went thru... Angry

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/recreational/sfacmarch1703.html

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home