March 07, 2021, 07:16:48 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From the NJ State Police...  (Read 3994 times)
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:21:01 PM »

Significant Shoaling Within the Oyster Creek Channel

Now, we know what you're thinking: What is shoaling and why should I care?

Well, if you're not a mariner, seafarer, or sailor, you shouldn't. Shoaling is a sandy elevation under water that causes a hazard to navigation.

If you plan on navigating the waters in the Oyster Creek Channel, please be aware of the following warning:

The New Jersey State Police Marine Services Bureau, along with the United States Coast Guard, are advising mariners to transit the Oyster Creek Channel with extreme caution, due to significant shoaling.

The area of concern is located on the westerly portion between buoys 38 and 40, within Ocean Township, New Jersey.

We've included two images to help better illustrate shoaling. One of the admins suggested the, how shall we put it, more confusing photo.

‪#‎Shoaling‬
‪#‎OysterCreekChannel

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 25-26, 2021
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:31:44 AM »

That second jpg is a perfect example of how natural channeling is in tidal creeks. Every summer I have to pull people off the bars here.  Folks think the deep water is in the center but it is almost always on the outside of the curve.    Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »

The first picture is much more realistic.  In that picture, the nearby recreational boater is not only ignoring the stranded boat, but creating a substantial wake that will help secure the boat's position on the shoal.  Clearly, this event took place in NJ waters, and shows the obvious dangers of shoaling.

The second picture is baffling, obviously photoshopped.  Being from NJ, I don't see where you could never take an aerial shot of that size and not see 17 boats running like they own the water.  Undecided Undecided

Grin

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »

The first picture is much more realistic.  In that picture, the nearby recreational boater is not only ignoring the stranded boat, but creating a substantial wake that will help secure the boat's position on the shoal.  Clearly, this event took place in NJ waters, and shows the obvious dangers of shoaling.

The second picture is baffling, obviously photoshopped.  Being from NJ, I don't see where you could never take an aerial shot of that size and not see 17 boats running like they own the water.  Undecided Undecided

Grin

See you must not be an expreianced boater.  In a situation like the first one.  The other boat is helping.  You in the stranded boat neeed to be ready to gun it as soon as his wake hits your vessel. Grin

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
Barnegat Blue

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:23:07 PM »

Problem areas I remember was just east of 38..almost couldn't fit 2 boats thru at the same time.  40 was never a problem.  Well perhaps good advise would be to us the double creek until the USAC gets it dredged. Hopefully its soon. OC channel is like an airport runway on the weekends....

jason22
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 03:17:36 PM »

Dang, I was hoping that may be my first area  this year. Guess deeper water north of 40 is now the goal.  Once I get my boat back of course  Grin

"It is what it is"
CaptWilliecrab
Lifetime Member

A great way to live a day!

Williecrab S Wilson Capt Williecrab

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:08:45 PM »

Shoaling in Dividing Creek,  this turn was once navigable at fairly low tide, but this Capt was not paying attention and when he hit at full speed,  the water was only about 4 inches deep.  The greenheads were waiting and kept him company until the tide came in.  If your gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.  Does anyone recognize this spot.
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »

End of Johnsons Ditch....Do you remember the little cedar tee that would be on the point in front of the boat?

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »

Funny.. looks from the one footprint set leading from the boat it's the person who took this picture?

Having done many salvages... this boat must have been there hours...  it did not run up a clearly visiible dirt mound absent a nearly blind-as-a-bat or drunk skipper.

Around Sandy Hook Channel Buoy #11 shoaling has put the buoy ( and 40' of water) only about 100 feet from the Park's shore line.  In fact the USCG put in an 11A bouy because of that in 2013.   GPS plotter show that beach area as 4' of water at low tide.

Shoaling in Dividing Creek,  this turn was once navigable at fairly low tide, but this Capt was not paying attention and when he hit at full speed,  the water was only about 4 inches deep.  The greenheads were waiting and kept him company until the tide came in.  If your gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.  Does anyone recognize this spot.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:04:09 AM by Capt. Frank » Logged

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
CaptWilliecrab
Lifetime Member

A great way to live a day!

Williecrab S Wilson Capt Williecrab

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 08:46:09 AM »

Yup Johnsons Ditch,  one of my first trips where I took a cell phone, that was my first cell phone pic,  I was alone.   I called my daughter, she got an extra set of truck keys,  went to Turkey Point,  moved my truck and trailer to the Owls Nest,  as soon as some water came in ( about 90 minutes)  I was able to move the ship after using an oar to dig under the bow, ( tons of greenheads and the boat is very very heavy) I escaped after 2 hours or so.  If the truck had not been moved,  I would have been there another hour,  3 hours total estimate is right on.  Overall though,  it was a great day, I had fish and crabs in the holding tanks.  This was in the middle of a tremendous heat wave.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home