January 20, 2022, 05:54:39 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legal or illegal  (Read 9428 times)
Crabsoplenty

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2015, 11:56:12 AM »

Good afternoon folks

Just had a quick question for those of you who might have an answer for me

In the state of New Jersey is it legal or illegal to have a boat tied to the top of your car with ratchet straps?

Just to give you a breakdown I have a 10 foot johnboat and a 12 foot Kia Rio lately I've been strapping it to the top of my car for trout season it is recently been to the Brighton State police marine barracks for inspection to make legal I've driven by many local cops and they have not broken my balls
Now I am unsure if I am allowed on highways with the boat on top of the car I can usually do 65 to 70 miles an hour and if the boat is strapdown correctly it does not move an inch
If anyone may know the answer or where I may be able to find the information I need for this please let me know

Thanks
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »

Why not buy a little utility trailer for it?    That transport set up you have looks a little sketchy...

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 25-26, 2021
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
olclamman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »

yes there should  be no problem  with carrying on top of the car  many people haul their kayaks and canoes that way     but as ron  said  a little utility trailer  is the way to go  you could keep your stuff in it between trips    and get a cover to keep it  dry

i love swimmin with bow legged wemen !!
Crabsoplenty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:56:36 PM »

I thought of that but the problem is there's no way to put a hitch on the back of this car
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 02:45:17 PM »

We hauled a 12' StarCraft on numerous cars in Maryland when I was a kid without any problems, BUT, we had two clamp-on roof racks that gave a flat surface for the boat to sit on. I can't see how the setup you are showing can be safe or stable if the boat is sitting directly on the curve of the roof.

Crabsoplenty

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 02:54:51 PM »

I assure you it's safe been doing it for a couple years now and haven't had any issues I've gone 60 to 70+ mph but never on highways it's got two Rachect straps one going therw the back and one on the front it does not move at all

Have a very small car with no room for a hitch or I would do that
Crabsoplenty

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 02:58:05 PM »

It's not safety I'm concerned about but more legal then anything
I always make sure it is tight and will not fall off
thedancingcamel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 04:13:31 PM »

I  would stay far away from you on a highway  laugh
Crabsoplenty

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 04:37:19 PM »

Haha that's why said I'm not really too sure about the Hailes I just take a lot of local roads to get to where I'm going even if it takes longer definitely will be safer
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 04:51:03 PM »

So what prompted your question in the first place? Cops give you some grief at your inspection?

I can guarantee you this, the setup you have pictured is an accident waiting to happen. You have zero lateral retention and no retention from the rear, all riding on the curve of the roof.

You SHOULD have a flat mounting surface for the boat to sit on, two straps across the boat from side to side (NOT going through the doors Roll Eyes) and two straps on the front and two on the rear going from the center of the boat to the corners of the vehicle. That would give you complete stability from all directions. Can't help you anymore then that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:58:45 PM by Mikie » Logged

Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 05:37:55 PM »

you can put a hitch on any car..

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
Crabsoplenty

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 06:54:28 PM »

You know it's funny I've been looking into that all day about the hitch and you're right I can put a hitch on this car after doing some research might end up being what I do or get a pick up truck thanks guys for all your help
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 07:23:34 PM »

x2

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 25-26, 2021
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 04:52:41 AM »

That's only slightly better than the driver and passenger with their arms out the window holding the mattress to the roof.  You've probably had good luck with the current setup but it is pretty unstable.  But I don't think you need a trailer for that size boat, but it's a very good recommendation. 

From the aspect of the boat being cargo that must be secured to the car, I see a few problems with your current setup:  the boat is sitting right on the curved roof so there is a lack of stable support; the side to side strap runs through your open doors, then you close the doors and pinch (weaken) the strap; and it doesn't look like you have a strap from the back of the boat to the back of your car- what happens when you have to stomp on the brakes?

If either one of your 2 straps fail, that boat becomes a kite and endangers you and anyone nearby.  Car-topping a small boat is not a problem if done correctly.  Start with a sturdy set of roof racks.  Not the soft kind, ones with bars and ones that are long enough to rest the edges of the boat on plus extra to secure straps.  This is a sturdy platform for the boat.  Run a pair of straps over the boat from bar to bar.  Then run your forward strap and add an aft strap.  The golden rule of cargo securing is don't let it move in ANY direction.  The attached image shows canoes and kayaks but the theory is the same for any small boat or roof top cargo.

23' C Hawk
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 05:34:46 AM »

Legal? Probably. Safe? Doubtful. I have carried surfboards and small watercraft on the roofs of vehicles for nearly 50 years. There are probably a half dozen ways your rig could loosen without the driver being aware until the boat slid over the side (or possibly flipped back) of the roof and caused serious havoc. My first recommendation is a hard roof rack of some kind so that the boat can be supported at more (and level) points of contact. Or at least look into the foam block kits that are sold for carrying kayaks on roof tops (although it looks like you may not have sufficient width). Second recommendation is to buy 2 of the attachment point straps that fasten to bolts under the sides of the hood (search for "hood loops"). That would at least give you two points of attachment in front to guy the boat to. I currently carry my 18' and 13' Grumman canoes (not at the same time:) atop my compact SUV. I have a safari rack with foam padding on the bars, and a 2" hitch that holds a hitch extender. With the extender in vertical mode, this setup forms 3 level horizontal bars that are distributed along 12' of length. For those advocating a trailer, I would point that there are several advantages to not using one. Trailering itself comes with an entire set of safety (and maintenance) issues. Parking with a trailer is a major issue as well. Finally, there are places I put in that would be completely inaccessible with another 19 - 20' added to my vehicle length.

samiam

P.S. - I posted before I read Capt.Moose's reply. His comments are spot-on as well.

Good afternoon folks

Just had a quick question for those of you who might have an answer for me

In the state of New Jersey is it legal or illegal to have a boat tied to the top of your car with ratchet straps?

Just to give you a breakdown I have a 10 foot johnboat and a 12 foot Kia Rio lately I've been strapping it to the top of my car for trout season it is recently been to the Brighton State police marine barracks for inspection to make legal I've driven by many local cops and they have not broken my balls
Now I am unsure if I am allowed on highways with the boat on top of the car I can usually do 65 to 70 miles an hour and if the boat is strapdown correctly it does not move an inch
If anyone may know the answer or where I may be able to find the information I need for this please let me know

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:37:54 AM by samiam » Logged

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »

Yes I agree with the way you only have it tied in the middle I would think the wind could get up underneath the front and rip/flip it right off the roof of your car.  Then you would you would be charged with "not properly securing a load" 3 points in PA and MD on your license and also what ever damage it may casue to anyone behind you..... Just looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.... just my 2 cents.

MD / PA Line
Crabsoplenty

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 05:50:12 PM »

So I went with two roof racks only spent $45 on them which I do not recommend because I sat there for a few hours trying to figure out how to put them on they did not give any directions however after four hours I was able to get them on
Also put the boat on top to ratchet straps front and back and to top going through the roof rack on each side went onto 295 to test it out got up to about 80 miles an hour and the boat did not move a muscle I also drove by a New Jersey state trooper who also looked at me and looked at the boat on top of the car and did not pull me over
So all is good and I believe all is safe
Crabsoplenty

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 05:56:37 PM »

And noI got no [shiz] at the inspection from what I hear they're only Marine police they do not enforce traffic regulations however I could be wrong I was kind of just curious as to the whole thing

lostrap

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 06:38:35 AM »

Try to find or even put a hitch on a Uni-body  Answer not every car. 
fishnchip

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »

Call this place for a trailer:
http://www.marinersmarinabarnegat.com/products/products.html

This is the trailer you need:  sea lion S-14-800J

Here's your trailer hitch:
http://www.autozone.com/1/categories/kia-rio-trailer-hitches

Spend the money to transport the boat right because a boat skidding down the highway or flying off a small bridge as you cross over it will not help you catch crabs or fish.  Besides, the hitch and trailer are probably cheaper than replacing the boat and engine. 

Bill, aka Captain NoCrab
Fish-n-Chip - The Second Batch
'01 Proline 20Walk w/150 Merc.
Found around the Great Egg Bay/Longport/Patcong Creek.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home