May 19, 2022, 08:44:14 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Edgewater Florida marker 57 Stone Crabs  (Read 10694 times)
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »

I've been doing well with the Stone Crabs in my pots lately. It seems when the Blue Crab catch slows the Stone Crab catch increases.
Last week I got a claw that measured 3.75 inches! A couple days earlier I got three claws from four crabs that measured 2.75, 3.25 and 3.5 inches!

On 5-6-15 I got six more claws that measured 5", 4", 3.75", 3.5", 3.25" and 2.75 inches!

I did get a couple of Blue Crabs also that measured 6" and 7" the other day but the Blue Crab catch has been slow lately. I hear that the commercial crabbers are doing well right now.

The Stone Crab season closes on May 16 so you have to get them while you can.
When I get the claws I cook them and put them in the freezer until I get enough for a good Stone Crab meal.
I've got a gallon bag full in the freezer!

I'll post some pictures when I download them from the camera.

Retired in paradise!
Tootallwal

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »

Thanks for the update. Looks like you have enough for a meal Grin
 I will be out your way tomorrow gonna try a new spot or two in oak hill and south NSB.
 Wally
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:34:00 PM by Tootallwal » Logged

There's no such thing as too many  blue crabs and to much old bay and Yuengling !!!
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 08:30:43 PM »

SWEET, enjoy em

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 04:53:28 PM »

I've been doing well with the Stone Crabs in my pots lately. It seems when the Blue Crab catch slows the Stone Crab catch increases.
Last week I got a claw that measured 3.75 inches! A couple days earlier I got three claws from four crabs that measured 2.75, 3.25 and 3.5 inches!

On 5-6-15 I got six more claws that measured 5", 4", 3.75", 3.5", 3.25" and 2.75 inches!

I did get a couple of Blue Crabs also that measured 6" and 7" the other day but the Blue Crab catch has been slow lately. I hear that the commercial crabbers are doing well right now.

The Stone Crab season closes on May 16 so you have to get them while you can.
When I get the claws I cook them and put them in the freezer until I get enough for a good Stone Crab meal.
I've got a gallon bag full in the freezer!

Closes 05/15/2015, just a heads up.

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 08:40:24 AM »

I got two Blue Crabs yesterday 6 and 6.5 inches.
Also two Stone Crab claws 4 and 3.5 inches. A good day! I rebaited the traps the day before.

Retired in paradise!

tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 05:08:27 PM »

WTG

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 03:35:56 AM »

Hey Jim...you posted this on May 8th...best I can figure..you got a slow computer...you got a lousy camera...or maybe you are a Moron  dunce yes...since I aint seen no pictures yet,and technology being what it is...my hunch would be the Moron part  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 09:38:32 AM »

No I haven't posted any pictures yet. My cat got out of the house and when I went out to pick him up he figured he wasn't ready to leave the great outdoors yet. The little BSTRD bit my left thumb and clawed [Sam Hill] out of my right hand and arm. I've been seeing the doctor since the attack and just got back from another visit now. Another shot in the butt of rocephin but the doc says it looks like the swelling is going down and we are on the right track. He gave me another weeks prescription of amoxicillin and told me to continue the hot water soakings.
This cat did a job on me in about two seconds! I think he severed a nerve in my left thumb because all I feel to touch is pins and needles.
My right hand looks like someone blew up a surgical glove! I am supposed to be in North Carolina right now but that trip has been postponed.

I will get the pictures posted when I am able.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:40:04 AM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 08:10:54 PM »

Told you that you should have stayed in C.T. yes yes   All the cats up here are friendly laugh laugh
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 09:33:55 AM »

The swelling has finally reversed and I can use the right hand again. I went to the doc again yesterday; he gave me a shot in the butt of rocephin. He said it's like a big shot of strong pennicillin. I don't know but the hand feels much better today.

I heard it's cold and you're getting a lot of rain up there. Hope all is well with you.

Retired in paradise!

Edaoud
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »

The swelling has finally reversed and I can use the right hand again. I went to the doc again yesterday; he gave me a shot in the butt of rocephin. He said it's like a big shot of strong pennicillin. I don't know but the hand feels much better today.

I heard it's cold and you're getting a lot of rain up there. Hope all is well with you.
Hope you feel much better soon and catch more crabs and don't forget the photos  Smiley
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »

Here are a few shots of the shrimp and crabs down here.

I went out shrimping on 3-13-15 and got 2.25 gallons.  The first shot is a shot of the pail. This was my best shrimp adventure this season. I have been out other times but did not do too well!  On 12-28-14 I got 14, on 3-17-15 I got 3/4 of a gallon and on 3-30-15 I got 41 shrimp! You don't always get full buckets down here and it seems the wind is always blowing 20 knots. The waterway is called Mosquito Lagoon for a reason! Bring the bug spray!
The next shot is showing the size difference in the shrimp coming down the river. As shown they vary in size from 8" large to 4" dinks. After separating out the smalls they are frozen whole as bait. The rest of the shrimp are deheading and put in Tupperware containers and frozen for later. This trip got me about eight one pound Tupperware containers and about 10 bags of 25 count bait shrimp.
The last shot was Stone Crab claws gotten out of the two traps under my boat on 5-6-15. These claws measured 5, 4, 3.25, 3.5,  3 and 2.75 inches. The big ones are good sized claws! It is legal to take both claws off a Stone Crab but I take the biggest claw and then let the crab go so he can defend himself.

I Have saved most of these claws in the freezer, after steaming, in a gallon zip lock bag. I am planning on a crab cook out one of these days and want to take a picture of all the claws in one pot but haven't taken the picture yet. That is what I've been waiting on.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:57:41 AM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 11:26:29 AM »

Nice pics of both the shrimp and claws. I love stone crab claws and get them a couple times a year. Even though you cook them and freeze them, I can only imagine how great they taste right from the water to the steamer and eating them right away while hot out of the steamer.
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »

Here are the promised Stone Crab pictures. Sorry it took so long to post them Rick. These are Stone Crab claws that took a year to catch! The season is October 15 to May 15.  We don't get that many down here; just an occasional Stoner walking through. I bring hem home, cook them up and put them in freezer bags to store until I have enough for a good meal. When I eat them I just thaw them out, crack them and dip in melted butter.
Ummmm good! With this meal I added some Blue Crabs too.
I had too many mixed crabs and it took me about three meals to eat it all!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:19:14 AM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!
Seanile
In Memoriam 06/2021
Lifetime Member

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 09:42:53 AM »

Good job on the stoners, Jim.

Been there, done that with cat scratch fever - a couple years ago. My Jack Russell went for the cat, the cat bit me on the hand - chain reaction.

It all healed, but I still occasionally have the desire to lick my fingers or use a scratching post. Meeeeeoooow.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:48:19 PM by Seanile » Logged

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 10:33:38 AM »

Looking good Jim.  Sounds like retirement is doing you well.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 05:57:53 AM »

Thanks for the pics Jim  Grin..looks great Bro  Kiss Cheesy

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
riverpop
Banned

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 09:40:08 PM »

I can't believe the time lapses on the post, but he is not a liar, he promised pics- and delivered.....   I wish you guys would post more- our seasons do end, we can use some reports and pics late fall...

Thanks,
Gary

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home