August 15, 2018, 12:46:11 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stone Crab: looking for some experienced advice.  (Read 3983 times)
Fishabox

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2015, 09:37:51 AM »

I started targeting stone crab last year after our prices dropped out on blue crab here in NC. I did some studies on them in South Florida in an effort to relate some of the information to my own area. I've got to say, I have really had to translate most of it to my own location, because they act quite differently here from what I have learned so far. In addition to whatever knowledge you other stone crabbers out there want to share, ( I would love to here it all) I have some questions: Do you always catch them off of the beach or in sounds and bays as well? When you are looking for an area to target them? What are some key topographic features you are trying to find? Example: grass, structure, coral, oysters, sandy bottom. Also, what are some key depths that you target them in? Do you fish a drop, like a ledge on a channel or flat bottom? Is there a optimum bait? I have done well with oily fish, but I have not found them to be entirely to picky. What is the best soak time on the pots? I have found that the longer you wait the better it gets, though I have learned to start with short soaks with new locations as the crab density is high and my pots fill up quickly; after the first couple of pulls in an area I let them soak longer until I start catching repeats. How long do you soak before moving to a new area? Sorry for all the questions, but I have really enjoyed targeting these awesome creatures. I've done modestly well and I want to see it grow. Thanks
Aixsponsa

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »

A lot of good questions, but it appears that the stone crabbers are stonewalling.

I'm looking forward to catching and eating a few stone crab claws myself

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home