August 20, 2018, 12:56:39 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Saved From Development" Signs  (Read 2808 times)
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2015, 10:16:39 AM »

The town next to me some time ago bought "120 Acres Saved From Development" and put up one of those obnoxious signs with the names and positions of all the council members to help block the view of the undeveloped space.  I've always considered it ridiculous that towns put up a billboard that advertises what would otherwise be undeveloped space.  And I've always wondered if the right lawyer could "unsave" the property from development.

Well, three weeks ago, the sign that I've passed by every day for years came down, and surveyors were parking nearby and cutting trails in the brush.  That 120 acres is now completely cleared out, and staked out for another couple hundred homes and a strip mall.

Does anyone know anything about the way these purchases are made?  I do know that the township actually purchased the land, so they used taxpayer money in one form or another, whether it was from a federal or state program, or from property taxes.  I can't believe that there aren't some type of legal restrictions when that money was allocated to the township for this purpose.

Bottom line is, next time you see one of those signs, remember that the land is only temporarily saved from development. 

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 06:16:50 PM »

You sure the town bought the land?  From what I've been told, open space preservation typically takes the form of an agreement by the current owner not to develop the land.  In return, the owner receives some sort of tax break.

23' C Hawk

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home