November 14, 2019, 01:27:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They're jumping into the Boat - Bush River  (Read 7006 times)
cblu
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2003, 12:22:17 PM »

Man o Man, what a day! Grin Grin Grin    I went out this morning by myself and put out 44 traps (I have an LLC license, so technically I'm commercial, and can use more tahn 30) @ about 6:00a.m.  My first run was pretty good probably 8 crabs. By 7:15 I had 1/2 bushel, but wasn't feeling real good because my buddy had a bushel the day before at aroung 8:00. Then all [Sam Hill] broke loose. Next run 23 keepers, next run 29 keepers, next run 21 keepers, next run 19 keepers. Yes, I had a bushel by 8:00 and a whole lot more. And these weren't small crabs, these where nice 6+ all the way up to 8 1/2 inches Grin Grin Grin. Well, it got to a point, if I didn't have a crab in the trap it was because there was no bait. I was hitting 10-15 crabs in a row!!! I got to where I was just tossing the 5 1/2 inch ones without even getting them in the boat. I had 4 traps that I pulled up with 2 crabs inside! Shocked Shocked Shocked I also pulled up 2 more that had a crab inside & one hanging on the outside. I haven't seen crabbing like this in years, I ended up with more than 2 bushels. I probably threw back more than 1/2 bushel back that were keepers. Only saw about 6 females all day, two monsters, they all went back. I gotta post pictures. This was really fun.

Go Get'em.

Crabbin Pappy

Crabbin' Pappy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 08:20:17 PM »

Good for You,
   Glad you had a good day. I had to work.Isn't the bush river  in the upper part of the bay? If so thats good I am from Pa. Where do ypu put your boat in at?I would like to get out some day I can get off work.
Thanks
Crabbin Pappy
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 09:59:43 PM »

SOUNDS LIKE REAL WORK
AND A [Sam Hill] OF A LOT OF FUN
HOPE THEY WERE ALL FULL OF MEAT

NICE CATCH Shocked

CRABGUY
cblu
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 08:27:40 AM »

Crabbin Pappy, From PA, take 95 south to Rte 543 (I think it's Churchville/Riverside) anyway it's the exit after Rte 22 (Aberdeen) for reference. There's only one exit , so take a left at the light onto 543. About 1/4 mile take a right on Rte 7 (Philadelphia Rd), there a Cracker Barrel rest., on corner. Proceed 2 miles to intersection of Abingdon Rd (first light) and turn Left. Go 1 1/2 miles to intersection at Rte 40 (light), proceed through light, Abingdon Road changes name to Otter Point road. Follow road to end and there is a free launch ramp. The only problem is very limited parking. There's also a launch ramp down Rte 40 (right where you proceded straihgt ahead above) at Mariner's park, about 5 miles down the road with lots of parking and you're in the general vicinity but not the Bush. Go get'em. Wink
cblu
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 08:31:29 AM »

Crabguy, We only went through the first bushel & a 1/2  last night and they were all nice and heavy. The second bushel is going to be the light one, that we'll pick that  today for soup and cakes. I did have 10 die from puncture wounds or I guess just being a little too weak from the slough. They seemed to be papershells. The best crabs of the season Wink Go get'em.

Crabbeer

Kwicherbichen and have fun, go crabbin!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 08:24:27 PM »

Thanks for your Bush report.  Thats probably the best I've heard all year.

I have heard that the Bush River is only navigable on weekends due to Aberdeen.  Is this true?  Are there any restrictions for crabbing the bush?

Support our troops, make their home worthy of them.
cblu
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 11:01:30 AM »

Crabbeer, The River is open during the week except when they are testing (i.e. firing ordnance). There's a phone number to call on Post, but unfortunately I don't have it with me , that you can call and they'll tell you if the River will be open or not. As far as restictions, there are some restricted areas where you can't fish or crab. Also, if you have a TFL (commercial) and want to use commercial gear (ie more than 30 traps, more than 1200 ft of line) you need to get a license from APG, which is $51.
Crabbeer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2003, 06:48:46 PM »

Thanks for the info cblu.  I will have to give the Bush a try, maybe this Friday.  I work with a guy who caught a 10" crab from the Bush several years ago.  I would have that one hanging on the wall!!

I have been crabbing the Bohemia with decent success but I do like a bit of variety so maybe I'll head south a bit.

Pennsycrabcrazy

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2003, 07:26:20 PM »

I've never been to the bush before.  i usally go to the chester river and don't usally see more than a half this year.  i was wandering if it is better towards the bay or in further?  thanks for the great info.
cblu
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 11:24:35 AM »

Crabbeer, No 10 inchers this year, so far. I did pick up a few 8's and a 8 1/2 last weekend. A couple of years ago, the crabs out there were huge. You wouldn't catch a lot, but they were ALL in the 7 1/2+ range. It really reminded me of the Wye. This year has been more a normal size. Hopefully, you can make it out, don't know how much longer they'll be around.

cblu
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2003, 11:32:08 AM »

Pennsy', I've been heading out more than halfway in the river. That seems to be where we've done the best.
Still, it's hit or miss. My neighbor only got 3 doz, the day I brought home the 2 bu. I don't want all you guys to be trailering down here and getting mad at me, if you're not lucky. And as much as I like to think, I can find 'em, I was lucky. I am planning on going out tomorrow (wed.), hopefully the river will be open, and I can get to my spot. I'll let you know the results. Go get 'em. Wink
pennsycrabcrazy

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2003, 07:46:25 PM »

thanks cblu, i'm going to give it a shot on thrus
thanks
Howard

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2003, 12:36:13 AM »

CBLU:
Remarkable report about the Bush River.  I posted a similar unbelievable day at the Wye about three years ago, so I can appreciate your excitement and total fun!.  The right place at the right time is what life is all about and man you got it!

If you had a trot-line you would have been a dipping fool.  Makes you wonder about one of my theories that crabs perhaps congregate (?) and run in schools like fish at times...hmmm...

Great report.  Nice job and I might try this Bush River here soon...I am in search of the biggies and after finally netting my first and only 9" two summers ago at the Wye, when I saw this entry about a 10" crab, my mouth dropped.... Grin

Take care,

R/Howard
cblu
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2003, 07:13:11 AM »

Howard, Good luck going for the 10 incher. It's out there somewhere.
     Okay, I went out yesterday again, and since it was a Wednesday and no recreational crabbers were out I had the entire river to myself. And I do mean myself, I saw 2 other boats the entire 5 hours. Well, since nobody else was there, I figuresdI might as well catch enough for everybody. Grin Grin Grin And I did! Shocked Shocked Shocked They weren't jumping in the boat, but they were stepping lively. I moved  from where I was on Saturday as they didn't seem to be as concentrated there, but I was able to find them. They do seem to move in groups. I ended up with over 2 bushels again. I filled a 94 qt cooler with real nice crabs, these were all the way to 8 1/4, and all over 6 1/2 inches and another bushel of picking crabs. . I pulled 3 traps with two crabs in them, not including 2 doublers and I got my first triple! Although only one was a keeper. They're stiill out there, go get'em.
Crabbeer

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2003, 05:57:48 PM »

Went to the Bush for the first time today.  Got a bushel in five hours.  Not many until the tide started going out.  Had a good day overall!

cblu
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2003, 08:31:58 AM »

Crabbeer, Glad you made it out. And you made it out just in time. We had rain here yesterday, alot of rain, that really messed up the water. There is all kinds of trash, trees, & grass in the water now. My buddy went out last evening and only got about 1/2 dozen crabs in  1 1/2 hours. He said there was so much grass, that he had trouble pulling up the traps. I guess the grass is a good sign, as long as the roots stayed wherever they were. I definitely won't be going out before sunrise due to all the debris. And now we have the hurricane to look forward to. Hopefully, it won't track up the Bay. That would be all the crabs need. Go get'em.
Melvin Hatcher

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2003, 10:00:04 AM »

How and where does one obtain the LLC license ... and how does one qualify for the license  Huh
Not that I am a commerical crabber, but I would like the advantage of crabbing the Bush on Wed. Since I live only a couple miles from flying point mariner.  Grin

Thanks

Melvin
cblu
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2003, 04:23:04 PM »

Melvin, Actually it's a LCC (Limited Crab Catcher) license (typo). I believe the only way you can get one now is to get on the waiting list and wait until someone give one up. There a limited number available and they're all being used, there's over 3900 outstanding. Now, I think you have to go thru an apprentice program after you wait on the list, but I'm not sure if that's for all license types. You can find more info here:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/commercial/Ltdentry.html

Howard

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2003, 12:11:10 PM »

Woa:

Sounds like you guys are still slamm'em on the Bush. Grin

Did you say you have to call the Aberdeen Proving Grounds first before venturing out on the BushRiver?  Something about possible testing?  I'll go back and look at the directions also, because it looks like it is only about a 45-60 minute trip from where I live in northern DE.

This storm will raise some havoc, but I am looking to get back out and get some of these bad boys before they start to dig in for the winter.

Are you getting a lot of females???

Take care,

Howard

Crabbeer

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2003, 10:23:18 AM »

When I was at the Bush I only got maybe three or four females which were thrown back.  I got two doublers.  The rest were all decent sized males.  

There are numerous places to launch at the Bush.  I found one that has free launch and free parking.  Relatively unheard of these days.  Location wise, from what I hear, the crabs are caught on the bay side of the railroad bridge.  

It may be that certain locations on the river are closed off by Aberdeen.  The area is pretty big so I can't imagine they would close it all off.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home