November 14, 2019, 01:28:18 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choose traps or trotline  (Read 2797 times)
GoneToCarolina

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:29:20 AM »

Probably already hit in this somewhere in here, but I was told by a DNR rep that you are now ONLY allowed trot line OR traps. Even if you only brought 600' of line, still can't use any traps. Normally not an issue for me, but I have a couple friends I take out that aren't great with the trot line, so I would bring traps and only 600'. That way they have fun, we catch crabs, and I'll dip the 600' line. I know some people that brought 1200' and 30 traps all the time.  I never took it that you had to choose. And the way I read it this year it still doesn't say either or. I'm thinking she didn't know what she was talking about. Anyone got some input?  Am I way off?

"There's no normal life, there's just life"
Dirichlet

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:39:28 AM »

Probably already hit in this somewhere in here, but I was told by a DNR rep that you are now ONLY allowed trot line OR traps.

False.
http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/fishing/blue-crabs-chesapeake-bay-its-tidal-tributaries/
1200' trot and 30 traps.  Tell the DNR "rep" to please read the regulations.
GoneToCarolina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »

Yup, that's what I saw. Doesn't say to choose. I take it you are allowed everything on the chart in the license category. She said it was on page 38 of the book, which I don't have so I can't reference it.  I was calling about a different question and she just randomly threw that factoid out there.

Dirichlet

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:23:49 AM »

Yup, that's what I saw. Doesn't say to choose. I take it you are allowed everything on the chart in the license category. She said it was on page 38 of the book, which I don't have so I can't reference it.  I was calling about a different question and she just randomly threw that factoid out there.

It always helps to have regulations with you.  Basically, she was completely full of s**t.
http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/fishing/pageflip/
Page 38 has to do with invasive species, discussing crayfish, snakeheads, and blue & flathead catfish.
GoneToCarolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 10:27:43 AM »

Awesome!  I will have it. Just got license online should be coming with a book any day now. I wouldn't have even inquired. She just offered that nugget up. Typical.

GoneToCarolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »

Hmm. So my original question to her was if I bought a bay sport boat license and a crabbing boat license, wouldn't that count as 2 license.  I haven't bought bay sport for years, but have a bigger boat and gonna do some fishing throughout the bay this year. I swear it used to cover 2 people on the boat to crab. But now it just covers the owner. So if I buy both license, that's $65.  Giving MD a lot of doe, but still only allowed a bushel unless whoever I bring buys yet another license. Make no sense that the additional $5 license allows you to keep another bushel. Although realistically anymore, not really a luxury I have needed lately.

thedutchtouch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 11:09:12 AM »

The only thing buying both boat licenses would do would be to allow someone else to crab from your boat when you are not present. Sport fishing boat allows fishing for all and gives you a rec crab license, which you can use on/off boat.  Crab boat license allows for one license worth of crabbing from the boat.  If you're on the boat, you're double covered for crabs, but others can't use either license as it's in your name and the crab boat license specifically says it can only cover someone else if you are not on board.

-Justin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 12:51:52 AM »

Yea I had the same question. I'm now a md resident but back in the day I had a ranger tell me there was a reciprocality issue with my fishing liscence. They had to call head quarters same warden measured a dozen 6+ inch crabs. Just so he could play with them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home