July 20, 2019, 01:08:23 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PAX 7-3-15--- NO GOOD SAMARITANs  (Read 5750 times)
JIMMY DIPPER

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »

Ill try and make it short--up at 230AM with my 7yr old son and 8 year old daughter (first trip this year and second ever for them), 2 lines, 1600 ft all in a 16ft Carolina Skiff. Put in at 415AM and to the spot and set both lines by 530AM. First run had engine troubles, wasnt going to work. Paddled to the next float and started to pick up by hand. Crabber came by and said " looks like your done can I lay next to you on both sides" I said sure. he said once I get my lines out Ill come tow you to the ramp which is 2.5- mi away. i said great. He laid his lines and I never saw him again. I kept going with the paddle, (now broke in half) and passed 6 other boats, finally came right next to a waterman who said after his next run he would come tow me. He came back and I got it started and off I went but 1 mile later it gave out again..smoke, heated over etc etc, prob water pump.  I was now maybe 1.5 miles away from the ramp with crabbers all around several staring and passing by. Even once I worked on the motor while my 7 yr old paddled, think this would get someone to tow me, Nope!. About 700 yards now from the ramp I pass with in 20 feet , and in fact had to paddle around 2 anchored fisherman, Hi I said , Your almost there he said-. Me and my kids starting then singing , laughing for I just could not believe what has happened esp with two little kids in a broke down boat. I made it in and right behind was the 2 fisherman I passed 40 mins ago. I prob paddled 1.5 mi. I was a little lucky and had the slight breeze at my back and the tide helping too. Anyway I just finished un baiting the lines and figured I would post which i usally do not. I still cant believe the lack of help.
crabster2

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:26:57 PM »

where was your port of call?
JIMMY DIPPER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:59:46 PM »

Patuxent. Benedict
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 06:15:55 PM »

Jimmy dipper,
Sorry about your day. Not all crabbers and fishermen are like that. Believe me, they'll get theirs!

Anyway, get yourself tow insurance from boatus or seatow. Well worth it.

I'm sorry your kids had to endure that.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »

Stand up, wave your arms and yell! Maybe they didn't really know you needed or wanted help. Some people don't stick their noses into your business if it doesn't look like you need them.

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 06:43:46 PM »

Mikie maybe so but if you or I saw a person paddling I would think they need help.

Jimmy Dipper,  did you look on our emergency phone list to see if any one of the BCA members were in your area?

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
GoneToCarolina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »

hey i never knew there was an emergency phone list.  In fact, i have seatow's number in my phone just in case, but have never had to use it.  I don't have a radio, just cel. what if we don't have service?  just stuff thought about that we never needed.  WOW!  I cannot believe the lack of compassion.  What have we come to as a people.  Maybe they thought you were a terrorist!  Do you grow your beard real long?  Was it so hot you had your t-shirts tied on top of your heads?  sorry....not funny, i know. 

"There's no normal life, there's just life"
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 07:26:36 PM »

I'm shocked with commercial numbers on the side let alone 2 small kids on board and not one commercial waterman would step up.  That suxs.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
crabster2

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 07:32:37 PM »

i'm comm and give my cell # to folks  i sorta see often for situations like this. sorry for your experience. 
GoneToCarolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »

That is good of you fells that are out there all the time sharing the water with us part timers.  at least a few good souls left on this earth.  kids prob had no idea how frustrated their pops was. 

"There's no normal life, there's just life"

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »

There a lot of good people out there, you were just ther on a bad day , when tohos people weren't so nice

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »

Mikie maybe so but if you or I saw a person paddling I would think they need help.

Jimmy Dipper,  did you look on our emergency phone list to see if any one of the BCA members were in your area?

Ronnie

I see people paddling all of the time - they're in kayaks and rowboats. If the guy was paddling and not acting like there was a problem, I wouldn't assume there was a problem. Then we have the fact that he got his motor running and went about 1 1/2 miles before he conked out again. He's around a whole new bunch of people who have no idea whether he's broke down or just stopped. That's why I said stand up, yell, wave a life jacket or something to get attention. Don't just think that everybody's going to run over and ask you what's going on.
mikehn

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 06:18:23 AM »

A tow boat US membership isnt very expensive, then you wont have to make these type of posts and blame it on someone else.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 08:23:59 AM »

Stand up, wave your arms and yell! Maybe they didn't really know you needed or wanted help. Some people don't stick their noses into your business if it doesn't look like you need them.

This is true, I was flounder fishing down ocean city, a group of people in a runabout ran aground about 300yds from me. I watched them all evening thinking nothing of it, it wasn't until they lit a flare that I went over and offered assistance. I never would of gave em a second look had he not lit that flare.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
miracleson82

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 02:34:14 PM »

isn't it a regulation to have a whistle/air horn on your boat for emergencies?
I would have been blowing on it with 2 kids in the boat.

lucyogden

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 03:57:01 PM »

There is just NO excuse why fellow fishermen / crabbers are  selfish and would not reach out to a person in distress on the water.  I  was taught to help -- aide  -- and assist , someone in that condition.  What you should do -- if possible, post their  boat reg. no.-- so every one can see -- just  who  those people are.  Maybe  --  someday  they may  be  in  trouble--  on  the  water.  take  care  my  friend ,  better luck  next time    Walter  Spence  Newark  De.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 05:39:47 PM »

There is just NO excuse why fellow fishermen / crabbers are  selfish and would not reach out to a person in distress on the water.  I  was taught to help -- aide  -- and assist , someone in that condition.  What you should do -- if possible, post their  boat reg. no.-- so every one can see -- just  who  those people are.  Maybe  --  someday  they may  be  in  trouble--  on  the  water.  take  care  my  friend ,  better luck  next time    Walter  Spence  Newark  De.

Go back and CAREFULLY read the OP's original post. At NO time does he state that he was trying to get anyone's attention to tow him in. He even stated that he said "Hi" to a couple of people he paddled past. He also said he was working on the motor when he went past a couple of guys while his kid was paddling. He also said he got the motor running and went a mile or so before it conked out again. HOW is anyone supposed to know he needs help. I personally don't believe the guy made much of an attempt to get assistance. NOBODY is going to leave a couple of little kids in a 16' boat stranded and in danger. You need assistance, YOU better be the one making a fuss to attract attention. Anybody else who reads the post carefully and has a different opinion, I'm listening. I've towed people in AND been towed in myself, there was no doubt in any of those cases that the people needing assistance weren't making it known.
lucyogden

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 06:07:25 PM »

I  did read the post over , before posting the first time.  Any person of sound mind-- would have to know something was not right-- when a young person was using a paddle --  when an adult was working on the engine.  Come  on Pal -- just what are you thinking?   Are you feeling guilty -- You weren't one of those --   (redacted by moderator).  Seems like some people like to flap their lips -- instead of doing the right thing.  Think about it   What  goes around --  comes around
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:00:15 AM by Ron, Reason: Removed inappropriate language. » Logged
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 06:46:05 PM »

It really doesn't matter, let's just all help,each other out, out there.

in·teg·ri·ty   
clark bar

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 09:59:17 PM »

There was a time not so long ago when most crabbers didn't have anything more than oars and sails, and anyone who was struggling was immediately offered assistance by any one in else sight. There were less people on the water, yet those who were in the area would help without question or expectation. Many of us were raised in this tradition, and do our best to continue to carry it on. I am sorry you did not get the help you needed.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home