October 30, 2020, 09:29:20 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carvel Hall ???  (Read 10424 times)
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2006, 06:25:23 PM »

My wife just showed me a Smyth Jewelers catalog, she was looking at some of the crab related items they have.  They show a set of 4 Embossed knives, they have Carvel Hall etched on them, with a crab on either side of the name.  They are selling the sets for $36.95.  They are made of stainless steel.  I thought Carvel hall was out of business?
CrabstaDude
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 06:41:19 PM »

My wife just showed me a Smyth Jewelers catalog, she was looking at some of the crab related items they have.  They show a set of 4 Embossed knives, they have Carvel Hall etched on them, with a crab on either side of the name.  They are selling the sets for $36.95.  They are made of stainless steel.  I thought Carvel hall was out of business?

polished steel? they have a website?
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 06:42:58 PM »

www.albertsmyth.com
CrabstaDude
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 06:43:55 PM »

found it..

http://www.albertsmyth.com/cgi-bin/SmythJewels.storefront/4429bdaa02fb6958273f0cacf81706b2/Product/View/3720?SH=hdr_20SearchResults.gif

those aren't the tru pros which i understand are the more desireable
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 07:10:16 PM »

Here's what I know about Carvel Hall.

Carvel Hall was originally owned and operated by its parent company, Chas. D. Briddell, Inc.

In 1961, Carvel Hall was sold to Towle Manufacturing Co.

Towle Manufacturing is now owned by Syratech.

The Carvel Hall plant closed in 2000. The Carvel Hall factory outlet store closed in 2003.

Today, Syratech carries on the Towle brand. See their website at http://www.syratech.com.

Syratech still manufactures those similar knives under the Towle name (or some other name) since it owns the molds for those knives. I believe that the "Carvel Hall" logo has been removed but it still says "Crab Knife" on it. Look on the blade of this knife:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 07:22:28 PM by Steve » Logged

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:04:26 PM »

The "real" crab knives are one piece stainless steel to minimize bacterial contamination. Supposedly mandated by the State but I am not sure of this. These look alike multi piece knives are for the tourists! Undecided

Retired in paradise!
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 08:09:05 PM »

Thanks all!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 08:22:32 PM »

I didn't know there were that many different crab knives around! Be interesting to collect them all!
While antiqueing north of Crisfield there was a home made crab knife they wanted $30.00 for. It was made out of two inch square stock with a handle about 7 inches long. The stock was hammered down to a blade about the size of the two piece Carvel Hall knife. It was not stainless. The handle weighed about two pounds!
Would make one He!! of a weapon! laugh Looked like a prison shank. Shocked

Retired in paradise!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:36:31 PM »

Pot, here are my R Murphy  knives, not as good as my tru pro but they are solid ss and good picking knives. Wink

www.rmurphyknives.com

John

I have 8 of the R Murphy style knives but they have Carvel Hall stamped on them...paid $2.50 ea in a closeout.  They are one piece and do work well.  I have used them for about 3 years until I finally got the tru-pro's this winter.  I used the tru-pro at the party this past weekend and they worked great.  Can't wait until the crabs start running.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 10:30:09 PM »

Here's my collection (top to bottom):

Carvel Hall crab knife
Carvel Hall Tru-Pro crab knife
Tool Master crab knife
Un-polished no-name crab knife (supposedly made from Carvel Hall blanks)
Casson's crab knife
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 10:32:57 PM by Steve » Logged

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 10:59:14 PM »

Here's my collection (top to bottom):

Carvel Hall crab knife
Carvel Hall Tru-Pro crab knife
Tool Master crab knife
Un-polished no-name crab knife (supposedly made from Carvel Hall blanks)
Casson's crab knife

Steve

Your favorite one is?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 11:03:15 PM »

The Carvel Hall Tru-Pro.  Wink Cool
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 11:10:15 PM »

Nice collection! Wink

Retired in paradise!
Dances With Crabs

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 11:16:48 PM »

Don't we just love those Tru-Pros! I was lucky enough to pick up a bunch over the years when the Carvel Hall factory was still open.
For those who can't find one or don't want to spring for one on ebay, my next choice would be the Tool Master version, available in Crisfield and elsewhere in the region. Its very close to the Tru-Pro and works just fine.
Hey, don't want you to think I'm too hung up on tools. I've been known to pick crabs with my car key....while holding a beer....at night, with a flashlight tucked under my arm....standing in the pouring rain....no problem.
I'm sure many of you could do the same.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 11:17:39 PM »

The Carvel Hall Tru-Pro.  Wink Cool

We used our tru-pros for the first time at the party.  They worked well but this summer will tell the truth.  We have used them with snow crabs all winter but the true test will be with a summers worth of blues.  Up until recently, we used a different style of one piece knife from carvel hall which worked well for us.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 12:44:39 AM »

Nice set of knifes Steve.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 08:07:43 AM »

I collect these at a local store for 50 cents a piece. Someday they will be worth a fortune.
Stevo
Lifetime Member

It's all fun and games 'til someone gets steamed!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 08:28:33 AM »

I collect these at a local store for 50 cents a piece. Someday they will be worth a fortune.

Greg,
I've found these for $.07 each sold in larger quantities. You have to be very careful that the do not scratch one another because they do not package them as well as Carvel Hall did! Grin Grin Grin Grin laugh laugh laugh

This website is member-supported. Please help by becoming a Supporting Member today!
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 08:36:55 AM »

Hey ST, you makin fun of me? How would you like a one fingered salute? Angry Grin

Stevo, speaking of scratching, I use them to scratch my armpits. That a way I don't get Old Bay tangled in my armpit hair.
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 09:01:53 AM »

this just proves my theory...that you're an idiot  dunce dunce dunce dunce by the way..they're selling a parcel of swamp land on the delaware river..you interested?  Huh Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home