November 14, 2018, 09:32:58 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peeler question  (Read 3079 times)
im2fast4you33

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2015, 03:33:59 PM »

When peelers are caught while trotlining, can they just be thrown with the others, or do they have to be seperate.  And how good is dnr with identifying them.  Can they only be caught for shedding purposes or can they be sold when thrown in with the others.  Comar doesn't seem very specific other than the measurement
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:17:41 AM »

They need to be separated because first off, most (99.999%) are sally's and would be undersized.  I can't say if the DNR can tell the ripeness of them as I have never had one ask to check them.  Usually they ask me if I have any and ask to see them but never check them closely.  Shedding or bait.  Again, if they are thrown in with the other females they are illegal.  Sooks (mature females) are legal at any size.  Peelers are not mature.  Also, if your license does not allow femal catch, all females are off limits.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 10:25:56 AM »

Just want to add to crabbyd, ripe peelers don't eat so it's unlikely you'll catch a ripe male on the line feeding and if you catch a female, she's gonna be under a jimmy.

A green peeler will feed, and they're tough to see if you don't know what your looking for.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 10:27:38 AM »

Just want to add to crabbyd, ripe peelers don't eat so it's unlikely you'll catch a ripe male on the line feeding and if you catch a female, she's gonna be under a jimmy.

A green peeler will feed, and they're tough to see if you don't know what your looking for.

correct.  also a green peeler that is eating is highly unlikely to shed in captivity before they die.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 10:29:25 AM »

I can't speak for all NRP officers, but I'll take the under in regards to how well they can identity a peeler.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

im2fast4you33

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:12:06 AM »

Great thanks for the replies guys, great info
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 04:16:43 AM »

correct.  also a green peeler that is eating is highly unlikely to shed in captivity before they die.

I always thought that to but my results were outstanding. A few years ago Mr Ray gave me a dozen peelers he caught off his dipper. I thought at that time any peeler would not eat. I learned something that day as I checked them after he gave them to me and they were sure peelers. All but 1 or 2 shed in my system. I still to this day forget to check for the males because as soon as I see a crab that small they get sent back. Most of them took a week to 2 weeks to shed but i had good luck with them. Needless to say i still keep any stage of the peeler and take my chances. As long as the water is right I dont have many problems keeping them alive.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home