August 17, 2018, 03:27:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab Pot Thieves  (Read 3931 times)
Finnegan

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:46:48 PM »

Just wondering what people's experiences have been with having gear stolen? I am thinking about getting a pot and leaving it in the Manasquan inlet (off the dog beach) for about 48 hours.  I understand I need a license but since this is a pretty heavily traveled area I am wondering what the likelihood is that someone will steal the pot.  I don't care if someone takes the crabs but that the pots are expensive.  What are your thoughts on this?
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:48:37 PM »

There is always one out there that would do that , hope it doesn't happen to you , good luxck

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Zee Man

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 06:09:53 PM »

If it's in a highly populated area at the dog beach that could be a good thing. Unfortunately, there are A LOT of crab pot thieves out there. I only drop my newer pots on days I crab and am picking them back up the same day. I bought a bunch of used traps from a commercial guy and I always leave 2 of those out for my 2-3 day soaks. If one of those gets swiped it won't sting as much.

Good Luck

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
lostrap

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 07:32:25 AM »

Just my 2 cents that area is to public, directly in front of dog beach, any distance out boats drift for Fluke, I have fished off that beach and never encountered any Crabs, Fast currents from tides, Go up river or in Glimmer Glass area,  Plus if the sea weed is bad it would bury your trap there,
johnnyjet

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 07:37:28 AM »

Lostrap is right... That area is dead... Upriver is the way to go either Treasure Island ( inside pass ) or up past the 70 bridge... John

Finnegan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 07:57:01 PM »

Thanks guys.
mattio41

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 03:47:22 PM »

I have been debating about buying a few pots to leave out. But you are right, they are expensive, and I would be really pissed if 1 was stolen. I would feel safe enough to leave them out on a overnight soak and pick it up first thing in the morning. But anything longer, where it is not attended, I just wouldn't feel very comfortable.

As far as leaving them out by boat. I would feel more comfortable that fellow boaters and fisherman would have more respect. Not a fail safe, but I would feel safer.
lostrap

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 04:28:43 PM »

I have been debating about buying a few pots to leave out. But you are right, they are expensive, and I would be really pissed if 1 was stolen. I would feel safe enough to leave them out on a overnight soak and pick it up first thing in the morning. But anything longer, where it is not attended, I just wouldn't feel very comfortable.

As far as leaving them out by boat. I would feel more comfortable that fellow boaters and fisherman would have more respect. Not a fail safe, but I would feel safer.

Trust No One  Angry 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 04:31:19 PM by lostrap » Logged
johnnyjet

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 05:38:33 PM »

Put them out late and pull them early... Make sure you get all of the high tide... John
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »

hide them out of site, and bring them in on weekends.. The only one I had stolen this year was on a weekend..

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]

Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 04:20:34 PM »

I've had three stolen. Two in the Sink and one in Chesequake.  ALL were during the week.   Try to use the absolute smallest floats possible.  Won't attract these low lifes.

hide them out of site, and bring them in on weekends.. The only one I had stolen this year was on a weekend..

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home