November 18, 2019, 08:23:51 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wye River Report July 30th  (Read 1449 times)
Howard

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »

Took a buddy of mine from work (NJ) on this trip and he got to experience just about everything (good and bad) when you are running a trot line.  We got there around 6. Water was choppy and overcast. After we got the boat in the water, we look over and I see this guy with his thumb in the drain hole of his boat (boat was like haflway in the water) and we felt bad for him as he had his 2 boys in the boat and ready to get some crabs.  However, he said he forgot the plug (oops). So I check my spare parts and darn if I did not have a spare, but it didn't fit his boat.  Bummer! Said his friend or brother, not sure was on this way with the plug. I have never seen that situation before. Oh well.
Went out right around the corner and laid (2) 500 lines and had (4) collapsible traps. This was my buddy's 1st trip to crab in MD and wanted to see these big Wye crabs.   First run we nailed three nice ones and he was impressed and these guys were just under 8".
 But wind picked up and things slowed down. One here, missed a couple caught some small guys who went back, etc. At one point when I was trying to relay my line, caught the end in my prop and my motor locks the tilt release if it is in gear.  Had to run up into some shallow water, jump in and desnarl it. Then later when I decided to drag the 2nd line into one of my favorite spots, snagged that bad boy on one of those ole Wye Oaks at the bottom of river and had to cut the line (about 100') and also we lost about 20 -25 baits on what was left. Good thing I had some spare CN's.  FYI: And I was expecting some good luck...never got a crab in the 4 traps.

We moved around some more as the wind was really tricky and kept changing directions.  We had a pretty good system when we got our lines runnning right, with me navigating on the Minnkota and he was up front dipping.  In the end we got about 18 nice crabs with only one light one.  Through it all, the sun came out and it got hotter than [Sam Hill]. That is why you bring cold beer, which perked things up.

I always make the best of my trips to the Wye and this one was right up there in the top five. I also think I got my buddy hooked on big MD crabs and we didn't even get some of the real monsters.  Maybe next time.

Take care and be safe out there.

R/Howard
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:54:29 AM »

GREAT report , thanks

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »

Hey Howard..I know where you were...and we "found " that 'thing" too  bigcry furious3 furious3...I think somebody sunk a '56 Buick in the river... Angry Angry Angry...anyway..great report bro... Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home