Crab fishing in MA

Started by Mando, August 05, 2015, 05:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mando

No clue where to do it , recommendations?

masspi

Do some research.............the answers you seek are here.....many of them posted many times.

Mando

Quote from: masspi on August 05, 2015, 08:50:57 AM
Do some research.............the answers you seek are here.....many of them posted many times.
Already did plenty of research all of it is outdated, Hours of info on locations years ago. To be more specific, looking for updated recent information,  and USEFUL /tips advice .

Thanks for the advice though .

Anyone that would like to contribute respectfully feel free . From beginner info to advanced.

Heard blue crabs were found as far north as Newbury Port MA  Plum island .

tattoo

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

chef

There are no crabs in Massachusetts.  ;)
In search of the elusive Mirelurk

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Mando

Quote from: tattoo on August 05, 2015, 05:14:05 PM
any back bays
Appreciate it ! Someone managed to email me, some maps really great community on here

Mando

Quote from: chef on August 05, 2015, 08:18:33 PM
There are no crabs in Massachusetts.  ;)
You sure ? My friend said the DR. Gurantees you can catch them in MA o.o

MABeerBrewer

I only started crabbing in Cape Cod recently with mixed results. Crab Creek Conservation Area in Yarmouth was a good day (8/24) - easy 10 keepers in under an hour of dip netting at the tunnel (pic attached). We didn't have traps or other gear at the time. I tried two other times at CCCA with no results - once with traps (fresh chicken) and once with dip netting (e few other people around me had a little better luck).

http://ma-yarmouth.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/700

On the suggestion of a local I also tried Swan River off bridge near Clancy's Restaurant with some four sided box traps (frozen mackerel). Lots of spider crabs and a few junk fish, but no blues. This was against my better judgement. I wanted to try Herring River but had limited window of time.

I am going to go again next time I have a chance, but am still getting the hang of bait, locations and timing of the tides at the different locations. Many of the locations at pretty far inland so their low water levels can be 5 or 6 hours after low tide on the Sound.

This all said, we had fun and it's a great way to spend some time.
Tim

"Nothing great was built by tearing people down"

A D V E R T I S E M E N T