October 15, 2021, 04:45:09 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: topsail island crabbing  (Read 13961 times)
4Her

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2006, 06:49:14 AM »

In Aug. I will be taking 20 4-H kids to Topsail Island for a week.  We have done this before and did a little crabbing when we were there.  Have not had much luck though and never got anything big enough to keep.  Any advice about techniques or good places to crab would be appreciated!  Cheesy
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 08:31:10 AM »

In Aug. I will be taking 20 4-H kids to Topsail Island for a week.  We have done this before and did a little crabbing when we were there.  Have not had much luck though and never got anything big enough to keep.  Any advice about techniques or good places to crab would be appreciated!  Cheesy

WHAT ARE YOU USING FOR BAIT,
TRAPS OR HANDLINES?

LAKE MATTUMASKEET NWR IS A GOOD PLACE THE LAKE LANDING NEAR SWANQUARTER THERES A DOCK AS WELL AS THE WOUPOPPIN CANAL LOCKS
4Her

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 07:22:21 AM »

We have used handlines that we bought at the Topsail Sound Pier.  For bait---spoiled chicken---necks, legs wings.  Anything that we can tie on securely. It is lots of fun for the kids!  I will try to find the places you suggested and give them a try.  THANKS!!
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 08:23:17 AM »

We have used handlines that we bought at the Topsail Sound Pier.  For bait---spoiled chicken---necks, legs wings.  Anything that we can tie on securely. It is lots of fun for the kids!  I will try to find the places you suggested and give them a try.  THANKS!!
Huh   "SPOILED  BAIT"   Old  School  Rec Myth!....    Get with the program, Un-Spoiled BAIT!...    Take a lesson from the Commercial  crabbers,  they NEVER use SPOILED  BAIT.

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
Stevo
Lifetime Member

It's all fun and games 'til someone gets steamed!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 09:52:42 AM »

Huh   "SPOILED  BAIT"   Old  School  Rec Myth!....    Get with the program, Un-Spoiled BAIT!...    Take a lesson from the Commercial  crabbers,  they NEVER use SPOILED  BAIT.

Lesson learned.... never use spoiled bait........ I used bull lip last year, bushelled out consistantly first five trips, dropped from 2 to half bushel 6th trip, and two crabs seventh......... trust me, spoiled bait will have you crabbing in vain!!!!!  Undecided Undecided Undecided Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Cry Cry

This website is member-supported. Please help by becoming a Supporting Member today!

kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 10:05:43 AM »

Lesson learned.... never use spoiled bait........ I used bull lip last year, bushelled out consistantly first five trips, dropped from 2 to half bushel 6th trip, and two crabs seventh......... trust me, spoiled bait will have you crabbing in vain!!!!!  Undecided Undecided Undecided Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Cry Cry
Yea...and I was on that trip  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed  Cheesy

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
4Her

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 07:58:50 PM »

Thanks for the info on the spoiled bait.  An old drunk in MS told me that crabs liked stinky stuff---thus the spoiled bait.  I crabbed with him once and we did well.  I have been doing it that way for 25+ years.  Sounds like it is a wonder I ever caught anything!!!  Must have been some starving crabs.  But we have had some good meals off of the NC coast---but never on Topsail.
4Her

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 06:54:56 AM »

Any place closer to Surf City than Mattamuskeet?
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 12:34:15 PM »

Yea...and I was on that trip  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed  Cheesy
Now we know why you went down to 2 crabs laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
CrabbiCandi

Will crab for food!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 01:04:46 PM »

Hello 4Her!  I was recently at Topsail Island and caught lots of crabs (46) off the Breezeway Motel Pier.  The only problem is that you will have lots of people with you and it's a small pier.  They also charge 5.00 per person to fish from their pier.  So, if you go back with your family you should consider trying there.  Also, the food at the Breezeway Restaurant is some of the best i've ever eaten and the service is wonderful.

We tried crabbing at the city pier on two different occassions.  We got 4 crabs the first time and 1 the second.  That won't be enough to keep children happy.

We went to another place in the middle of nowhere and got some too.  I don't know how to tell you to get there but the man at the bait shop across from the restaurant at Snow's Cut (?) told us how to find it.  It's the bait shop on the mainland side of the swing bridge. 

Another place we'll try when we go back is at the south end of the island.  If you go past Jolly Roger and keep going as far as you can go you'll see houses that all look the same.  Sort of a ski village design with dark brown wood, best I can remember.  When you see those houses, take a right.  Go a short distance to the last road on the left.  That takes you to a sandy parking lot beside the water.  We went out there at night without our equipment but I THINK it might be a good place to crab.

Another option that's down the road a bit is close to Ft. Fisher.  If you drive past the aquarium and go to where the road ends, you'll run into some good fishing and crabbing.  There is no charge there and lots of room for everyone to spread out.  There's a rock/concrete wall that looks to go all the way across to another island.  I must caution you, don't get caught on the wall when the tide comes in.  You may find yourself on an island until it goes out again, that is if you don't find yourself under water!

Also, you probably know this already, if you're using handlines, make sure everyone wears shoes.  There are LOTS of oyster shells in the water which can give you nasty cuts (I got one myself).  I recommend beach shoes and not flipflops. 

Good luck and be safe!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home