November 21, 2018, 05:39:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabs dying!!!  (Read 7481 times)
amylee8828

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2015, 04:12:52 AM »

Has anyone else experienced this before?? I'm having a few soft shells die on me during it's shedding process. They bust and then try to back out but then die. It was one or two here and there but now it's happening daily. I changed the water yesterday thinking it could have been bad water but I just had another died. I have no clue what to think or what to try next.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 07:33:52 AM »

I have that happen to.  Over the years I have just figured that they got hung up (stuck) and died because they couldn't get enough OX.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:13:32 AM »

Get ammonia test strips. Your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are out of whack and through the roof.

Get some ridx and pour it into your filter and broadcast it across your tank. Add bleach to your filter as well, how much depends on how big your tank is.
How big is your tank?

You need a protein skimmer

This is the tough part of running a closed system. It's very hard to maintain.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
amylee8828

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 08:21:01 AM »

Ok thanks. I didn't know if this was normal or not. I'm running a 4 x 8 tank.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 08:25:04 AM »

It's not normal, your crabs are being poisoned and are dying when they the most vulnerable. You need to rectify it immediately before you lose them all and lose anymore you add to the tank.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 08:32:38 AM »

There's a thousand ways to make a protein skimmer on line, just search google and find the right one for your application but I'd get on it today, and add one as soon as you can.

in·teg·ri·ty   
amylee8828

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »

Ok thanks
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 11:06:35 AM »

1500 gal/per hour of fresh sea water and it still happens.  Wink Smiley

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »

I'm sure there's a few here and there in an open system but anymore then that you got bad water in your creek, jack.

I'm no stranger to this closed system soft crab operation.

in·teg·ri·ty   
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 12:11:18 PM »

Get ammonia test strips. Your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are out of whack and through the roof.

Get some ridx and pour it into your filter and broadcast it across your tank. Add bleach to your filter as well, how much depends on how big your tank is.
How big is your tank?

You need a protein skimmer

This is the tough part of running a closed system. It's very hard to maintain.
Adding bleach is the worse thing you could do. Your killing your entire system by doing that. You kill the good bacteria.

I wish i was a crab.

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »

You would think, but it don't.

It helps the protein skimmer.

The result in the end would still be the same, dying crabs......if they're dying, there isn't any good bacteria otherwise it would be working and you wouldn't have crabs dying half way through slough.

Of course, you don't have to believe me or take the advise. That's entirely up to you.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:35:48 PM by ChrisS » Logged

in·teg·ri·ty   
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 06:29:26 PM »

You would think, but it don't.

It helps the protein skimmer.

The result in the end would still be the same, dying crabs......if they're dying, there isn't any good bacteria otherwise it would be working and you wouldn't have crabs dying half way through slough.

Of course, you don't have to believe me or take the advise. That's entirely up to you.
I don't have any real experience with sluffing systems. I'm just a aquarium guy. I'd like to have a tank with crabs one day. I know it's pretty tricky. Lots of water testing.

I wish i was a crab.
Mimic

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 03:32:18 PM »

They r buster to weak from lack of Food in your system more then likely they were green crabs not ripe as they were in the tanks longer don't ever put bleach in your system EVER and I don't know why anyone would put ridx in a saltwater tank protein skimmers are not nessisary as you don't have corals in this system and you shouldn't be feeding these crabs. Ripe crabs stop eating altogether befor they bust. You can still peal these crabs out of there shells if they haven't gone bad. If you made a good filtration system you shouldn't have a nitrate problem. I would use a up flow clam shell bed filter where the water drains in to the bottom of the material up threw the media then back to tanks the returns should be set off the water a few inches in a fast streaming motion as to create circulation and bubbles for o2 production. You will always lose a few crabs not 100% of them bust out alive in the wild also make sure you don't have a green crab in this tank if it's a female busting out he might try to mount her and or eat her if he's hungry enuff and in a closed system they r to weak for this. I've bin around closed recirculating systems for 15 years my father in law until his passing had 10k gallons recirculating in what we call (vats) he had 32 vats half for green and half for ripe and would check the vats every few hours 24 hours a day threw out the season. Get a good hydrometer to check you salt levels and go where ever you crab and get a few different readings try if you can to get them at depth because fresh water rides on top of salt and will mess up readings. If for some strange reason you don't have good bacteria in. Your system which you should from the crabs urine you can throw a dead shrimp in the filter area for a few days this will jumpstart your live culture

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home