August 16, 2018, 09:59:52 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Got on the Stone Crabs  (Read 6620 times)
Aixsponsa

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2015, 10:06:54 AM »

I set a couple crab pots where I had a hunch I'd find stone crabs.  Sure enough, I caught about 2 dozen stone crabs.

Is boiling the claws the same day the only real option, or can they be refrigerated a couple days before boiling them?

I cracked them before boiling them, and they were delicious

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Crab Nebula
Lifetime Member

Erfill

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 10:32:18 AM »

Nice!!!! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Aixsponsa

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »

Yeah I was pumped.  It's such a good feeling to validate a hunch.  They were where I thought I'd find them, but I wasn't expecting so many.

I bet close to 10 people have already tried to pry the location where I caught them out of me.  Everybody wants in on a honeyhole LOL

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »

nice, GOOD JOB

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »

Let me guess, it was close to a rocky shoreline near a fishmarket.

Say brother....can you spare a crab...

Aixsponsa

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »

It was near a shoreline, but that's it.   Oysters and junk.  A fish market would be a good place to find anything that likes to eat meat, but there's plenty of people around there too.

ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 06:37:55 AM »

Boil 7-8 minutes then ice slush to draw the meat away from the shell.
If you refrigerate or ice before cooking the meat will stick to the inside of the shell.

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand
Aixsponsa

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 08:17:41 AM »

I found that putting a small crack in them before boiling made a huge difference. I used a sharp meat cleaver, and it worked well.

The seasoning that I boiled them in really got to the meat.  They were delicious when I did that.

The first time I cooked them I didn't crack em.  They were good, but they weren't great. Cracked, they were great.

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 02:43:30 PM »

The first time I caught Stone Crab I put them in the refrigerator for a day until I cooked them. Mistake; they all stuck to the shell!
I read up on them and learned to never cool them before cooking! Now I just steam them up for 8 minutes, cool off to stop cooking process and then freeze. Even after 6 months in the freezer they taste good. I'll have to try some spice on them. Right now I just like them thawed and dipped in warm butter

Retired in paradise!
Aixsponsa

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »

So how do you all handle them?  I mean, time has to pass between catching them and cooking them.

How long is it between catching and cooking, whenever you're doing it as soon as you can?

ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »

So how do you all handle them?  I mean, time has to pass between catching them and cooking them.

How long is it between catching and cooking, whenever you're doing it as soon as you can?
Up to 12 hours on my boat, keep them in lugs and shaded on hot days.

ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 02:06:04 PM »

I found that putting a small crack in them before boiling made a huge difference. I used a sharp meat cleaver, and it worked well.

The seasoning that I boiled them in really got to the meat.  They were delicious when I did that.

The first time I cooked them I didn't crack em.  They were good, but they weren't great. Cracked, they were great.
I found that the LA claws weren't very good compared to the Fl crabs guess thats why you got to spice them up.. Grin

Aixsponsa

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 03:40:28 PM »

I found that the LA claws weren't very good compared to the Fl crabs guess thats why you got to spice them up.. Grin

Awwww. Come on now.

Don't know what was wrong with the ones you had, but the ones I've been eating have been delicious.  Maybe the ones you are weren't cared for properly?

If restaurants outside of Louisiana can do a better job cooking seafood, I'd love to try em

ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 09:08:36 PM »

Awwww. Come on now.

Don't know what was wrong with the ones you had, but the ones I've been eating have been delicious.  Maybe the ones you are weren't cared for properly?

If restaurants outside of Louisiana can do a better job cooking seafood, I'd love to try em

Pink meat and a muddy taste, if they were that good they'd be competing with the Fl ones..

But they don't, y'all got the crawfish down pat but not the stone crabs... Smiley

Aixsponsa

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »

Also, there just aren't the numbers here nor the people going after them like there is in Florida.  There is a commercial demand for them here, but there just aren't the numbers of them like there are blue crabs.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here...the stone crabs I have had were great.  If you had a bad batch, then something wasn't right. 

They're also two different species.  Have a good day...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home