October 20, 2021, 05:59:09 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a buyer of my crabs in 2017!!  (Read 6384 times)
Carolina skiff121
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:34:31 PM »

I'm soon going to be a commercial crabber, and need a buyer in AA county MD. I could provide 5 bushels per week for 3 days per week. I could be the guy who just fills in the cracks. I can be contacted by email or the replies on this post.
Thanks!
rj

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »

I have found that any retail establishment will buy my catch, most prefer to buy local crabs  direct from crabbers, that were caught that day instead days old  crabs that have been stored & shipped from out of state or over the bridge.

the most important thing is make sure they are culled correctly. nothing turns a buyer off like improperly culled crabs.  

for the first time I go to an establishment, I just show up with my catch, so the buyer can inspect them.  good quality , properly culled & packaged crabs will sell themselves
never had anyone turn me down when I bring them good crabs.

the only exception is whites , most will not buy whites.  but you can still find market for them just have to search a little.

Are you a licensed seafood dealer? if you are then you can sell directly to the public, but this can be a pain in the @@@ when it comes to dealing with the public!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:36:10 PM by rj » Logged
Carolina skiff121
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 04:34:48 PM »

Thanks rj. so you mean that I can walk in anywhere and sell my catch?
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »

as long as you have the dealers license or selling to someone that has a dealers license.  the way the laws are you can only sell to a dealer or you must be a dealer.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Carolina skiff121
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 05:35:24 PM »

ok crabbyd thanks, and if anyone wants to buy em, just email me!

double E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 03:58:48 PM »

I know in SOUTH somd it doesn't work that way, at least with our bigger dealers. Usually you have to be recommended from another crabber that has been selling his catch to that particular dealer. But that could be do to the large amount of crabbers down my way.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »

Double E i think in the balt metro area there is a very large market so most crab stores buy like RJ said, retail for the most part. I sell to the public . Yes it is a PIA but thats where you get the highest dollar for your catch and i'm mostly a weekend and summer holiday seller so it works ok for me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:30:20 AM by rdbeard » Logged
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 11:28:43 AM »

I think whether or not a wholesaler will buy your crabs without knowing you at first pretty much depends on the market and how plentiful the crabs are at the time. If there's a strong market and a shortage of crabs, they will be happy to pick up a new crabber. They'll still demand that the crabs are culled properly, but they are more likely to give you a chance. If the market is flooded and crabs are plentiful, you probably won't get in.
I've seen plenty of times when the market was flooded, that the wholesaler would only buy from his regular crabbers and had them on a daily limit of a couple of bushels of #1's. They wouldn't even take #2's, whites or females.
On the other hand, if you're selling to the public you need steady buyers that you can count on, or you're stuck at the end of the day trying to unload your catch. On the days you have buyers lined up and then don't catch any or enough crabs, you risk p*ssing off your customers and they might not come back. That's why most serious crabbers sell primarily to wholesalers. It's usually worth taking a few dollars less for the crabs and having a steady market without the hassle.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:48:33 PM »

Selling them is not as easy as it sounds.  When you catch a load, you'll have trouble selling them.  And when you catch a dozen, you'll have people ringing your phone off the hook. And you'll have people tell you on Monday that they want 2 bushels, and then on Saturday when you have the crabs, your Monday buyer will have something come up Sad

Don't get me wrong, you'll sell plenty, and if you're selling to the public, you'll make decent $, but it can be a real PITA sometimes. Grin

Git 'r dun!
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 12:31:50 AM »

Selling them is not as easy as it sounds.  When you catch a load, you'll have trouble selling them.  And when you catch a dozen, you'll have people ringing your phone off the hook. And you'll have people tell you on Monday that they want 2 bushels, and then on Saturday when you have the crabs, your Monday buyer will have something come up Sad

Don't get me wrong, you'll sell plenty, and if you're selling to the public, you'll make decent $, but it can be a real PITA sometimes. Grin

PIMPIN' ain't easy...........

soggybottomboyz

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »

man ain't you speaking the truth Cool Cool

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
bigdaddy11

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 07:43:20 AM »

Biggest thing is "get a reputation" Stop in and see some buyers, let them know you will be providing quality crabs, then only bring them good quality crabs.  Nothing will stop you quicker in your tracks than bringing trash crabs in...word travels fast, especially here in So. Md.  I purchase crabs and you have to build a relationship, I normally give anyone a chance, but if you try to screw me, we are done!  Found 5 sallys in a "#1 basket" and I about blew my top.  I mark all baskets with the crabbers name, date etc... to keep track of any problems.  I provide my customers with only quality products. Good luck and safe crabbing
fowllife250

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »

I'm soon going to be a commercial crabber, and need a buyer in AA county MD. I could provide 5 bushels per week for 3 days per week. I could be the guy who just fills in the cracks. I can be contacted by email or the replies on this post.
Thanks!

I'll buy your 5 bushels a week and supply you bait if needed. Im Located in shady side 443-404-6131

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home