October 22, 2018, 05:48:10 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Delaware  (Read 4282 times)
letseat

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2016, 04:34:37 PM »

I'm from the western shores of Md specifically Middle River and was thinking of moving to Delaware but my addiction to blue crabbing may keep me put. Can anyone tell me where and when crabs are available for catching in Delaware? Thank you.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 05:10:19 PM »

WELCOME aboard

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
letseat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:59:28 PM »

Tattoo I see your from NJ do you crab in the Delaware bay? If so where? I would like to relocate to a better environment for my kids but I love being out on the Chesapeake bay specifically crabbing. Can anyone give any response on crabbing in Delaware?
Where I'm from you get about 4 months of crabbing activities...not that your catching mad crabs that long but I just enjoy being out on the water and I can't seem to get into fishing.
Thank you for any input.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:50:20 AM »

Hi, just my 2 cents. First if I had my choice on where I lived, MD around the Wye would certainly be on the top of my list. But that would require me hitting the lottery.  laugh laugh :laugh:But since that will most likely never happen I make do with what I have available to me.

I have caught crabs from April around Rehoboth bay areas, mid to late summer out of Del River near Augustine beach and then up until late Oct / early Nov back again in Rehoboth bay areas.

I live in north Wilmington / Claymont just near PA border. If I was going to move to somewhere in DE, I would move to somewhere near Dover / Hartly / Milford areas. That way I could hit lower DE and lower MD waters with in an hours drive during early spring and very late fall and also keeps me in an hours drive for summer crabbing in Del River / Bay and also close to Chester / Wye for crabbing late summer.

As far as more specifics, check out my reports and other Del reports for the past 2 years on the forum and you will get a very good idea of what generally happens crabbing wise in DE.
letseat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 09:40:13 PM »

Thank you sir, sounds like there is plenty of activity in the Delaware bay. The eastern shore of Md is great except for the cost as you noted. You know anything about the Rehoboth or Indian River Bays?

Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 09:34:31 AM »

check out the report section for delaware and you'll be able to get a good idea of when things get started around here.  Usually early your best bet is IR and Rehobeth bays. by late May early June Rehobeth is a sponge crab city tho so best to steer clear of that area once they show up. I usually start in late June a lot of reports come out of the beach areas in the summer but i prefer to stay away from the traffic and do most of my crabbing in the Milford to Smyrna areas. There pretty good crabbing to be had there if you know what your doing. I've crabbed up North a time or two but never did so well.  I think it was too early.

You got to follow the temps and the salt line. Usually start down south in May and work your way North as the conditions push the crabs. 

The good thing about Delaware is its cheaper to live here and you're never too far from Eastern Shore MD crabbing especially if you live in central Delaware.  Most of the hot spots are within an hours drive. Even with license and ramp fees plus the days expenses traveling to MD is still cheaper than what you would pay for crabs.

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
TAJcrabs

@tajacks10

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »

Agree, check out some of my post. I like IR early on and move around to some MD waters depending on the water temps, and salinity. Lots of canals and water ways on the east side of the state, and lots of water ways on the west side of the eastern shore of md.. that make sense?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home