February 17, 2018, 08:08:13 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab Pots (Bending of the rules)  (Read 2329 times)
mattio41

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:41:12 AM »

So here is a fairly dumb question, but an honest one.

From everything I have been reading, you are limited to "2" crab pots per person for a recreational license. I understand each pot must be marked with the registration number and owner's information. According to the E-Regulations webpage: http://www.eregulations.com/newjersey/fishing/saltwater/mollusks-crustaceans/

"Only the owner, his agent, or law enforcement officer may raise or remove contents from a legally set fishing device"

So here is my question. If I pay for a license, and my wife pays for a license. On the tag that we attach to the pots, says "Agent of Record" and use my name. Would that legally allow us to place 4 pots, and if she can't be with me to pull them at one time or another, give me the legal authority to tend to the pots?

I will even go as far to ask about Trotlines... I understand you are allowed 2 - 150' lines. If you had two persons on a vessel with a license, can you bring 4??

mattio41

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »

Never mind, marine law enforcement confirmed. You can have multiple persons within a residence all with a license. And establish each other as agents.
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 05:12:57 PM »

You got it.   2thumbsup

Just a heads up with pots: theft of crab pots is unfortunately a frequent occurrence.  Search the forums and I think you'll find many stories of good folks losing pots to thieves.  Fewer and fewer regular crabbers leave pots soaking overnight because of it.  Maybe those shiny new buoys and lines are a dead giveaway that the pots are new-ish or clean and more attractive to thieves.

23' C Hawk
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 09:29:57 AM »

I've had 4 stolen in two different rivers.  Gotta go low key.  All the thieves see is the very small buoy/float.

First make it small so it can not be seen from a distance.   A not pretty as was suggested.

You got it.   2thumbsup

Just a heads up with pots: theft of crab pots is unfortunately a frequent occurrence.  Search the forums and I think you'll find many stories of good folks losing pots to thieves.  Fewer and fewer regular crabbers leave pots soaking overnight because of it.  Maybe those shiny new buoys and lines are a dead giveaway that the pots are new-ish or clean and more attractive to thieves.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:30:56 AM by Capt. Frank » Logged

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »

Never mind, marine law enforcement confirmed. You can have multiple persons within a residence all with a license. And establish each other as agents.

Was there a procedure to establish each other as agents?  I would think if the buoys are all marked properly (two per license), and you had the licenses with you, all it would take is the obvious permission of your family members to act as their agent in checking the traps.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 08:00:28 PM »

A letter with all of the pertinent info.

9th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 22-23, 2018
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
mattio41

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »

Was there a procedure to establish each other as agents?  I would think if the buoys are all marked properly (two per license), and you had the licenses with you, all it would take is the obvious permission of your family members to act as their agent in checking the traps.

As Ron said, you have to have a letter from the other person that you are acting as an agent for the other persons license.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home