August 15, 2018, 12:47:15 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rehoboth Bay shellfish harvest ban?  (Read 2179 times)
Jeffsqueen

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »

Hello everyone. Just wondering whether anyone else has heard anything about a recent shellfish harvest ban in Rehoboth Bay? The entire bay is not closed; the ban appears to affect portions along the banks and certain tributaries in their entirety.

The article I read indicated that this was not done because of any actual change in the quality of the water. If I'm understanding it correctly, this was ordered because the wastewater treatment plant is outdated, having been designed for relatively low usage during the winter months. Because there are more people in the area during the winter now, in theory, the discharge from the plant could affect the water quality, rendering the environment unsafe for shellfish harvest. It appears as though the order just came down in mid-March.

I could only find the one article, and I was wondering whether anyone else had heard anything about this (not sure if posting links is allowed here; if so and anyone wants the link to the article, let me know). We rent a house on the bay for a week or two every summer, and have been able to pull in enough crabs just using hand lines and traps on the dock to feed the family almost every night. That's a big part of the draw for us. I'd hate to think that's all behind us, but I sure don't want to eat 'em if they've been simmering in .... ahem .... seasoned water. At least not if I know it's been "seasoned."  Shocked

Any additional light anyone can shed on this would be welcomed. Thanks!
bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:21:28 PM »

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/News/Pages/DNREC-Secretarys-Order,-following-new-FDA-guidance,-halts-shellfish-harvest-in-seasonal-area-on-Rehoboth-Bay.aspx

Perhaps the link above is for the same article that you read. I don't think the restriction includes crabs though. Looks like it is directed at shellfish that could be eaten raw.
Jeffsqueen

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:33:45 PM »

No, that's a different and much more informative article. PHEW. Thanks! Glad I asked!
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 07:57:55 PM »

Crabs are crustaceans, not shell fish. oops

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home