February 20, 2018, 10:07:17 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marine Biology Project  (Read 4194 times)
David Renteria

« on: October 08, 2003, 08:53:54 AM »

So what do Blue Crabs do for their environments and for the ecosystem?  Or are they just there?
searay

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 04:52:33 PM »

Among the numerous positive aspects of the crab:

Crabs provide a food source for other marine creatures. They are also scavengers and help rid the waters of certain dead and dying water dwellers.

They have been around for at least 500 million years so they must be doing something right.

They also provide a means of making a living for watermen in many parts of the world. However, this is not their primary reason for being.

Crabs are by no means "just there" any more than we are. Everything has a purpose.

Searay
Pete Miller

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 10:42:48 AM »

I read a very interesting article a couple of months ago about the relationship between blue crab and marsh grasses.

Apparently large areas of marsh are dying off due to local snails eating them.  The study conducted noted that a complete absence of blue crabs in these areas resulted in the snails multiplying unchecked to the point where they devoured the entire marsh.  The study also stated that the snails were a favorite food source for blue crabs.  

http://www.blue-crab.org/crabnews/2002081201.htm  This is the link for the article.

Pete Miller
252-269-0241

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home