August 19, 2018, 04:16:58 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shore or pier Crabbing spots near Longboat Key, Sarasota Bay, Bradenton area  (Read 969 times)
jjobst

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2016, 05:42:25 PM »

My family purchase a property on Longboat Key. Last year I tested the waters for crabbing. I have been crabbing all my life. We caught a few blues. To be honest we caught more spider and stone crab than anything. The population also doesn't seem to crab very much down there.

From my experience though it was hard to find bait and hard to find spots to throw the traps. We tried the bay behind the house but no luck. Treid a few other off the road looking spots but nothing. We went to the big pier in Anna Maria (I think it was) but it was crowded on the end and shallow on the walk out. Didn't see anyone crabbing so we didn't try it. This year I am going to throw out a commercial trap for better luck.

But the kids want to have fun pulling the traps.

2 questions:
Where is a good place to buy crab bait? Up north we would use bunker and down here I know there is mullet but couldn't find any. The only bait shop I went to didn't seem like the guy was too bright about catching crabs to say the least. Even if it is further up north and we can get it on the drive in.

Does anyone know of any good pier, dock, or shallow estuary that is good? We used to go out in the inlets up north in jersey and it worked great.

Any info would be appreciated.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home