November 16, 2018, 07:56:40 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steaming Help  (Read 3281 times)
#1 JIMMY

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2016, 05:05:03 PM »

Just used my new setup I got for Christmas today. A Bayou classic burner with the stockpot and steaming insert basket. I only was steaming a dozen crabs. Turned on the burner and get it start steaming like crazy. Steamed the crabs for only 18 minutes and they seem a little overcooked. Any tips on timing and flame adjustment . Maybe I had the flame to high as this setup was steaming like no tomorrow. Thanks
shorebilly

Crab Life

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 06:00:33 PM »

I normally steam a half of bushel at a time, once I get the water boiling and holding a steady boil I get the crabs in there and keep the temp high then work it down to medium-high after everything "settling down" in there. Just keep it kicking till they anit kickin then lower the heat some.

Avgerage cook time 25min
Bit of water
Can of beer
bit of apple cider vinegar
bit of JO#2 in the boil and all over the crabs.

i get em off the heat as soon as they're done cokkin.   

I wish I was a crab
#1 JIMMY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 09:24:22 PM »

I normally steam a half of bushel at a time, once I get the water boiling and holding a steady boil I get the crabs in there and keep the temp high then work it down to medium-high after everything "settling down" in there. Just keep it kicking till they anit kickin then lower the heat some.

Avgerage cook time 25min
Bit of water
Can of beer
bit of apple cider vinegar
bit of JO#2 in the boil and all over the crabs.

i get em off the heat as soon as they're done cokkin.   
Thanks sounds good
shorebilly

Crab Life

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 05:38:09 AM »

your welcome, everyone cooks em different.

I would guess if they were done in 18 min and were overcooked, you probably had the gas at full blast lol Cool Cookin with gas!

I wish I was a crab
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 06:45:39 AM »

stupid  Rolling boil first, steam for 25 minutes from the time you close the lid.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.

TAJcrabs

@tajacks10

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 07:12:40 AM »

Also depends on the amount of crabs in the pot.. for just a dozen you dont need the heat up that high for the duration of the steam, like shore said, cut the heat back once they are in and settled
shorebilly

Crab Life

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 10:37:03 AM »

Also depends on the amount of crabs in the pot.. for just a dozen you dont need the heat up that high for the duration of the steam, like shore said, cut the heat back once they are in and settled

I agree, Normally if its only a dozen its a few minutes shorter on the steam.

Man Im ready for some crabs!

I wish I was a crab
saxon4646

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 10:35:09 AM »

I don't use a gas burner to steam my crabs - I mainly use a burner on the stove. I steam a dozen at a time 10 minutes- then remove and run cold water over them to cool them down and they come out awesome every time. If you don't run the water over them- the shell retains heat and the meat still is cooking resulting in mushy crab meat. Just my experience.
shorebilly

Crab Life

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »

I don't use a gas burner to steam my crabs - I mainly use a burner on the stove. I steam a dozen at a time 10 minutes- then remove and run cold water over them to cool them down and they come out awesome every time. If you don't run the water over them- the shell retains heat and the meat still is cooking resulting in mushy crab meat. Just my experience.

Up here in the chesapeake bay the crabs are ornery and it takes at least 15 minutes to kill em! Grin

I wish I was a crab
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 08:10:28 AM »

one factor in the timing is whether the crabs are cold or at room temp. when thrown in the pot.........there are many other variables too, size of pot,amount of crabs, crabs hard or soft, amount of heat, etc.... even when you have it down to a science, I find a difference once in a while.....I've always used 17 min. as a norm..

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 10:02:18 PM »

23 mins then let sit for a few more.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 10:03:15 PM »

one factor in the timing is whether the crabs are cold or at room temp. when thrown in the pot.........there are many other variables too, size of pot,amount of crabs, crabs hard or soft, amount of heat, etc.... even when you have it down to a science, I find a difference once in a while.....I've always used 17 min. as a norm..

2 crabs or 20. Still 23 mins for me.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 05:57:02 AM »

I just ordered a Bayou burner,50qt. pot, with strainer pot yesterday  from Amazon. $109 + tax & free shipping. There are lots of good reviews from crab steaming and low country craw dad /shrimp  cooks on their website. All the info from above posts are good. Here are some added tips. The first visible  sign to test if they are done is to lift the lid and look at  the top shells . They should be bright red without any green color still showing. If you think they are done, remove a top crab and without turning off your burner and replace the lid. Lift off the top shell of  crab to see if it is watery in the center. The meat should be starting to firm up and not runny like an egg that is still uncooked. If the meat is still runny, replace the lid and give it a few more minutes and check it again. If you think they are  done, turn off heat and remove lid so they will not over cook. I always take the pot outside before opening the lid to stop them from cooking and cool down. The Outdoor Bayou burner I just ordered will change that by cooking them out doors on the patio. My final test for a perfectly steamed crab is when I crack the claw by the pincers and can easily remove the  claw meat from that sector by it easily sliding out. It should not stick to the inside shell ,that means it is a bit over done and a bit dry. It shouldn't be watery when removed either.  That means it is a bit under cooked. The claw meat should be slightly firm but moist and juicy. Watery means under cooked. Dry means over cooked. Every stove and pot is slightly differen't. You will have to figure out how much cooking time with how many crabs in the pot works best for you by doing these simple tests. After you do it a few times you will know how long to cook each batch and get it pretty close to serve your perfectly steamed crabs.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home