February 23, 2018, 09:41:39 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody crabbing ESVA?  (Read 3095 times)
thecameraguy

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2016, 08:03:51 PM »

I'm headed to ESVA on 6/23 and will probably drop some traps in either Onancock of down Cape Charles way by Fisherman's Island. Anybody have any recent experience?
thecameraguy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:06:35 PM »

To the 223 folks that have viewed this post up until now..... SIT TIGHT!!!!  Roll Eyes No, No, No....... don't get up off that chair in front of the PC..... you just sit there with a cold frosty one and drool over the crab pics here!! Tongue Me and the model babe will be out on the water tomorrow and I'll stop back here to let you know how we did.  bandana
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 08:03:17 AM »

Didn't see this post until now.  It's been crab on  since opening day.  I have never seen so many crabs!   Tons of little ones and lots of big ones must have survived the winter.  And if you hit a dry period crab are going for 20 bucks a bushel off the boats.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
tbishop

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 02:00:40 PM »

Have not been to the ES in a while, but let us Virginians know how you did, and PLEASE post pics of your crabs and your BABE! I will judge how hot you did. Wink Grin bandana
thecameraguy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:24:11 PM »

As promised, I'm back!! Me & the Mrs. went out of Wise Point this morning. Primary focus was flounder fishing and we picked up a nice 20" fish.

We took 6 collapsible traps baited with bunker. Made the first run after a 20 minute soak. Picked up 8 crabs in 6 traps. I have not had that happen since 1991. Let the traps soak another 20-25 minutes. BANG! 9 crabs on the second run. Tried again after 20 minutes and things slowed down to a rate of only one crab per trap.

Now for the bad news........of the 23 crabs, all but one were female. Of the 22 females, at least 17 had egg sacks.
Stopped on the way home and bought some shrimp to go with the flounder.

Beautiful day on the water, 75 degrees with a light wind and plenty of sunshine. I'm headed out tomorrow and I will let you know how we do. Probably headed out of Onancock Creek.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 08:01:21 PM »

As promised, I'm back!! Me & the Mrs. went out of Wise Point this morning. Primary focus was flounder fishing and we picked up a nice 20" fish.

We took 6 collapsible traps baited with bunker. Made the first run after a 20 minute soak. Picked up 8 crabs in 6 traps. I have not had that happen since 1991. Let the traps soak another 20-25 minutes. BANG! 9 crabs on the second run. Tried again after 20 minutes and things slowed down to a rate of only one crab per trap.

Now for the bad news........of the 23 crabs, all but one were female. Of the 22 females, at least 17 had egg sacks.
Stopped on the way home and bought some shrimp to go with the flounder.

Beautiful day on the water, 75 degrees with a light wind and plenty of sunshine. I'm headed out tomorrow and I will let you know how we do. Probably headed out of Onancock Creek.
Was plenty hot on the Sound.  Got some big crabs but not many.  However, I'm fishing unbaited pots.  Peeler pots were mostly empty. Nice job on the flatty

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
rj

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »

mouth of onancock creek, near the bay,  8-9 ft water, jimmies
thecameraguy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 09:13:46 PM »

Took a trip to the mouth of the Onancock. More crab buoys than I could count. Found a spot on the south side of the creek at marker 12. Set up in 8-10 feet of water. Made 4 runs of 10 traps and had 1 keeper. Decent crabbing but no size to them. Wind out of the east was blowing pretty good and we had some small white cap chop. Picked up and moved to the north side of the creek near marker 13. Set up in about 5-8 ft. and made a couple runs. Good crabbing but still anything legal was scarce, We wound up with 1/2 dozen keepers. Undecided

East wind tends to dampen things.
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 11:35:48 PM »

To the 223 folks that have viewed this post up until now..... SIT TIGHT!!!!  Roll Eyes No, No, No....... don't get up off that chair in front of the PC..... you just sit there with a cold frosty one and drool over the crab pics here!! Tongue Me and the model babe will be out on the water tomorrow and I'll stop back here to let you know how we did.  bandana
We're running out of cold frostys waiting for the pictures .
Billycrab

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 02:47:29 PM »

We have a place on Kings Creek in Cape Charles and I was last down there over Mothers Day weekend. I put my 2 pots off the end of my pier baited with chicken backs and overnight the traps had 17 crabs in them the next morning. Granted only 5 of them were males over 5.5 inches and I had 3 sponge females which I have never seen before that far back in the creek that early in the season. I was told that the season started out on FIRE and everybody was catching their limit...not sure how it is now but will be heading back down there mid-August so will post a report later next month. Good luck everyone!

BC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home