August 21, 2018, 09:40:57 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab boat license  (Read 3630 times)
Mag
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:54:20 PM »

Ive read the rules but im still not sure of this. If im crabbing by boat, do i need the maryland crab boat license or just the normal rec crabbing license. The way i read it i only need the crab boat licence if i let someone else run my boat and gear?
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 11:00:19 PM »

That is correct. If you always plan on being on board for the crabbing trips than a regular license is fine. You can only keep 2 bushel if accompanied by another licensed individual either way.
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 11:05:34 PM »

The way the regs are written, I've never been sure - so as a non-resident I buy the crab license, the crabbing boat license and the Bay & Coastal license. That way, I'm covered.

Here's what the regs state (Good luck with interpretation):

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:10:40 PM by Seanile » Logged

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
Mag
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 12:44:05 AM »

Thx that is how i thought it was too. But when i was at smiths last week i had a guy looking hard at where i got my boat numbers and reg sticker.  thought he was looking for a license sticker or something.  Or maybe he was wondering why this jersey guy was in his neck of the woods. Either way it got me thinking i may be missing something.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 02:16:23 AM »

The only thing the boat license gets you is it allows you to lend your boat to a non-licensed crabber and he can keep a full bushel. If you always plan on being on board, then there is no difference between the boat license and regular license other than $5 extra cost. I still get one anyway even though I am always on board. I guess I just like the little stickers.

racermo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 12:53:19 PM »

I called dnr before getting my license this year since this will be my first year with my own boat. The lady there told me the boat license will cover everyone on the boat (still 1 bushel) if I only got an individual license then only myself or anyone who also had an individual license could pull traps. I asked since my kids and friends go with us. So according to her if the boat does not have a license everyone who is planning on pulling traps must have their individual license. My wife also got her individual license so we can catch up to the 2 bushel's. Hope this helps
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 01:53:54 PM »

I called dnr before getting my license this year since this will be my first year with my own boat. The lady there told me the boat license will cover everyone on the boat (still 1 bushel) if I only got an individual license then only myself or anyone who also had an individual license could pull traps. I asked since my kids and friends go with us. So according to her if the boat does not have a license everyone who is planning on pulling traps must have their individual license. My wife also got her individual license so we can catch up to the 2 bushel's. Hope this helps

Once again a DNR clerk has given someone false info:
From COMAR: Please note (2) & (3)
E. Exceptions. An individual who catches or attempts to catch crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries is not required to have a recreational crabbing license if the individual:

(1) Uses any of the following gear:

(a) A dipnet;

(b) A handline; or

(c) Up to two crab pots, if qualified to use crab pots as set forth in Regulation .07D of this chapter;

(2) Is assisting an individual who has a recreational crabbing license; or

(3) Is crabbing for recreational purposes from a boat that has been licensed by the Department as a recreational crabbing boat.
bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 07:02:03 PM »

Ditto what Mikie said. Everybody on board is covered by your license.  1 bushel limit, unless someone else on board has a license, then 2 bushel limit. The crab boat license is pretty much useless under most circumstances when you consider the higher cost.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 06:26:40 AM »

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/fishing/blue-crabs-chesapeake-bay-its-tidal-tributaries
Dirichlet

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 10:50:41 AM »

Get the boat license, and get your own recreational individual license.  Then, any time you bring a friend along you can get two bushels as your friend will be effectively using your boat's license, and you'll be on your individual recreational. 

Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 11:13:34 AM »

Get the boat license, and get your own recreational individual license.  Then, any time you bring a friend along you can get two bushels as your friend will be effectively using your boat's license, and you'll be on your individual recreational. 

I don't think it will actually work that way, COMAR is pretty specific:

(e) One licensed individual, who is not the owner of the licensed vessel,
accompanied by any number of unlicensed individuals on board a licensed vessel 2 bushels male hard crabs  2 dozen soft crabs,
2 dozen male peeler crabs,
or a combination of 2 dozen
soft crabs and male peeler crabs 

You can't purchase multiple licenses to beat the catch limits. The fact that you bought a license in addition to the complimentary one issued with the sticker means you just donated to the DNR's budget. If the owner is aboard the boat, that's the boat license. If the other guest also buys a license then you can keep 2 bushels.
Srg158

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 04:47:14 AM »

Thank you all for this thread.  I just want to be clear because I read the regs (not COMAR but the other website with the summary). I have a FISH boat as a non-resident.  MD says it includes a free individual rec crabbing, although I never get any specific paper license.  As I read the regulations I and my guests on the boat can crab without a CRAB boat license.  1 bushel limit and I have to be onboard.  But the guests can also pull traps.  I can run up to 1200'' trotline and 30 traps. I understand if I have someone else that has a rec license I can get up to 2 bushels. 

Is my understanding correct?  I am new to MD fishing and crabbing regs and I find them very difficult.  I also found DNR info sometimes is not accurate to COMAR (the text description of rockfish zones does not match  COMAR and DNR maps online)
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 10:30:14 AM »

Thank you all for this thread.  I just want to be clear because I read the regs (not COMAR but the other website with the summary). I have a FISH boat as a non-resident.  MD says it includes a free individual rec crabbing, although I never get any specific paper license.  As I read the regulations I and my guests on the boat can crab without a CRAB boat license.  1 bushel limit and I have to be onboard.  But the guests can also pull traps.  I can run up to 1200'' trotline and 30 traps. I understand if I have someone else that has a rec license I can get up to 2 bushels. 

Is my understanding correct?  I am new to MD fishing and crabbing regs and I find them very difficult.  I also found DNR info sometimes is not accurate to COMAR (the text description of rockfish zones does not match  COMAR and DNR maps online)

You are correct. You have a complimentary rec crabbing license as long as you are the listed owner on the fishing sticker paperwork. For some reason, DNR doesn't list the complimentary crab license on the paperwork. I would be sure to have the sticker paperwork showing you as the owner just to avoid any problems. I think DNR is in the process of trying to eliminate the complimentary crab license in the future.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home