October 18, 2019, 03:12:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magothy 7/16/2016  (Read 6558 times)
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2016, 12:11:12 PM »

1200 ft line with salted eel, 20 traps baited with chicken necks. Started at legal time. Finished around 11:00 with about a bushel and 2/3 mixed size but heavy. Put a GoPro in a trap to see what was happening below. First several minnows started eating the neck, then a sunfish ran them off, then a crab ran the sunfish off, then a bigger crab ran him off. The last crab was a 7 inch crab that we pulled up.

I'll attach a link to the video after it gets editted down to a reasonable length.

Of the 2 things for which you can wake me in the middle of the night, crabs is one of them.
Crab Nebula
Lifetime Member

Erfill

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »

I'll attach a link to the video after it gets editted down to a reasonable length.

Can't wait to see that! Thanks for posting!!!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 12:38:11 PM »

Good job

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:23:51 PM »

Edited the video to just show the big crab driving off the smaller crab.  I hope the link works.

=> https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtVu4VmzXqHihSu8q3YjxxBGJ0qs

Of the 2 things for which you can wake me in the middle of the night, crabs is one of them.
SOS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 07:43:22 PM »

Ho Lee Sheet      THAT'S GREAT !

dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:44:09 PM »

Really cool video....thanks for posting Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 05:18:21 AM »

Nice picture of those almost two bushels of crabs. The video doesn't work for me, but that may be because I'm using the linux Mint operating system instead of the Windows 7 operating system.

Thanks for sharing your report and photo.

Standup Paddleboard: SUP Sports Hammer: Length 8' 11". Width: 31". Thickness: 4". Volume: 140 Liters. Weight: 17#.
Crab Nebula
Lifetime Member

Erfill

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 08:29:57 AM »

I hope the link works.

Works for me! Very cool!!!
crabsforlife

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 01:32:55 PM »

Nice pictures and awesome video, what a great idea, now you need to link that to a monitor in the boat and pull em up when you see em.

With the right timing you could have had 2 crabs in 1 shot.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 01:55:40 PM »

Nice pictures and awesome video, what a great idea, now you need to link that to a monitor in the boat and pull em up when you see em.

I'm sure that's bordering on illegal somehow.

crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 04:27:12 PM »

The Go Pro has Blu Ray and you can monitor it on your smart phone, but you'd need as many Go Pro's as you have traps and that is cost-prohibitive.  We just did it to see what was going on below, not to determine whether or not to pull the trap.

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 04:31:56 PM »

The Go Pro has Blu Ray and you can monitor it on your smart phone, but you'd need as many Go Pro's as you have traps and that is cost-prohibitive.  We just did it to see what was going on below, not to determine whether or not to pull the trap.
I know you can't use any electronic devices to hunt. You better make sure the same doesn't appy to fishing and crabbing before you attempt anything like that. I am not referring to depthfinders and trotline winders, but rather devices such as cameras to monitors, electronic bait, etc... Could get VERY costly if busted doing something wrong.
Straw Hatter

A crab in the net is worth two in the water !

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 04:49:46 PM »

Great video, thanks for sharing !

SH
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »

I know you can't use any electronic devices to hunt. You better make sure the same doesn't appy to fishing and crabbing before you attempt anything like that. I am not referring to depthfinders and trotline winders, but rather devices such as cameras to monitors, electronic bait, etc... Could get VERY costly if busted doing something wrong.

Just curious?
Exactly what ''electrical items''  are you saying is illegal to use for hunting? Trail cams are legal, electronic predator calls are legal, electronic crow calls are legal, spot lights are legal for night hunting of predators, bionic hearing devices (battery operated) are legal for all hunting. These things are all legal in Pa. for hunting.  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 05:11:31 PM »

If you only had 19 more go pros you could catch 20  7 ups every time.

discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 05:51:20 PM »

The Go Pro has Blu Ray and you can monitor it on your smart phone,

Glad you mentioned this. Last week while on Vac, we used a Go Pro in two of our traps and my son's friend had the Blu Ray set up on his phone to see if we could monitor the trap in real time watch the crabs go into the trap but unfortunately as soon as the trap went down in the water it stopped transmitting live to his phone. He thinks it cannot transmit through the water, but at least we gave it a shot. Hoping to also share our videos soon once my son and his friend make some time to edit them.

As far as legal or not, I have never seen this in the rules and regs so if it did work we would certainly use it until it was ruled illegal.
twlazio

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 06:05:13 PM »

People on here are such PRUDES.  Stop trying to find something wrong with a cool video.  That is all it is.  A cool video.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 09:18:25 PM »

Never said it wasn't. I like it as well. Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote.
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 10:32:56 AM »

Glad you mentioned this. Last week while on Vac, we used a Go Pro in two of our traps and my son's friend had the Blu Ray set up on his phone to see if we could monitor the trap in real time watch the crabs go into the trap but unfortunately as soon as the trap went down in the water it stopped transmitting live to his phone. He thinks it cannot transmit through the water, but at least we gave it a shot. Hoping to also share our videos soon once my son and his friend make some time to edit them.

As far as legal or not, I have never seen this in the rules and regs so if it did work we would certainly use it until it was ruled illegal.

We only had the Go Pro in one trap and only for 2 runs before the battery died.  You had to be right on top of it to pick it up on the phone and it was in about 3 - 4 feet, so the range on the monitoring function is really limited in water.  The second time we picked it up, it had the 7" crab in it, but the video ended before we picked it up.  It was good way to see what was happening down there, but I wouldn't use it as a tool to better my catch.

crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »

Nice picture of those almost two bushels of crabs. The video doesn't work for me, but that may be because I'm using the linux Mint operating system instead of the Windows 7 operating system.

Thanks for sharing your report and photo.

I'll see if my son can post the video on YouTube.  He's out of town until Saturday, so it might be a while.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home