September 18, 2019, 06:17:11 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern Shore Creek 7/24/16  (Read 6408 times)
Dae

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »

I've been freezing mine for 20 years, line is just like new. Finish crabbing, put the whole barrel in the chest freezer. Before the next trip pull it out and dump 5-6 gallons of hot water over the line. Let it sit for awhile and then transfer the line to another barrel re-baiting as needed.
I put mine in the freezer baited.  You think the chicken might still be good?
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 02:19:09 PM »

absolutely esp right now. 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »

Depends on what kind of shape it was in when you froze it - if it was good while you were using it and you came straight home and froze it, certainly it should be good. If you left it sitting in the back of a pick-up or in a boat in this kind of weather for several hours, probably not. Roll Eyes
When I put mine in the freezer at the end of the year I put a big note on the top of the line saying what kind of shape it's in so I'll know when I pull it out for the first time the next year. No way I'm going to remember for sure 6 months later at this stage in life. Grin
Dae

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »

Depends on what kind of shape it was in when you froze it - if it was good while you were using it and you came straight home and froze it, certainly it should be good. If you left it sitting in the back of a pick-up or in a boat in this kind of weather for several hours, probably not. Roll Eyes
When I put mine in the freezer at the end of the year I put a big note on the top of the line saying what kind of shape it's in so I'll know when I pull it out for the first time the next year. No way I'm going to remember for sure 6 months later at this stage in life. Grin
Actually I remember exactly what shape it was in.  It was freshly baited, but put in the freezer because something came up and we never went crabbing for years...  worst part is, I haven't even looked at it because stuff started accumulating on top of the freezer... 

I've got some cleaning to do, just to be able to open it.... yikes!
RandJonthebay

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 08:45:03 AM »

I bait my line a day or two before our trip. Then I stick it in the freezer until needed. When I used to trailer, It would be at least a couple of hours before we got to our spot. The line would always be thawed by then. These days I pull it out of the freezer, take it out to the dock and fill the bucket with water. A half hour is all it takes to thaw it.

I don't mess with trying to de-bait my line as I bring it in. Mostly I just try to get all the jellies off it. If it needs re bated, I find a spot away from the house to do it. First I remove all the bait, rinse the line and then re bait while the line is still wet. Back in the freezer it goes.

I hope to get two uses out of a freshly baited line. In order to have a better chance, I will catch all the crabs on the line per run. Once at the end of the line, I will keep motoring past it as I cull the catch. I sort them into three baskets. 5 1/4 - 6 into one, 6 and up into another and all the throw backs into a third. By the time that's done I'm usually several hundred yards away from the end of my line and then dump the smalls back in. I do this so that the same small crabs aren't just eating my bait all day long. To many times I have seen a small crab just swim back over to my line after being dumped from the net as we run the line. One year I even put a small dot on a few crabs with a sharpie to confirm that I was catching the same crab over and over again. I was.

The only concern I have with this method is, does having the smalls in a basket for a few minutes before I dump them qualify as "in possession". I have had my catch checked by the DNR at the ramp but never while on the water while working my line.

Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 09:52:21 AM »

I think it is pretty common for most guys to use a cull basket and keeper basket.  As long as your not being watched and your culling after every run I think you would be alright with keeping smalls while you cull and run the line. 

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home