July 08, 2020, 10:53:57 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7/30/16: Lower Potomac Creek  (Read 2697 times)
CocoCrab

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:48:11 PM »

I took two of my boys out to a new creek we've never crabbed before.  It was a long drive from home so we actually did some recon with perfectionist rings on the evening of the 29th and stayed over on the boat.  Based on those results, we decided to lay the trotline further up creek where it narrowed considerably.  On Saturday morning we laid out 600' with chicken necks and 10 perfectionist rings in another creek arm.  Tide was almost dead low.  Water temp 86.  Lots of jellies and slightly off-color water clarity.  We were surprised that there wasn't a single other crabber in the creek on a Saturday morning.  First run had 4 keepers and a mess of undersized males and females.  Checked the rings in the other location and had 1 keeper.  We moved the rings to another location, hit the line again and had another handful of keepers.  Never seen so many crabs - had to be a crab on 60-70% of the baits.  The kids were having a blast.  After each run we culled the crabs and only kept the #1s or better after the pinch test.  It was tough on my boys to chuck back 7" crabs that failed the pinch test, but there were plenty that passed the test.  We checked the rings at the second test site a few times in between runs on the line and did not get a single keeper - only a few undersized.  We moved the rings again; this time to the main creek stem further down creek. Same story - no keepers and few crabs at all, yet the line in the same spot up the creek kept producing at least 2-4 keepers per run throughout the morning.  We finished early before the weather got bad.  Kids had a blast netting and backing one another up on the line - non-stop action.  I was hoping for a bigger average size for the crabs - so many smaller crabs.  They were delicious nonetheless.  There are a lot of commercial pots out at the mouth of the creek and some inside, but still surprised that there were no other rec crabbers in the creek on a Saturday.  Of course, I'm used to Western shore rivers on a weekend.  I'm thinking that a long drive may not be such a bad idea if it means having the water to yourself on a Saturday.

CocoCrab
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:23:39 PM »

Nice report , catch and pic's

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crab Nebula
Lifetime Member

Erfill

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 05:42:08 AM »

Nice job! Sounds like a great day!!!
CrazyStups

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:14:56 AM »

Nice catch and report!  I sounds like your boys had fun!  Its very exciting when the crabbing is good and their is a crab on almost every bait.  It becomes fun and that's what its all about!  Congrats and enjoy them!
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:41:04 AM »

Nice detailed report. I know you and your boys enjoyed their new crabbing spot.

Thanks for sharing your report and photo.

Standup Paddleboard: SUP Sports Hammer: Length 8' 11". Width: 31". Thickness: 4". Volume: 140 Liters. Weight: 17#.

discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 09:14:21 AM »

I enjoyed your report and a great pic of your boys. Thanks for sharing.

So you stayed over on the boat? I am interested to know did you sleep on the boat or pitch a tent on shore?
CocoCrab

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 10:16:49 PM »

We actually slept on the boat.  (well the boys did - I sort of cat napped).  We could not have asked for a better night.  I'm attaching a pic of the boys still asleep in their sacks while I set all the gear.  My one son woke up as I was making the first run on the line a bit disappointed that I didn't wake him up.  I couldn't believe they could sleep through the motor starting and the ruckus I was making.

CocoCrab
Crab Nebula
Lifetime Member

Erfill

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 07:53:53 AM »

We actually slept on the boat.  (well the boys did - I sort of cat napped).  We could not have asked for a better night.  I'm attaching a pic of the boys still asleep in their sacks while I set all the gear.  My one son woke up as I was making the first run on the line a bit disappointed that I didn't wake him up.  I couldn't believe they could sleep through the motor starting and the ruckus I was making.

Awesome!!!!! Treasure every minute - They grow up SO fast!!!!
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 08:06:48 AM »

That is awesome. That is one memory you and your boys will always cherish. I may have to give that a try. Being a Boy Scout leader I have slept outside many times, but sleeping under the stars on a boat would be a first for me.
CocoCrab

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 03:52:19 PM »

Thanks for the sanity check.  My wife thinks I'm crazy for doing it.  Of course, we know the wisdom of God is folly to the world.

And the stars were incredible!  Of course - you've got to pick your nights.  Saturday night would have been true folly.

CocoCrab

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home