February 22, 2018, 09:15:03 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Public Access for beach/pier crabbing and or clamming around Chincoteague/ESVA?  (Read 2293 times)
Dae

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2016, 05:15:46 PM »

Can anyone recommend an area where I might be able to take a 5yo for some chicken neckin and or clamming?  I prefer being around Chincoteague, but if some other area of the eastern shore of VA is better, I'll go there...

Thanks!

BTW, I need to do this from the shore as I won't be taking a boat...
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »

There is a nice park with a pier right in Chincoteague, Veteran's Memorial Park.  There is also a nice fishing/crabbing pier in Saxis.  Saxis is about 20 mins west of Chinco. Folks also crab along the road out to the sea shore.

You can clam right in the park on the Tom's cove side..  It gets alot of clamming pressure tho...

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Dae

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:37:09 PM »

Thanks for the info Jack...  Without looking it up, I do wonder how one uses a fishing/crabbing pier 20 mins west of Chincoteague...  In my head, I see dry land there.  Grin
Dae

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:40:47 PM »

Son of a Gun!!  Saxis is on the bay!  I'm thinking, based on location, it probably doesn't get as much crabbing pressure as Chincoteague.  I'll have to research this a bit more to see if it might be the best bet...

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 08:10:41 AM »

Thanks for the info Jack...  Without looking it up, I do wonder how one uses a fishing/crabbing pier 20 mins west of Chincoteague...  In my head, I see dry land there.  Grin
Trust me 20 mins. west of Chinco. is quite wet.  laugh FYI, If you stand on my front porch you are looking at the widest part of the Bay. About 45 miles across.  Grin

Dae

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 11:12:34 PM »

Just got home about 30 mins ago ...  I made it down to Saxis with the kids and they had a blast!  The pier is a bit small and the water was shallow (maybe about 3ft @ high tide), but they were catching crabs...  Lots of crabs but most all were to small and female.  Kids didn't care because it was non-stop action and they want to go back tomorrow.. I guess technically today, now that it's after midnight.

I think we caught 50 + little crabs between 3:30pm and 6:30pm.  From all the crabs we caught, only 6 would have been keepers.  We used 4 crab rings and started with 3 hand lines.  When we noticed the hand lines were the producers, we put 3 more out.  Most all the crabs were on hand lines.  

I did have an issue with the pier.  The railing is to high and you have to go over the railing to net crabs from a hand line.  The standard metal nets, I don't know how long the handle is, maybe 5 ft??  Is barely long enough.

BTW, we were the only ones out there, so we had the pier all to ourselves.  a couple walked up the pier then walked back.  We saw a few cars come up and looks but most turned back around... a couple of pickups stopped by the point and the guys got out and were fishing.

This is one friendly sleepy little town from what I saw...  When I drove by folks, they all seemed to wave..

After crabbing, we went over to Chinco and had dinner at the Crab Shack...  Food was ok, but the service is super slow...  

Oh, I did see a stop where we might try crabbing.  Just before Saxis, there was a sign for fishing/kayak.  We drove down and it looked might a tiny beach area.. I'm thinking next time, we might try and get there during low tide and see if we can get any clams...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:14:32 PM by Dae » Logged
tbishop

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 01:21:59 AM »

Thanks for the report, good kids had a great time. They will always remember!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 07:29:39 AM »

Just got home about 30 mins ago ...  I made it down to Saxis with the kids and they had a blast!  The pier is a bit small and the water was shallow (maybe about 3ft @ high tide), but they were catching crabs...  Lots of crabs but most all were to small and female.  Kids didn't care because it was non-stop action and they want to go back tomorrow.. I guess technically today, now that it's after midnight.

I think we caught 50 + little crabs between 3:30pm and 6:30pm.  From all the crabs we caught, only 6 would have been keepers.  We used 4 crab rings and started with 3 hand lines.  When we noticed the hand lines were the producers, we put 3 more out.  Most all the crabs were on hand lines.  

I did have an issue with the pier.  The railing is to high and you have to go over the railing to net crabs from a hand line.  The standard metal nets, I don't know how long the handle is, maybe 5 ft??  Is barely long enough.

BTW, we were the only ones out there, so we had the pier all to ourselves.  a couple walked up the pier then walked back.  We saw a few cars come up and looks but most turned back around... a couple of pickups stopped by the point and the guys got out and were fishing.

This is one friendly sleepy little town from what I saw...  When I drove by folks, they all seemed to wave..

After crabbing, we went over to Chinco and had dinner at the Crab Shack...  Food was ok, but the service is super slow...  

Oh, I did see a stop where we might try crabbing.  Just before Saxis, there was a sign for fishing/kayak.  We drove down and it looked might a tiny beach area.. I'm thinking next time, we might try and get there during low tide and see if we can get any clams...
We all got a BOLO that there was a vehicle in town with MD plates.  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home