November 16, 2018, 08:03:40 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trap Mystery  (Read 1519 times)
Terrapin T
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2016, 08:47:08 PM »

This is a true story that happened on my last trip and I can't explain it.  I went crabbing with 28 traps and came home with 29 and they were all mine.  I bought 30 topless from Capt Bruce a few years ago.  Right after I started using them I lost one on The Wye across from the mouth of Lloyd's Creek.  Apparently it slipped off a ledge and sank. Came home from that trip with 29.  Two years ago I lost another one on the Wye not far from Schnaitman's.  I had moved the traps a lot and I guess lost track of one.  I searched all over and could not find it.  I was down to 28.  This last trip I headed out and layed the 28, not in The Wye but on Kent Island.  Even counted them again before I left since it was the first trip of the season.  Mid day we're running the traps going up the creek and I spot one of my traps clear on the other side of the creek.  Way way out of line.  No other crabbers in this area. So I say to the kids - looks like a turtle made off with one of our traps.  I run over and pull it up.  It's my trap but it looks like it got caught in somebody's prop.  Not totally mangled and unusable but pretty bent up.  I was able to get it in working order and put it back in line.  I just figured the one boat that putted up that side of the creek some how was unable to miss one of my buoys in a wide open creek, wrapped it up, and then just tossed it once they got it off their prop.  Don't know for sure.  So at the end of the day we're collecting traps and I of course counted them up.  I kept getting 29.  Thought I was stir crazy so had my son count them - 29!  I don't know how it happened but that's what happened. 

Grateful to be in The Land of Pleasant Living

"His Fadder was a Mudder"
Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 07:11:51 AM »

that's crazy.

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 07:15:05 AM »

2thumbsup  Good karma.  The universe returned one to you.  

Or... not even nature wants one of those traps...    Wink    laugh laugh laugh

23' C Hawk
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 07:41:31 AM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 02:27:28 PM »

T loses trap on the Wye.  Next low tide, somebody finds it.  Two years later, that somebody is fishing Kent Island and loses sight of it.  They give a half-hearted effort to find it because it was a "found" trap anyway.  Next day, T finds it.  Mystery solved.   Roll Eyes

Or it could have been aliens.  Shocked

Any way it happened, it's a crazy coincidence.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »

That's crazy.  See ya at the WYE.

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 06:06:14 PM »

That's crazy.  See ya at the WYE.

What would be crazy is if one of your long lost traps showed up at the Wye.  laugh laugh laugh
Crab Nebula
Lifetime Member

Erfill

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 06:44:54 AM »

Or it could have been aliens.  Shocked

Not aliens, it was Neptune/Poseidon!!! Wink Grin
shedking
Lifetime Member

Weeziana crabbing

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 06:56:38 AM »

The prodigal trap. It ran off for Rumspringa. Got drunk, smoked weed. Did a lil blow off a sooks swim fin. Realized the error of its ways. Heard you were coming back and searched you out Hoping to be welcomed back into the fold.  Grin
Anyway crazy story but glad she's back.

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 07:39:08 AM »

It could be an illegal Mexican that was swimming over, grabbed it for a snack, and dumped it when he was finished. Some swim the long way.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:47:47 AM by Wallco99 » Logged

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 07:40:54 AM »

The prodigal trap. It ran off for Rumspringa. Got drunk, smoked weed. Did a lil blow off a sooks swim fin. Realized the error of its ways. Heard you were coming back and searched you out Hoping to be welcomed back into the fold.  Grin
Anyway crazy story but glad she's back.

I think you should kill the fatted calf Natty Boh and celebrate.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
skikid00

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 11:26:51 AM »

This is one fishy story! laugh
SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »

That is some serious good luck there. Closest luck like that I ever had was finding my snapped off roller in 10ft of water. Buddy of mine was a bit of a crabbing rookie and hooked the anchor line one dark morning and away she went. He felt so bad he took a swim and managed to bump into it and she's still working like a champ today!
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 01:54:14 PM »

This is a true story that happened on my last trip and I can't explain it.  I went crabbing with 28 traps and came home with 29 and they were all mine.  I bought 30 topless from Capt Bruce a few years ago.  Right after I started using them I lost one on The Wye across from the mouth of Lloyd's Creek.  Apparently it slipped off a ledge and sank. Came home from that trip with 29.  Two years ago I lost another one on the Wye not far from Schnaitman's.  I had moved the traps a lot and I guess lost track of one.  I searched all over and could not find it.  I was down to 28.  This last trip I headed out and layed the 28, not in The Wye but on Kent Island.  Even counted them again before I left since it was the first trip of the season.  Mid day we're running the traps going up the creek and I spot one of my traps clear on the other side of the creek.  Way way out of line.  No other crabbers in this area. So I say to the kids - looks like a turtle made off with one of our traps.  I run over and pull it up.  It's my trap but it looks like it got caught in somebody's prop.  Not totally mangled and unusable but pretty bent up.  I was able to get it in working order and put it back in line.  I just figured the one boat that putted up that side of the creek some how was unable to miss one of my buoys in a wide open creek, wrapped it up, and then just tossed it once they got it off their prop.  Don't know for sure.  So at the end of the day we're collecting traps and I of course counted them up.  I kept getting 29.  Thought I was stir crazy so had my son count them - 29!  I don't know how it happened but that's what happened.  

Just playin detective....When you originally purchased the traps from Capt. Bruce, were they fully rigged with line and float?  Are the floats marked? 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:07:08 PM by Crabcruncher » Logged

Say brother....can you spare a crab...
Terrapin T
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 05:38:24 PM »

Crabcruncher:  Yes they were fully rigged with line and float.  I put my name and DNR number on all floats.  Went thru all traps after this last trip and checked for my number.  None of the traps looks like it had been under water for a long time.  Only one that looks odd is the beat up/got stuck in prop? trap

Grateful to be in The Land of Pleasant Living

"His Fadder was a Mudder"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home