February 24, 2021, 08:35:41 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: storing crabs i fridge???  (Read 4568 times)
divedeeep

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2018, 10:38:50 PM »

I've got a large 3 door commercial fridge....if I raise the temp to 55 degrees and put a bushel of crabs in there....will they service 24 hours?  Do I need to crack the door open for fresh air and circulation?  I stored crabs once before in this fridge and they nearly died by the next day, but I later learned it was too cold in there at 40 degrees and that the crabs like it a bit warmer around 55
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 06:01:33 AM »

I use a 2 door comm fridge and i have it as warm as it will go from 47 to 54 approx and i can keep crabs for about 2-3 days if they are cared for properly before the get there. I do not leave the door open or cradcked but i am in and out  for customer pick ups. They go over nite with out the door being opened and no problem.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 04:35:45 AM »

The secret of keeping crabs alive under refrigeration is keeping the cold air from blowing on them and killing them by drying them out. It's like killing them in a dry dessert . That is what kills them more than the temperature shocking them from being too cold . The best walk in boxes for crabs were the old time milk trucks. These trucks had cold plates in them. This system was also used in old time ice cream trucks, but a colder unit was used. They were the reverse of a radiator. They were I think made of lead and filled with salt water, then could be hung on the sides or top of the truck body for cold air dissipation. The refrigeration system froze the salt water over night, then unplugged for deliveries the next day. They are very heavy .I have a commercial crabber friend that has a commercial walkin box with cold plates mounted in the ceiling that drips condensated water from the cold plates on and around the crabs and that also helps keep the walkin humid . He gets a very low death rate . I also had them installed in my refrigerated trucks years ago for that same reason. They pay for them selves in no time by lowering your death rate . You can keep crabs stored like this from 3-5 days and still make money. You will still get a death rate but much lower than by using the traditional blower type refrigeration units. Most steamed crab houses presteam their crabs now . At the price of crabs today, it is necessary if they can't sell them fast enough. You can tell the difference between a fresh steamed crab and a presteamed crab. Fresh steamed taste much better. If you have to presteam your crabs for a later on 2-3 day crab feast, steam your crabs without seasoning , then store them in your refrigerator in a closed container so they wont dry out . Then , resteam them just long enough to heat them up with seasoning just like you normally would. BTW I have 2 of the regular grocery size 15 qt. porcelain stemer pots that I use to steam 4 dz. large crabs. I eat and pick what I want and then put the pots with the lids on in the refrigerator up to 4 days and eat them cold or microwave them with a cover on not to dry them out 3 at a time for 2-3 minutes and they are still moist and taste good. You can also make a steamed crab mount from a steamed crab by placing it on a piece of cardboard and clothes pinning it in the position you like and repeatedly microwaving the crab in short durations of about 30 sec. until all the moisture is out of it then sitting it out to dry a few days and shellacking it. If you mic them longer the shells will crack open during the process. It wont look the same as a professionally mounted , live looking blue crab but it doesn't cost anything either . I think I over answered the question.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:48:39 AM by Neither Crab » Logged
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 06:03:34 AM »

Over answering is better than no answer at all.  Good info.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
shedhunta

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 09:09:00 AM »

I wrap entire basket in a big wet towel and put in my commercial 2 door at 53 degrees.  Low
Death rate

rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 03:37:08 PM »

i find its harder to keep big crabs more then a day # 2s keep bettermaybe 3 4 days
rockyoutdoors

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »

A Dr. who is a crabber told my friend that it is ok to clean the crabs, and then store them in the fridge for up to two days. I tried it and it worked for me. I love fall crabbing when the temps are cool and I can leave a bushel in the garage without worrying about loss.
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 08:07:37 PM »

A Dr. who is a crabber told my friend that it is ok to clean the crabs, and then store them in the fridge for up to two days. I tried it and it worked for me. I love fall crabbing when the temps are cool and I can leave a bushel in the garage without worrying about loss.

I know that guy, His name is Doctor Mushy McCrabs.
You don't even have to pick the meat out,...Just squeeze the shells and the meat comes out like toothpaste. laugh

Seriously, you have to cook the crabs as soon as possible after cleaning them, because of the rapid breakdown in composition.

Say brother....can you spare a crab...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home