February 22, 2018, 05:26:56 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabs out of water  (Read 2304 times)
#1 JIMMY

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2003, 12:53:27 PM »

How long can crabs live out of water? Iwent crabbing last Monday morning (Columbus Day). While removing fallen leaves from the floor area of the boat this Saturday, there were two very lively crabs there. They must have escaped from the bushel while I was crabbing. So they were out of water for 5 days. These crabs were as lively as one right out of the water. Ate those big guys that night during the World Series. They tasted as good as ones caught and eaten on the same day.
Crabbyboy

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 01:44:24 PM »

Ya never know...if there was enough moisture in the air from the leaves the crabs will breath it in and if they were under them it must have been shady and cool enough.  I guess it just depends on what the condtions are, if ya have a bushel full of crabs in the sun they're not going to last as long as half bushel in the shade.   Never gunna  figuer them out  Roll Eyes  
Darrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 08:11:37 PM »

;DOn two occasions this year I had crabs escape and hide in the cable tunnel under the floor in my Boston Whaler to be found two days later alive and well. In mid summer they may die like that after a day.As a rule if crabs are caught and kept cool in summer they will last till the next day. Refridgerated three days. Crabs kept out in the heat will start to die after 4 5 hours. The really big huge Wye crabs that are old die fast out of water in hot weather. Once crabs are caught dont put them back into any water it will overload them as they have got adapted to air if they have been out of water for any time. Don't subject them to rapid changes of temp. like putting ice all over them after being in heat for a while out of water.If you want to keep fresh caught crabs till the next day in summer, keep them covered after catching..Dont stay out all day get back to a cooler place after 6 hours or so.Then keep them cool in a place about 45-50F not too cold or hot.(45-50 is a warm refridgerator) Remember commercials catch may not sell till the next day but they start real early and end the day early too and there catch is put up in coolers at the docks and transported in cooler trucks to market.
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 08:23:06 PM »

Darrell, I bring and old towel and soak it and lay it on top of the crabs and resoak it to keep them damp and cool and do everything I can to keep them out of the sun. Then the live ones I bring back get a nice shadey spot and enjot the air conditioning for the ride home. It's worked. I havn't lost one in three years.

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home