July 07, 2022, 02:52:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Titusville/Misquito Lagoon  (Read 10274 times)
fla chicken necker
In Memoriam 08/2013

Love those Jimmy's

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2006, 10:25:56 AM »

Went over to the space coast yesterday and caught this mess of crabs.  We caught them all in less that three hours. It was an amazing day! A good time was had by all.

Al

HATE THE HAWK---NOT THE HAWK'ER!
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 10:31:42 AM »

Great report AL!!  Cool   

bjk

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 11:24:42 AM »

Wow.  Nice day.  How are you catching them.  Pots,  ring nets, or netting them off the flats?  Can you give any advice.  I have tried ring nets off of the Max Brewer bridge and gotten very few.
Maryland Crab

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 08:38:15 PM »

Holly Sh_t man, i gotta make the drive over there. Shocked
Nice catch...
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 08:52:06 AM »

Nice job, throw them ladies back. Wink Cool Cool

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 05:17:08 PM »

Nice job, throw them ladies back. Wink Cool Cool
Y'all leave him alone.....we have way to many females down here, they starve to death in the winter time, if you really want to care about the crabs then throw the big breeding stock back, now that makes sense.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 06:19:04 PM »

Y'all leave him alone.....we have way to many females down here, they starve to death in the winter time, if you really want to care about the crabs then throw the big breeding stock back, now that makes sense.

RD it is a helpless cause trying to explain the concept that the crab population is sperm-limited and not egg-limited on this board.  ive jumped up and down with stacks of scientific papers and all, but i guess raw assumptions will prevail over years of careful scientific data. 

crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 08:41:53 PM »

Nice report Al . Great pix too . Enjoy them crabs and keep them reports coming ..................

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 10:42:02 PM »

Nice catch! Enjoy! Wink

Retired in paradise!
Maryland Crab

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 10:42:42 PM »

I see red claws.... Huh

No need to worry there are so many more females it seems than males.
Everytime i go over to the gulf i bet the female to male catch ratio is 3-1.

Good eating there,makes me wanna get back out there think i feel a sick day comming on. Cool

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 10:47:29 PM »

Anybody without a collage education knows that in any species if you take out all the big strong males that have learned to survive and don't let them breed, the species will decline in it's ability to survive and in size. It would be like letting "W" be the father of all the next Generation of Americans

- John Wayne
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 06:18:43 AM »

Went over to the space coast yesterday and caught this mess of crabs.  We caught them all in less that three hours. It was an amazing day! A good time was had by all.

Al

Hey Al....and ya caught em in a wheelbarrow huh?.... Grin Grin never tried catchin MUMBOS in one of them  Grin Grin where do ya puts da bait?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 07:49:26 AM »

RD it is a helpless cause trying to explain the concept that the crab population is sperm-limited and not egg-limited on this board.  ive jumped up and down with stacks of scientific papers and all, but i guess raw assumptions will prevail over years of careful scientific data. 

We have been throwing Procrabber back for almost 2 years now!  And he keeps crawling back up and in the basket!   Grin

Al, nice catch!
DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 08:19:15 PM »

RD -

"It would be like letting "W" be the father of all the next Generation of Americans"  Great analogy!  Next time I'm over your way I'll buy you a cool one of your choice!

Mike

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 09:24:59 PM »

Hey Al....and ya caught em in a wheelbarrow huh?.... Grin Grin never tried catchin MUMBOS in one of them  Grin Grin where do ya puts da bait?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Maybe you should try it and change your luck, wear a hard hat and maybe the birds will think you are a construction worker and leave you alone. laugh laugh

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 09:30:05 PM »

Maybe you should try it and change your luck, wear a hard hat and maybe the birds will think you are a construction worker and leave you alone. laugh laugh
Grin Grin ;Di predict that king crapper will catch just as many using a wheel barrow and a brick for bait, as he always does laugh laugh      NOW I know where i seen KC before.................hard hat ...construction worker.......sings Y.M.C.A. Roll Eyes laugh laugh laugh laugh
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 09:55:05 PM by R D » Logged

- John Wayne
Gregacy

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 02:43:25 PM »

So where exactly did you drop the wheelburrow to get those crabs? Any spot you suggest?

Share the wealth brother!

Did you hook a trot line to your burrow to pull it out? I have the WB with the 2 front wheels so it won't tip easy. Maybe I will catch more crabs that way.
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 10:53:03 PM »

NICE . enjoy.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
fla chicken necker
In Memoriam 08/2013

Love those Jimmy's

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 07:19:35 PM »

So where exactly did you drop the wheelburrow to get those crabs? Any spot you suggest?

Share the wealth brother!

Did you hook a trot line to your burrow to pull it out? I have the WB with the 2 front wheels so it won't tip easy. Maybe I will catch more crabs that way.

THE LOCATION

My crabbing mate swore me to secrecy as far as to the exact location of this honey hole, but I'll get you in the neighborhood. It's a section of marsh land just north of the Kennedy Space Center between St. Rd. 3 and Mosquito Lagoon. I was as close to the boundary of the Space Center property as the law will allow, post September the 11 th. Launch complex 39, pads A and B were easily within site, no shuttles were on the pads though. Beware of gator's if you venture over there, the area is loaded with em'.

THE TECHNIQUE

No trot lines involved. I just tie a rope to the bumper of my Chevy Vega and snatched the wheelbarrow out of the water before the crabs know what's hit em' That's not the hard part, securing the bait to the bottom of the wheelbarrow was the real challenge, that Spam is tough to work with, you know. I've got it figured out now though. But for patten reasons I'd better not go there. I'm sure you understand.

Happy Crabbing

Al

P.S.  I can't find a law on the books limiting the number of wheelbarrows one is allowed to crab in Florida waters. SWEET!

HATE THE HAWK---NOT THE HAWK'ER!
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 07:35:58 PM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes ::)Thats your story and you are sticking to it Wink Wink laugh laugh

- John Wayne

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home