October 19, 2018, 04:17:00 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wareham water quality  (Read 3022 times)
Travis McGee

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:52:35 PM »

The Buzzards Bay Coalition gives the inner waterways of Wareham/Marion a very poor ranking.  I saw one sign for the Weweantic River giving it a ranking of 28 out of 100.  Yikes!  Is consuming sea-life from waters high in nitrogen a bad thing?  Poor quality water filtering through the crab daily, I'm not sure, but it sure don't sound healthy.

With that being said, had a great day on the water.  We went with 4 sided traps, they worked awesome during low and slack tide.  Current of incoming tide made things a little trickier and the crabbing slowed so we called it a day.  We were excited for a crab fest, but opted for the catch and release method after reading about water conditions. 

I'm sure that I'll be informed that the water quality has no effect on the meat of the crab, and that may be the case, but for now I'll pass.

Essex, Cape Cod, here we come!
caledonn65

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:08:49 PM »

The Buzzards Bay Coalition gives the inner waterways of Wareham/Marion a very poor ranking.  I saw one sign for the Weweantic River giving it a ranking of 28 out of 100.  Yikes!  Is consuming sea-life from waters high in nitrogen a bad thing?  Poor quality water filtering through the crab daily, I'm not sure, but it sure don't sound healthy.

With that being said, had a great day on the water.  We went with 4 sided traps, they worked awesome during low and slack tide.  Current of incoming tide made things a little trickier and the crabbing slowed so we called it a day.  We were excited for a crab fest, but opted for the catch and release method after reading about water conditions. 

I'm sure that I'll be informed that the water quality has no effect on the meat of the crab, and that may be the case, but for now I'll pass.

Essex, Cape Cod, here we come!

Plenty of crabs down here!
Travis McGee

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 03:03:02 AM »

C'mon Wareham crabbers, respond!!!!!
skikid00

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »

I was there over the weekend, all the crabs died of pollution of some sort.  The season's over in Wareham.  Time to look for a cleaner spot.
luv jerzeeblues
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »

Travis, nice forum handle. I'm a big fan. How are things down in Lauderdale?  Grin

Craw

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 10:43:47 AM »

Consider the source of these water quality rankings.  The Buzzards Bay Coalition relies on donations to survive.  The more dire they can portray the water quality situation, the more likely it is that people will donate.  For example, how can the water quality in the Weweantic River not improve AT ALL after sewers were installed in 2008?  That's simply counterintuitive.  The nitrogen and pathogen loads necessarily decreased when you take all of more than 200 cesspools out of the equation.  The Buzzards Bay Coalition scores never improved.  Suspicious.

Also, the scoring system that the Coalition uses is flawed.  The same water quality standards are used for deeper, open water and for brackish, shallower upstream locations.  Numerous factors such as salinity and water temperatures vary from downstream to upstream in the Weweantic.   Therefore, the scores that you see posted for the upstream crabbing locations are likely inaccurate.

Finally, the Coalition scoring grades the overall water quality of the waterbody not the pollution content of the water.  The nitrogen level in the water affects where crabs will live not whether their meat is safe to eat.  These "scores" do not measure levels of heavy metals or carcinogens. Therefore, these scores are useless to assess the quality of the crab meat.   Eat the crabs.  They're fine.
Kaninekleenup
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 08:35:24 AM »

My obituary will say.. "He died of crabmeat poisoning at the age of 92"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home