August 15, 2018, 10:41:12 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hepatopancreas  (Read 994 times)
Neither Crab

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2016, 06:58:21 AM »

This is from the Maryland MDE. Crabs, in some areas of the Chesapeake Bay . I have noticed that dirty, black topped crabs from the Chesapeake sometimes have a chemical flavor in the mustard. I now clean steamed crabs of all mustard. I know people that have eaten the mustard from these crabs all their lives without any problems. Some chemicals that have been found in the Hepatopancreas of crabs are. Arsenic, mercury, pcb's, and chlordane. Scroll down to  Crab Monitoring  www.mde.state.md.us/programs/Marylander/CitizensinfoCenterHome/Pages/citizensinfocenter/fishandshellfish/index.aspx
ejohns10

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:33:09 PM »

This is from the Maryland MDE. Crabs, in some areas of the Chesapeake Bay . I have noticed that dirty, black topped crabs from the Chesapeake sometimes have a chemical flavor in the mustard. I now clean steamed crabs of all mustard. I know people that have eaten the mustard from these crabs all their lives without any problems. Some chemicals that have been found in the Hepatopancreas of crabs are. Arsenic, mercury, pcb's, and chlordane. Scroll down to  Crab Monitoring  www.mde.state.md.us/programs/Marylander/CitizensinfoCenterHome/Pages/citizensinfocenter/fishandshellfish/index.aspx

You are eating the organ that filters out all he toxins for the crab. I would assume it could have PCB's and other nasty stuff in it depending on where it is living and what the enviroment around it is filled with. I don't clean them first, but I try not to eat the mustard for that reason.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 06:40:13 AM »

When I say clean them I mean I remove the mustard from the open cavity area after they are steamed. I loved the mustard from the hepatopancreas but am reluctant to consume it anymore . Who knows if a crab from polluted waters that has toxic chemicals in it hasn't swam to another tidal river? That's why I am very skeptic of black backed crabs that may have swam in from sludge bottomed  polluted waters discharged there from industry , cargo ships,heavy storm water runoff from roads, farms etc.. There was a good short story in the book "Bay Country" by Tom Horton, about crabs in the Patapsco. Years ago, he was up in Curtis Bay with Green Peace protesting a toxic discharge . It was predawn on a summer morning when he was in his watercraft in Curtis Bay and heard some boys talking on the shore. He heard  one boy say, that's a nice one, we'll eat him for breakfast. Tom Horton looked over at the boys, shining a flash light and saw they were holding up a nice soft crab. He then looked at the water and saw that it was all different colors of the rainbow from the discharged chemicals .The white meat is said to be safe from toxins even from polluted waters and it has no strange  chemical taste to me even from the black topped crabs.  I'm referring to the ones that look like they were dipped in black oil . You can scrape the  black substance off the top of their shells with a knife or your fingernail. I eat crabs several times a week during crab season and have no intentions of quitting . I'm just not a mustard eater anymore.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:42:26 AM by Neither Crab » Logged
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 07:32:28 AM »

Everybody wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die. My father used to crab under the Hanover st bridge in S Balt., he then moved his family to Riveria Beach md where we have lived since 1966. Crabs and seafood , white perch rockfish and channel cats were always a staple in our meals, we have taken from the Patapsco all our lives. 4 years ago dad passed to the next world followed by mom 2 years later. Dad worked at Beth. Steel all his life that i can remember. Dad died at 84 years young from of all things,  dehyration he never had any major health issues that was not normal age related. mom passed to see dad at 80 years and had some serious heart issues at 75 but a bypass and a pig valve did the trick until she devoloped lung cancer caused by of all things exposure to asbetos from dad work cloths. Just sayin enjoy life you just never know.
shedhunta

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »

Just recently i converted to CBC.  Learning to really like it and I also feel that the crabs last longer in my fridge.  With a 4 year old finding time to eat them is always a problem so the longer they last the better.  Also less chemical exposure the better!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home