April 24, 2018, 01:11:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Galveston - 10-1 10-2-2016  (Read 1723 times)
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:28:46 PM »

Last Thursday I put my traps out in what we thought was a little used bayou off of canal where we ran our trotline last week.  On Saturday, BJFish and I returned to spot to try our luck with our trotline.  This week, the weather was great, no threatening lightning.

We laid our two lines out with one crossing the intersection of the canal and the bayou.  We then put out eight ring nets.  There was a strong moving outgoing current.

On our first run we landed 14 keepers from the lines and two more from the nets.  We had hoped to catch a few in the intersection of the canal and bayou, but did not catch but one or two there all day.

We then went to run my traps and got the only disappointment of the weekend.  The first trap was laying on its side and, of course, had no crabs.  I was pretty sure that is not the way I left it and thought a boat may have snagged the line and flipped it.  We then moved to the next trap and found it about 20 feet from the third trap, no way would I have laid two traps so close.  When we pulled it up, I found that the door was latched to the trap itself and not to the biodegradable wire that I hooked it too. It did have one crab.  The third trap was upside down and the forth had the door open.  Apparently, there was more traffic in the bayou than I thought and it included at least one thief. We did end up with four crabs.       

We ended up running the line four more times and ended the day with just under a bushel.  By the last run the tide had slowed and so had the crabs. We got a half a dozen in the nets and ran the traps one more time before we left, ending up with just under a dozen in the traps for the day.  In the last few feet of my last run I netted a crab that would not let go of the bait.  I ended up pulling the net, him, and the line up, knocking the line off of the prop stick. Live and learn.

As we pulled back up at the boat launch, BJFish saw a mumbo feasting on a fish next to the dock.  He scooped him up and added him to the basket.

The photos below are from our first three runs and the final catch for the day.

On Sunday, I returned to retrieve my traps.  Apparently, the word must have gotten out that the fish were biting in the area.  In the canal where we ran out lines on Saturday there were eleven boats, 5 powerboats, 4 kayaks, a canoe, and one fisherman on a paddle board.  The bayou I ran my traps in had one more powerboat, one more canoe, and five kayaks.  I worked my way through the maze of boats to retrieve my traps and another dozen and a half crabs.  They would have more than filled out the rest of the bushel.

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »

WTG guys.  The more you run the more proficient you'll get. 

Fish are biting here also.  My son and I went last Sunday and limited out (50 specs).  Thursday didn't do so good with the NNW wind but still caught 15 specs and 2 redfish.  Today my son and I went back and caught our limit (50 specs) again.  Surgery is on Thursday so I don't know when I'll be back on the water.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 07:32:49 PM »

Ronnie
  We are getting better making less mistakes and when we do make  mistakes we are now easily overcoming them. We also found a good spot to run the lines. Mostly big dark rusty male crabs. Good Luck with the shoulder.

Brian
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 07:51:36 PM »

Thanks Brian. 
When you lay your lines anticipate what problems there might be.  Wind, tide, sun
Remember when the crab holds onto the chicken he will be facing the up side of the tide.  I always run my line against the tide.  You'll see what I mean.  When laying your line everything comes into play.  The more you lay the lines the better you'll get.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 08:39:45 PM »

Here are Sunday's photos.  I threw in my granddaughter in the box because, just because.  Well, she did eat the crabs.

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.

discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 08:58:49 PM »

Nice report and pictures Craig. Looks like some beautiful crabbing grounds there.
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 07:24:55 AM »

Nice detailed report and photos. Sorry to see the problem with crab thieves still exist. Great to see you caught a bushel of crabs too.

Thanks for sharing your report and photos.

Standup Paddleboard: SUP Sports Hammer: Length 8' 11". Width: 31". Thickness: 4". Volume: 140 Liters. Weight: 17#.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 01:38:14 PM »

Thanks for the report , nice catch and pic's

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 02:22:38 PM »

Great work, guys. 

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home