May 31, 2020, 07:47:33 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steaming crab recipes??  (Read 4954 times)
divedeeep

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2016, 10:07:28 PM »

Interested to know what some of your favorite steaming crab recipes are?  What goes in the water for the best taste, flavor etc??  What is the length of time to steam them?  Does the time vary the more crabs are in the pot? Slow steam or high steam?  I've got a huge 100 qt. pot that can steam an entire bushel all at once.....my wife uses water with apple cider vinegar for about 23 minutes on a high steam.  Any advice would be appreciated...thanks!
anchor
Lifetime Member

stop being a lurker and make a donation

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 07:12:51 AM »

i clean before i cook, very high steam 8-12 minutes and they are done. i use apple cider vinegar, beer, water and a ton of J.O. OR my old stand by....wye river red seasoning.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 07:49:33 AM »

yea your recipe looks fine just add a strong lager beer to that and if will be better, i use yingling. A ful bu i steam 30 min after it reaches fullhigh steam. I do turn it down just a bit once it reaches full steam.
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:47:21 AM »

i clean before i cook, very high steam 8-12 minutes and they are done. i use apple cider vinegar, beer, water and a ton of J.O. OR my old stand by....wye river red seasoning.
No way 12 minutes is long enough.
divedeeep

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »

Curious to know what does the vinegar and beer do to the crabs?  Why is that better then just plain water?

talltail
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 11:45:17 AM »

I use Sprite, Beer, and water for 23min. Sometimes I add sugar to the water

Never confuse intelligence with common sense.

The toes you step on today may be attached to the foot in your arse tomorrow.
divedeeep

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 12:13:06 PM »

yea your recipe looks fine just add a strong lager beer to that and if will be better, i use yingling. A ful bu i steam 30 min after it reaches fullhigh steam. I do turn it down just a bit once it reaches full steam.

How much beer to water should I add?
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »

just enough beer or water to steam... mixed in with old bay.. the time varies depending on how many crabs are in the pot.  FYI.. never clean the crabs first.  You want to steam it with the shell on so all the flavor stays in.  For those who are against this method, try it side by side.. you will see. 

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 12:20:44 PM »

just enough beer or water to steam... mixed in with old bay.. the time varies depending on how many crabs are in the pot.  FYI.. never clean the crabs first.  You want to steam it with the shell on so all the flavor stays in.  For those who are against this method, try it side by side.. you will see. 

kind of depends on what flavor your going for, right?  Guts and seasoning or just seasoning.

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 01:00:52 PM »

it think the beer improves the flavor but not sure how, i do know with beer mixed in it smells really good while steaming.

Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 03:49:48 PM »

Correction: ALWAYS clean the crabs first. The above info about "flavor" is erroneous. Much better flavor pre-cleaned, and no lousy [arse] guts mess to deal with. People don't cook crabs with guts in them because they taste better, they do it because they don't want to spend the time to do it right, and many people just don't know any better.
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 07:38:12 AM »

Correction: ALWAYS clean the crabs first. The above info about "flavor" is erroneous. Much better flavor pre-cleaned, and no lousy [arse] guts mess to deal with. People don't cook crabs with guts in them because they taste better, they do it because they don't want to spend the time to do it right, and many people just don't know any better.
'Scuse, please. Gotta run out and replenish my supply of popcorn  argue
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 05:53:23 PM »

To all you crabbers out there who clean your crabs before cooking and eating them, congratulations.

To all you crabbers out there that steam your crabs before eating them, congratulations.

To all you crabbers out there who boil, yes I said BOIL, your crabs before eating them congratulations.

To all you crabbers out there who do not cook your crabs before eating them, well... you are a better person then I am. For those of you that have tried this method, can you please share your experience with us?

Thanks to everyone for sharing your crab cooking recipes and methods. I personally just enjoy eating cooked crabs no matter how they are cooked.  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 06:23:54 PM »

Well put. I stand with tail between legs.
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 11:52:40 AM »

I used to clean the crabs before steaming them many years ago. I didn't know what I was missing until somebody told me to steam with the shells on, have them cook  in their natural juices. I swear to god it was like night and day in comparison. The crabs they were clean first tasted slightly water down compared to  The ones that were steamed with the shells on. I know this is all about preference but until you try them both side-by-side, you will know exactly what I'm talking about

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 01:36:35 PM »

Thanks to everyone for sharing your crab cooking recipes and methods. I personally just enjoy eating cooked crabs no matter how they are cooked.  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

X2 thumbsup

Retired in paradise!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home