December 05, 2019, 10:23:53 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ring traps  (Read 1437 times)
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2006, 07:24:10 PM »

Crabbing in Jersey, we usually use the rope ring traps from a dock or boat.  This year I'm hoping to adopt the MD way by leaving a trap every so many yards on a float.  I do need to buy more traps but am wondering...should I be ok with using the "2 ring" traps or should I move to boxes?  I like the rings but don't know how well they will work with this method of crabbing.  Will be doing mostly NJ crabbing but will also hit DE and MD (I hope) this year.

Crab on!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 07:29:26 PM »

I use mostley box thrps, but do use some ring traps. I do ok with them. I wse the wire ones, easy to get the crab out. also I have small flotes on the string, right where the three attach together. this keeps the string away from the trap when it is on the bottom, less chance of scaring the crab away when pulling it.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 06:24:59 AM »

I keep going back and forth........

How about storage, do they go down as flat as ring traps do?

Crab on!
Crabby Tag

Crabber Geting better ;-]

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 04:21:41 PM »

You have to go topless…  Roll Eyes
I have used rings, boxes that collapse, and boxes that don’t.  But I have had the best success with topless traps.  You can stack 10 traps on top of each other and they only take up about 3’X2’X2’.  I buy Foxy Mates but I am sure there are other brand names or if you buy one you could probably build the rest yourself.  Hope this helps.

Tag
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 04:52:33 PM »

You have to go topless…  Roll Eyes
I have used rings, boxes that collapse, and boxes that don’t.  But I have had the best success with topless traps.  You can stack 10 traps on top of each other and they only take up about 3’X2’X2’.  I buy Foxy Mates but I am sure there are other brand names or if you buy one you could probably build the rest yourself.  Hope this helps.

Tag

They still work ok off the side of a pier or road?

Crab on!

tedbo

Raised in Johnson's Ditch 39.248045,-75.131587

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 04:57:37 PM »

For cost, ease of use, and storage, it’s hard to beat the ring trap.  The cotton model is a little on the light side but lays flatter than the monel wire model.

Topless are ok, but cost more and again, whenever there are moving parts, there’s the possibility of problems and maintence.  Remember – KISS

12 years ago I made my own ring traps out of ¼” ss tubing large ring, and 3/8” ss small ring with lead solder inside for weight.  The netting is black nylon and over the last 2 years they have begun to get frayed.  I’ve priced new nylon, but decided on just using the cotton replacement nets on my framework. 

I would suggest that you replace large ring with heavier wire, as well as the three leaders with 5/32 min nylon line of about 15’ in length.

You can use the pool floats called “noodles” cut in 16” lengths for floats.  Use a piece of the original wire rings to thread the line up through the center and secure it with a stainless ¼” fender washer.

As for placement, place them every 20 yards or so along the side of the streams, if you drop about 20, by the time you place the last it will be time to start picking them up.  Always go against the current when pulling traps, this gives you slack as you come over the trap.   Good Luck, Tedbo
For

I feel sorry for the man who doesn't drink.  When he gets up in the morning that's the best he's gonna feel all day! LBJ
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 09:19:58 PM »

Tedbo-

Thanks for the tips.  I'm definately a KISS (and cheap) kind of guy.  Against the current is a great tip.  And using rings but "upgrading" them sounds like it may be the way to go for me.  Maybe I'll do a few topless and a few rings.  Best of both worlds

Crab on!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 10:02:11 PM »

Whatever you decide GOOD LUCK.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print