November 13, 2019, 03:54:58 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next trip Friday May 26th...  (Read 1536 times)
mike2u

New London Pa.. My kids call me Mr. Krabs...

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2006, 09:01:05 PM »

Well not sure if I got the repairs to the self draining plugs on ' The Tub ' done right. I used 3m 5200 and a little longer screws to hold them in, but won't know if it leaks until I get it back into the water.. So Firday will be the test... If it leaks I'm  bringing the 5200 tube with me... Anyway,, looks like the weather is starting to really heat up and like I said each week is going to be getting better... If everything works out well with ' The Tub ' at the launch I'll be heading out to my spot I was last week and hopefully it picks up.. If it's still a little slow,, then I'll definetly head out towards the mouth for a few.. 
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 10:03:19 PM »

GOOD luck , hope your repairs work well for you.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crabbeer

Kwicherbichen and have fun, go crabbin!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 05:00:32 AM »

Good luck to you Mike,  I'll probably be out Saturday morning with a couple first time crabbers (bro in law and his son)... Hopefully I won't get them off on the wrong foot.  I'll probably launch at Crab Alley and hit the mouth of the Wye.

Support our troops, make their home worthy of them.
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 05:05:08 AM »

Good luck to you all . They gotta pick up soon .................. Wink

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 07:15:29 AM »

Good Luck Mike...Hope you nail them.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

mike2u

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 11:22:32 AM »

Well it looks like the 5200 epoxy worked on the self bailer holes, and I think ' The Tub ' shouldn't leak,, Well pretty sure it worked.. Now I discovered another problem.. Went out to buy paint for it and of course just my luck the topside boat paint for the floor ' chesapeake green 55 '  has been discontinued. So i got a color called ' Dusk Grey' which is pretty close to it.. The bottom paint was green and yes just my luck it's been discontinued too.. So now ' The Tub ' will be red again.. Here's the bigger problem.. while I was doing some scrapping and sanding I found several spots where the fiberglass got moisture under it and it has started to come off the wood.. UUUUUUUMMMMMM all on the the right side... Must have been a Trotliner that had this boat.. So I'm not sure if ' The Tub ' will make it to the Wye on Friday.. I'm going out later today and buying some marine tex epoxy to repair them.. They are not huge,, but want to take care of them now.. If I get the stuff today I might have enough time to get it all done before Friday..
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 11:32:12 AM »

Sounds like you have some work to do Mike . Hope you get it done without any more problems . Good luck and hope to see you and the "Tub" out there soon ........................

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 11:58:12 AM »

Well it looks like the 5200 epoxy worked on the self bailer holes, and I think ' The Tub ' shouldn't leak,, Well pretty sure it worked.. Now I discovered another problem.. Went out to buy paint for it and of course just my luck the topside boat paint for the floor ' chesapeake green 55 '  has been discontinued. So i got a color called ' Dusk Grey' which is pretty close to it.. The bottom paint was green and yes just my luck it's been discontinued too.. So now ' The Tub ' will be red again.. Here's the bigger problem.. while I was doing some scrapping and sanding I found several spots where the fiberglass got moisture under it and it has started to come off the wood.. UUUUUUUMMMMMM all on the the right side... Must have been a Trotliner that had this boat.. So I'm not sure if ' The Tub ' will make it to the Wye on Friday.. I'm going out later today and buying some marine tex epoxy to repair them.. They are not huge,, but want to take care of them now.. If I get the stuff today I might have enough time to get it all done before Friday..

Its a relic, what did you expect? laugh  Not sure what happened to the bailer holes, they worked for me for 6 years.  Don't scrap too hard on the bottom, you'll tear through the west system.... just lightly sand, if anything, and re-paint.  I would just re-West the spots on the bottom.... don't start mixing fixes.

Wooden boats are like dogs and babies... they require constant care. Smiley

Maybe you're talking about the hull.... if so, its not fiberglass, just a few coats of white paint over the plywood.  And yes, paint was starting to crack in some areas.  Sand it down and fair the spots back up with marine tex or other fairing compound.

Don't let her die! Sad Sad laugh
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 12:03:53 PM by Seaweed » Logged

Git 'r dun!
mike2u

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 01:26:46 PM »

Sorry no lemon hear ' ST ' she's a solid boat,, Believe me Seaweed knows how to take care of boats.. It's just mine now and I'm sure he would have found what I did and addressed it before more problems arise.    ' Seaweed laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh,, don't worry my friend she be as good as new.. The problem spots are on the right side just above the water line.. Water must have gotten into it and just a little scrapping it,, it all start to come off.. It's really not too bad,, just a learning experience for me.. I think I might have her ready to go for Friday..

Oh yea,, I did cut the transom about 1 1/4 inch to see if that helps the cavitation.. Thought that would be the best place to start since it would be easier to fix if it doesn't help.. I think that was the ticket though.. The Cavitation plate is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the skeg..
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 01:30:40 PM by mike2u » Logged
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 04:02:44 PM »

Sorry no lemon hear ' ST ' she's a solid boat,, Believe me Seaweed knows how to take care of boats.. It's just mine now and I'm sure he would have found what I did and addressed it before more problems arise.    ' Seaweed laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh,, don't worry my friend she be as good as new.. The problem spots are on the right side just above the water line.. Water must have gotten into it and just a little scrapping it,, it all start to come off.. It's really not too bad,, just a learning experience for me.. I think I might have her ready to go for Friday..

Oh yea,, I did cut the transom about 1 1/4 inch to see if that helps the cavitation.. Thought that would be the best place to start since it would be easier to fix if it doesn't help.. I think that was the ticket though.. The Cavitation plate is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the skeg..

Ah yes, I know what your talking about now.  I would just sand it down and re-West over it to seal up the edge.  That spot has been there a long time and never gave me any trouble.  Close to the interior patch I epoxied in, I think, as extra protection.  The working side of the boat always takes [Sam Hill], as you can see!  Good luck!

Git 'r dun!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home