August 16, 2018, 07:44:47 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Galveston - 10-16-2016  (Read 6574 times)
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2016, 09:56:04 PM »

BJFish and I had planned a crabbing trip on Saturday.  On Friday, I put my six traps out.  I had decided to put them near the end of an isolated dead end canal, hoping that the less traveled canal would mean nobody to mess with the traps.  The boat launch was packed with about 20 boat trailers, very unusual for a Friday.  I half expected to see several boats in the spot that we had planned to lay our line, but as I turned the corner there was not a boat in site.  There was only one fisherman floating in in the canal.  He was a big green four legged fisherman.  From the size of the head I would guess that this alligator was at least an eight footer.  I dropped the traps and when I returned there was another boater searching the water for the gator.  Seems he dove under when this guy stopped to check how he was doing on his fishing trip. Some fishermen just want to keep their catch a secret.

Saturday morning the weather was great and the boat was ready to role.  I called my brother  to give him the weather report, only to learn that he had hurt his arm when a chair he was using as step stool broke.  He said that he first thought the arm was broken, but that it was getting better.  He still wanted to go, but we were going to get a late start.  By the time he got to my house, the arm was hurting more.  A trip to the urgent care clinic took the place of the crabbing trip.  Thankfully, there was only a chipped bone and not a break, but there would be no crabbing for BJFish this week.

Since I had baited both trotlines, I decided to brave it and try a solo trip on Sunday.  I left the house at 7:30am and had the first line deployed without a hitch by 8am.  I got the second line in by 8:15am.  So far so good.  With a little apprehension concerning steering and scooping, I began to run the first line.  I got the the line started and was able to steer the boat along the line without much problem.  I got it straight on line about the time the chain hit the propstick and immediately saw a crab on the very first bait.  I grabbed my net, only to find it tangled in the antenna on the boat.  By the time I freed it the first crab was gone and a crab on he second bait was hitting the prop stick.  I missed it too.  I was able to scoop the next six crabs on the run.  I ran the second line and again there were crabs on the first two baits.  I got one and missed one.  I missed three more crabs on this line, but landed eight keepers.

I then went and ran my traps.  Apparently, the isolated area kept anyone from messing with my traps, but the crabs didn't make it that far either.  I had six blue claws and four stone crabs. 

I ran the lines three more times and ended up with a little better than a half a bushel.  Retrieving the line by myself was the hardest part.   I need a little work on steering and scooping at the same time, but all in all the trip was a success. 

I grilled a dozen crabs for supper and gave the rest to a coworker.  Grilled crabs and a Texan comeback win over the Colts.  Great day.

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:23:11 PM »

That's good stuff, Craig.  The student surpasses the teacher.   thumbsup  I still have not gotten the nerve up to try a solo trip with the trotlines, but I'm also pretty sure my boat's not set up for it.   What kind of boat were you in?

BTW, I hope Brian is feeling better.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 10:37:58 PM »

It's similar to yours, but maybe a little smaller.  A 17 foot Kenner center console with a 50hp Yamaha.

I would not have tried it if I had not already baited my lines.

I just had to steer with my left hand and scoop with my right. There was not a lot of cross current either, which helped keep the boat moving in the right direction.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:37:25 AM by CraigFos » Logged

Craig
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:03:56 AM »

Looks like the same beam as my 19'.  Maybe on a calm day I can give it a shot.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 08:26:55 AM »

Nice detailed report. Glad to see you using a new technique to catch crabs from your boat. BTW, glad to hear your brother didn't break his arm.

Thanks for the detailed report and the nice set of photos.

Standup Paddleboard: SUP Sports Hammer: Length 8' 11". Width: 31". Thickness: 4". Volume: 140 Liters. Weight: 17#.

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 09:50:23 AM »

Thanks for the report! Enjoy those crabs!

Retired in paradise!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 12:41:29 PM »

nice   catcvh, report and pic's

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
geezer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 10:11:24 PM »

Nice report. Finally some activity on the Gulf Coast thread. Thanks Craig
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:20:51 PM »

you'll learn to get everything ready before you make your run. laugh laugh

baskets, hook, net

how deep was the water?  I'll be down till HuhHuh  since I steer with my left arm I don't know when
I'll be able to get out.  the weather has been beautiful and I haven't been able to do anything.  Another 8 more days with this sling. Angry Angry

BTW Brian I hope ya get better.

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 02:14:07 PM »

I made sure everything was in line to deploy the line, but did not think about the net get tangled.  Did not make that error twice.  I did leave my basket in the front of the boat once and had to scramble to empty the net.

I'm not real sure how deep it is, no depth finder.  The canal is not very deep, the line was probably in three to five feet of water.

Have you started PT yet?

Craig

riverpop

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 11:52:00 PM »

Nice report Craig, I think you did pretty well, congrats.

riverpop (gary B.)
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 09:22:54 AM »

no pt yet.  next post op appointment is next Friday.  I'll know more then.  Right now no pain.  I can't believe how bad the tear was.  3/8 wide by 2 1/2 long.  That's not a little tear,  that's a gap. Shocked Shocked

As much as I want to start pt I have to let things heal before I start lifting weights.  The last thing I want to do is re-tear what was repaired.  Right now no pain and sleeping better at night, just wearing the sling is a big pain. Angry

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 07:42:13 AM »

Craig..nice going..and if you do it by yourself a couple times,you'll get the hang of it running solo..but,I've found its just not worth it,because crabbing,I've found,is such a "social" thing..you get some mumbos,you miss some,but there isn't anyone around to either "hoot" it up with,or laugh if you miss one..so I just forgot about running solo..just my 2 cents....rick

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home