August 18, 2018, 01:51:45 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oak Hill Culvert - 10/30/16  (Read 4658 times)
witch1031

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2016, 08:45:10 AM »

Good news!  The Oak Hill fishing dock made it through the hurricane.   

Today is my birthday and all I wanted was some blue crab so I headed over to the culvert in Oak Hill yesterday morning.  I had 5 chicken legs with me.  Arrived at high tide.

No bait fish *at all*.   Last time I was able to catch a few spots with chicken and use them to fish but yesterday nothing. 

Tossed my crab nets in and five minutes later I had one nice big male crab and a smaller one. 

And then it started.  I was pulling 3-4 crabs per net every 5 to 10 minutes for at least an hour.  I caught more females than I ever had along that spot because they are mating.  I caught at least 3 pairs of mating crabs. 

I think I ended up catching about 40-50 crabs, came home with 24 in the 5.5-7" range.  Tossed back all the females, any jimmies under 5-6" and about a dozen of the "purple" crabs I have been catching there.  I cooked one a few weeks ago and it was foul, not taking any of those.   

The chicken legs I used were getting chewed up to the bone.  And then I saw it.  A mangrove snapper about 20" long swam by with a giant hunk of chicken sticking out of its mouth.  I suspected it was fish chewing oh my bait but that's the first time I saw it with my own eyes. 

About the time they stopped biting a family of people rolled up and one man walked over & opened my cooler.  So I walked over and they were having a lively discussion in Chinese.   They offered to buy my catch!   LOL, no.  Catch your own.   Then one of the men asked me what I thought about him building a restaurant right there.  I pointed out Goodrich's (about 50 yards away) and then said I definitely didn't want anyone ruining the fishing and crabbing right there. 

Will be going back as long as the weather holds.  It was beautiful but a bit windy.  Blew my chair into the water.

Tonight there will be a feast at my house.   Grin
witch1031

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 10:48:39 AM »

Well, I am a dope. I should have researched those purple crabs a bit before throwing all of those back.  They are a different species than blue crab.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/outdoors/2009-10-18/story/purple_crab_makes_rare_appearance
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 11:02:34 AM »

Well nice job and Happy Birthday!!!!! Cheesy

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 11:22:34 AM »

WTG , happy birthday

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »

Happy Birthday! Strange crab indeed! I have never seen one.
I wonder why they would taste different?

Retired in paradise!

Edaoud
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 08:08:51 PM »

Because they are not blue  Smiley
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »

they seen your catch...........you better learn how to speak chinese.   10 yrs. or so crabs were so thick off a public pier here , 2 of us could not keep up with 6 handlines....some oriental watched for a while then started to ''volunteer''with the lines....i tried to tell them to leave them alone, but they just smiled...before long i was just a observer and they started to put the crabs in their own plastic bags.... i finally took up the lines and left...the next few days the pier looked like chinatown.......i do not know what country they were from..
witch1031

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 02:13:05 PM »

I'm told they are delicious.  I must have just had a bad one.  A friend from Brazil found out I had been throwing them back and was shocked.  They look identical to blues except for the color so I think they'd taste the same.
witch1031

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 02:13:46 PM »

they seen your catch...........you better learn how to speak chinese.   10 yrs. or so crabs were so thick off a public pier here , 2 of us could not keep up with 6 handlines....some oriental watched for a while then started to ''volunteer''with the lines....i tried to tell them to leave them alone, but they just smiled...before long i was just a observer and they started to put the crabs in their own plastic bags.... i finally took up the lines and left...the next few days the pier looked like chinatown.......i do not know what country they were from..

I am familiar.  If I ever find out what restaurant the woman who crabs in NSB owns I am reporting her to the health department.  One day...
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »

I've watched them at the NSB docks and they keep every crab they catch! Even three inch crabs!

Retired in paradise!

witch1031

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 09:20:18 AM »

Just a follow up on the purple Brazilian swimming crabs.

I had the pleasure of chaperoning a field trip for my 14 year old twins Biology class yesterday.   This is part of the Volusia County IBIS (Investigating Biomes in Science) program.  I showed the volunteers the photos of those purple crabs and they all paid attention.   The woman who runs the program for the county said they had no idea those crabs were here and they are reporting it to FWC and someone at UF who studies invasive species. 

Then they told me about another crab that has started to appear in the Rose Bay area of Spruce Creek.   They are large orange crabs that resemble a stone crab.   

The consensus is if the crab is invasive and edible we need to catch and eat them all.   I'm game!   laugh
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 11:14:22 AM »

I had not heard about the orange Stone Crabs at Rose Bay. I'll keep my eye out for them!

Are you .going back to Goodriches culvert this Sunday?

Retired in paradise!
Tootallwal

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 01:57:55 PM »

Hey Witch,
 Were you crabbing from the pier or at the actual culvert? I'm thinking  about going out this weekend. Thanks in sdvance . Smiley
 Wally

There's no such thing as too many  blue crabs and to much old bay and Yuengling !!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home